Main Menu

RIPs

Started by Quirkafleeg, 27 February, 2006, 03:03:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Professor Bear

God, that's depressing - he was once part of the cultural furniture he was that ubiquitous, and in so many great and memorable roles, too.  I haven't seen Good Morning Vietnam in years and that needs to be corrected soon.

Bolt-01

Ah, stomm. Genuinely upset.

Fungus

Even sadder news given the circumstances. Upsetting.

Sideshow Bob

Absolutely dreadful and unexpected news about the death of Robin Williams....
A really great actor ( saw him recently, in Good Will Hunting and he was marvellous ) and also an extremely funny stand up comic.    Will be sadly missed...RIP Robin Williams, you made millions laugh !!
" This is absolutely NO PLACE for a lover of Food, Fine Wine and the Librettos of RODGERS and HAMMERSTEIN "......Devlin Waugh.

My Comic Art Fans Gallery :  http://www.comicartfans.com/GalleryDetail.asp?GCat=91890

COMMANDO FORCES

That news is quite shocking and terribly sad!

From when he was on telly as Mork, through his extremely energentic live comedy routines to seeing him portray various characters through his films, I've enjoyed his work enormously. A very talented man and very giving, having read the Christopher Reeves autobiography, he helped pay for a lot of his medical costs!

CrazyFoxMachine

I used to IDOLISE Robin Williams as a kid - this is one of those deaths that seems too big to be real.

TordelBack

Hard to believe.  A truly outstanding stand-up, and so many great roles in key TV shows and films (and not a few awful ones).  Thinking about his body of work, it's hard to believe he was so young.  Desperately sad news.

Free the little guy!

Frank

Dunk!

Sudden crappy news and someone you'd think had everything to live for.

His films have had a presence throughout my life and as a fan of the book he was an excellent Garp.

Someone at work just mentioned The Fisher King and I let out an audible "FUCK!" that's still echoing around the early morning office.

You'll be missed Mr Williams, especially in my house.

Dunk!
"Trust we"

Daveycandlish

Ah crap.
May have to dig one of his stand up videos out of the garage to watch tonight. 
An old-school, no-bullshit, boys-own action/adventure comic reminiscent of the 2000ads and Eagles and Warlords and Battles and other glorious black-and-white comics that were so, so cool in the 70's and 80's - Buy the hardback Christmas Annual!

Goaty

Dammit! RIP Robin, always loved him in his films, Good Morning Vietnam and many.

How weird as was watch The Family Guy last night on BBC3 when Peter turning everybody he touches into Robin Williams.

Sleep well my good man.

Minkyboy

O Captain! My Captain!
:'(
Fiddling while Rome burns

"is being made a brain in a jar a lot more comen than I think it is." - Cyberleader2000

Goaty

'Robin Williams was an airman, a doctor, a genie, a nanny, a president, a professor, a bangarang Peter Pan and everything in between. But he was one of a kind. He arrived in our lives as an alien - but he ended up touching every element of the human spirit.' - President Obama

Bubba Zebill

And if it was suicide as a result of depression it shows just how vigilant family members of people suffering this disease have to be, despite all his success and charitable work and joy that he brought people, this thing could still lay him low. I'm genuinely saddened by this news, we need all the laughs we can get in this world. Poor soul.
Judge Dredd : The Dark (Gamebook)
http://tinmangames.com.au/blog/?p=3105

TordelBack

Quote from: Goaty on 12 August, 2014, 10:36:44 AM
'Robin Williams was an airman, a doctor, a genie, a nanny, a president, a professor, a bangarang Peter Pan and everything in between. But he was one of a kind. He arrived in our lives as an alien - but he ended up touching every element of the human spirit.' - President Obama

Note he doesn't include creepy photo booth guy, gay director, homeless loon or murderer.  But fair play to Obama's writers, not a bad job there.

It'd maybe be something if this sad end to a great life finally allowed people to see that the darkest depression is not the product of an inability to cope with hard times or a weakness of character but rather something that can destroy you when you're on top of the world, and one of the planet's finest people.  Depression tells you you're none of those things, and you and the world would be better off without you: how wrong that is.