Main Menu

Doctor Who: The Eleventh Hour

Started by Jim_Campbell, 03 April, 2010, 07:47:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

TordelBack

Quote from: House of Usher on 04 April, 2010, 01:38:14 PM
Maybe They've now decided none of that happened, and a bit like the Crisis on Infinite Earths, nobody remembers any of it properly apart from the Psycho-pirate, locked up in Arkham Asylum?

Or maybe it took place before all that?  Seeing as most of this episode took place two years before 'the present' (although there were an absurd number of iPhones for 2008)?  I've lost track of how many individual highly-public Christmas disasters there've been (three?) .  Everyone did forget the moronic Toklophane/Master thing, didn't they?

Mardroid

Quote from: TordelBack on 04 April, 2010, 09:15:52 PM
Quote from: House of Usher on 04 April, 2010, 01:38:14 PM
Maybe They've now decided none of that happened, and a bit like the Crisis on Infinite Earths, nobody remembers any of it properly apart from the Psycho-pirate, locked up in Arkham Asylum?

Or maybe it took place before all that?  Seeing as most of this episode took place two years before 'the present' (although there were an absurd number of iPhones for 2008)?

Maybe most of the episode happened present day and the last bit two years in the future? Did we see the dates at all throughout the episode? (We might have, I genuinely didn't notice.)

brendan1

Everybody does know that it's a early-peak, Saturday night, BBC TV children's programme, right?

Jim_Campbell

Quote from: brendan1 on 04 April, 2010, 09:29:05 PM
Everybody does know that it's a early-peak, Saturday night, BBC TV children's programme, right?

Point?

Jim
Stupidly Busy Letterer: Samples. | Blog
Less-Awesome-Artist: Scribbles.

vzzbux

He is a time lord with a time machine so present day is slightly out of the window. Being aired now doesn't necessarily mean it is happening at this time and space.
You are all a bunch of bloody purists.

V
Drokking since 1972

Peace is a lie, there's only passion.
Through passion, I gain strength.
Through strength I gain power.
Through power, I gain victory.
Through victory, my chains are broken.

brendan1

Quote from: Jim_Campbell on 04 April, 2010, 09:30:17 PM
Quote from: brendan1 on 04 April, 2010, 09:29:05 PM

Point?

Jim

That perhaps the over-analysis of such a piece of mainstream entertainment ephemera is, oh I dunno, a bit fucking absurd?

I do like Dr Who? Yup. But poring over it in this manner is a bit like critiquing the A-Team for miltary realism.

The ONLY valid questions are as follows:

1) Is the new bloke any good? The last fella was brilliant and amazingly popular with viewers, and rightly so
2) Are the new stories fun/ exciting/ scary/ as good as the rest of the RTD era?
3) Are the supporting cast excellent?
4) The theme tune

Jim_Campbell

Quote from: brendan1 on 04 April, 2010, 09:38:06 PM

That perhaps the over-analysis of such a piece of mainstream entertainment ephemera is, oh I dunno, a bit fucking absurd?

You know this is the internet, right?

Cheers

Jim

golledge100

QuoteThat perhaps the over-analysis of such a piece of mainstream entertainment ephemera is, oh I dunno, a bit fucking absurd?

You know this is the internet, right?

Cheers

Jim
Professional Co/quote]

Your point?

TordelBack

Over-analysing popular culture  is what the internet is for, and was long before there was a World Wide Web.  

I will never understand why asking questions about the chronology of a time-travel show is inappropriate.

And while it's not essential, wondering whether the Doctor's world-rousing actions have any consequences whatsoever does seem somewhat connected to the point of an episode where he does it again, using Patrick Moore.

Richard

So the whole world is supposed to know who the Doctor is just because he waved at the Queen out of the window of a passing spaceship, through a narrow porthole, from a distance of a couple of hundred yards, travelling at very high speed? I think you could forgive people for not recognising him.

The timeline in which the Toklophones appeared was was obliterated when the Doctor changed the course of history to prevent it ever having happened. The other two Christmas disasters didn't give the Doctor any publicity.

Anyway:

Quote1) Is the new bloke any good?
Yes he is. I didn't think he would be after his debut on New Year's Eve, but I am greatly reassured by his first full episode that he will do fine.
Quote2) Are the new stories fun/ exciting/ scary/ as good as the rest of the RTD era?
This week's one was brilliant. Also Steven Moffat wrote pretty much all of my favourite episodes from 2005-2009, so I have very high hopes for the rest of this year.
Quote3) Are the supporting cast excellent?
I think there is a consensus emergign about Amy Pon/Karen Gillan...
Quote4) The theme tune
Strictly speaking, that isn't a question.

Jim_Campbell

Quote from: Richard on 04 April, 2010, 10:05:40 PM

The timeline in which the Toklophones appeared was was obliterated when the Doctor changed the course of history to prevent it ever having happened.

And yet people strangely seemed to remember it in the RTD finale.

No point, just an observation.

Cheers

Jim

Tiplodocus

I don't watch it slavishly enough to know the finer detail but I had the general impression that The Doctor was well known in our day and age. Obviously not. That's that plot hole fixed for me then.

Be excellent to each other. And party on!

TordelBack

Quote from: Richard on 04 April, 2010, 10:05:40 PM
The other two Christmas disasters didn't give the Doctor any publicity.

Apart from the Prime Minister begging for his aid on National Telly on Christmas Day?

QuoteI think you could forgive people for not recognising him.

Well everyone, yes, but people who know someone who has been obsessed with him for their whole lives, and visited psychiatrists because of it?

I am of course needlessly picking holes - none of that stuff bothered me in the current episode.  The silly egotistical showboating and rehashing of recent plots, yes.

golledge100

QuoteNo point, just an observation.

Cheers

Jim/quote]

I'd argue that telling someone who is writing on an internet message board that what they are communicating on is a part of the internet is a pretty obvious and pointless "observation" so there must be another reason for the remark.

Jim_Campbell

Quote from: golledge100 on 04 April, 2010, 11:31:01 PM
I'd argue that telling someone who is writing on an internet message board that what they are communicating on is a part of the internet is a pretty obvious and pointless "observation" so there must be another reason for the remark.

Merely a placeholder for the reams and reams that I could write had I the time or energy on the subject of "Why the writing of Russell T Davies is objectively shit and makes me so angry that I could actually visit physical violence on someone."

Signal to noise ratio seems to be off tonight on here. Apologies to all for my contribution to this.

Cheers

Jim

PS: The quote tags are automatic ... try not to fuck 'em up, eh?