Main Menu

The Political Thread

Started by The Legendary Shark, 09 April, 2010, 03:59:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

JamesC

Quote from: Smith on 15 July, 2020, 06:12:18 PM
Quote from: JamesC on 15 July, 2020, 06:10:28 PM
People are going to base their opinions about what you write by both the content, your demeanor and what you choose to respond to or bring up.
Making inferences is both natural and reasonable and does not constitute telling you what you think.
Yes,it does.

You obviously want this very much to be true.
It makes it so much easier to pick fights.

Smith

Quote from: JamesC on 15 July, 2020, 06:18:05 PM
People are going to base their opinions about what you write by both the content, your demeanor and what you choose to respond to or bring up.
Making inferences is both natural and reasonable and does not constitute telling you what you think.
Yes,it does.

You obviously want this very much to be true.
It makes it so much easier to pick fights.
If somebody asks one question you can totally deduct their whole life story from it. Especially on the internet.

JamesC

Well, I was going to respond to Smith but I think mg1 has responded with all the eloquence that was warranted.

Dandontdare

Yes,it does.

Is this a five minute argument or the full half hour?

Smith

Smith

Quote from: Dandontdare on 15 July, 2020, 07:08:47 PM
Yes,it does.

Brigading.

Funt Solo

So, the question in the article is was US Secretary of State Mike Pompeo just posting an innocent picture of his puppy, or was he deliberately trolling the Chinese president Xi Jinping (who wags have compared to Winnie the Pooh, leading to massive China-wide censorship of the friendly fictional bear).

So, a story about deliberate trolling and childish tantrums.
++ A-Z ++  coma ++

Smith

Quote from: Funt Solo on 15 July, 2020, 07:57:17 PM

So, the question in the article is was US Secretary of State Mike Pompeo just posting an innocent picture of his puppy, or was he deliberately trolling the Chinese president Xi Jinping (who wags have compared to Winnie the Pooh, leading to massive China-wide censorship of the friendly fictional bear).

https://youtu.be/utLrtEvF6gk

Dandontdare

Quote from: Smith on 15 July, 2020, 07:16:15 PM
Quote from: Dandontdare on 15 July, 2020, 07:08:47 PM
Yes,it does.

Brigading.

You're obviously more experienced with internet trolling than I am as I don't even know what that means.

Come to think of it, I don't even care enough to google it or continue this conversation.

You are tiresome. Goodbye.

sheridan

Quote from: Funt Solo on 15 July, 2020, 07:57:17 PM

Not like this thread today then?

IndigoPrime

Funt Solo

Talking of politics, support for wearing face masks is oddly being driven down party lines, rather than by people listening to medical advice. Even when people do wear a mask, a small percentage seem to think that the nose doesn't count.

And, while masking up is not the whole story, people are suggesting some correlation with the data:

++ A-Z ++  coma ++

Tjm86

So the Face Mask debate rages on with policy more and more resembling Kermit the Frog in a Blender.  From the 'murrican point of view there is a line of thought that wearing is seen as a tacit criticism of Trump.  The debate this side of the pond seems to revolve around whether or not it is too much of an imposition, does any good or makes you feel self conscious.  Simply put, there seems to be no end of puerile reasons not to wear it, with one LBC caller describing them as "face nappies" (which, as was observed, seriously raises questions about what comes out of his mouth!).

It feels a little like the wheels have come off this completely.  Scientists are being honest about the data that is still equivocal to say the least.  Politicians in the UK are burning through credibility at a dizzying rate.  It's no  wonder folks don't know which way to go.  Police say rules are unenforceable.  Shopkeepers are told to police the rules (aye, they're going to kick out potential paying customers at a time when they're trying to keep their business afloat).

This just feels symptomatic (sorry) of where we are at right now.  We spend more time arguing about crap than getting on and doing something.   :(

Funt Solo

BBC article: Portland protests: Oregon state files lawsuit against federal US government

Key quote: "federal officers in unmarked vehicles appeared to forcefully seize protesters from the streets and detain them without justification".

Trump's extra-judicial goon squads are detaining non-violent protesters, basically.

++ A-Z ++  coma ++

Professor Bear

They've been doing it for years already to Latinos, and it's gone without any real challenge so why wouldn't they escalate it to others on their list of enemies?  Me, though, I was hard at work doing real grassroots political activism to fight it - I was tweeting the Niemoller poem at least once a week.
No matter what happens next, my conscience is clear.