Main Menu

Photoshop Horror!

Started by CrazyFoxMachine, 02 February, 2011, 02:44:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

CrazyFoxMachine

Allo fellas -

Have googled it but cannot find owt. A PSD file of mine is opening blank (just a flat black background colour) - but it's 'preview' snapshot has it as it was. I do have a backup version but I've done a ton of editing since and I don't want to have to replace unless I've no alternative.

Any thoughts?

uncle fester

If you throw it over, I could have a look from here?

Dandontdare

Hidden layers perhaps? I once thought I'd deleted a drawing when I'd accidentally moved the single-colour background layer to the front.

Professor Bear

I've had this happen to Tiff files and blamed Vista to save time on Googling for an explanation.  Trust me, the statistics are on my side with this one.

Can't help you, all the same, though the exact same thing has happened - the preview thumbnail looks as it was, but the actual file is 'empty' and registers as 0kb, which I'm reasonably sure isn't possible.
Regularly back stuff up is the only practical advice I can offer. 

Jim_Campbell

I know this is no help to CFM, but I have never understood how InDesign can reopen after a crash and present you with a version of your document that's as near to how you last had it as you could reasonably hope, whilst Photoshop, which spends its time filling as many hard drives as you can attach to your machine with vast temporary files that record your document history in minutest detail, is unable to reconstruct a single pixel beyond the last time you hit 'Save'...

Never mind. Add it to the endless "Adobe WTF?" list...

Cheers

Jim
Stupidly Busy Letterer: Samples. | Blog
Less-Awesome-Artist: Scribbles.

Banners

Quote from: Jim_CampbellAdd it to the endless "Adobe WTF?" list...

We really should have an "Adobe WTF" thread...

Yesterday, I found a bug when moving between Illustrator and Acrobat which turns hyphens into Euro symbols. This came to light after a client received their printing and complained about this (which I hadn't noticed), meaning that I now need to fund a second print run myself. Bah...!

radiator

Check your layers, masks and channels, that's all I can suggest.

It sounds like your file might have been corrupted.

uncle fester

Quote from: Banners on 02 February, 2011, 05:11:26 PM
We really should have an "Adobe WTF" thread...

Seconded.

Yesterday, I found a bug when moving between Illustrator and Acrobat which turns hyphens into Euro symbols.

On a similar thing I found out the hard way that copying and pasting into Illustrator from anything else makes any and all kerning vanish. 

SuperSurfer

Try pasting artwork from Illustrator to Photoshop for web use and see happens to colours. What a pain.

johnnystress

Flash to Illustrator-- colours, gradients wtf

pain in the hole

CrazyFoxMachine

Yeah - all fixed now.

And by fixed - I mean I had to go back to a previously saved version and start again.

Sigh.

CrazyFoxMachine

MORE PHOTOSHOP HORROR!

This is CS5 with Windows 7 -

I was colouring a page, finished my session - saved and closed. AS PER USUAL. Upon opening the document again I was greeted by the message

"Could not complete your request because the file is not compatible with this version of Photoshop"

! After some investigation it APPEARS (although it may not be entirely so) that a "video layer" or somesuch has become corrupted and Photoshop is unable to read it. Someone suggested opening it in older version that doesn't care about video layers or whatever - and salvaging what I have. Or using Gimp to do likewise. Tried Gimp - which literally didn't even give it a go.

Any thoughts?!?!?!

Argh

DoomBot

Is it definitely a corrupt file or a software problem? I have PS CS5/ win 7 and could try opening it if you like....

CrazyFoxMachine

Well, every other file is fine which is suspicious - I wouldn't mind someone taking a peek - PM me your e-mail