Main Menu

Last movie watched...

Started by SmallBlueThing, 04 February, 2011, 12:40:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Hawkmumbler

LOCAL HERO

Now I don't know what on gruds green earth took me so long to finally watch this absolutely heart of gold gem, but i'm glad I did, this week of all times. Been feeling extremely homesick for the see and the Channel Islands of late, away from family, from the sea and sky and air, and away from home for so long has...hurt.

Local Hero brought it all back, and actually made me a bit weepy (that final shot, bloody hell, that final shot). I can see this becoming a personal favorite.

Funt Solo

You got me snooping and I found a wee piece by Mark Kermode on The YouTube: Mark Kermode discusses Local Hero with Bill Forsyth.

---

My dad took us to see Gandhi when I was a kid, but it was sold out: so he said "well, let's go and see this Local Hero thing instead", which annoyed all of us siblings (frankly - both ideas annoyed us) - made even worse because as we waited for the first screening to finish, a man and his family walked out shouting about it being the worst thing they'd ever seen.

And then, of course, it wasn't the worst thing ever - quite the opposite in fact. A real gem of a movie. (I saw Gandhi years later. Local Hero's better.)
++ A-Z ++  coma ++

pictsy

Suck

Vampire Horror Comedy Music Thing.  It's an odd little film.  A struggling band are on tour looking for fame when a vampire takes an interest in their bassist and high jinks ensue.  I found it somewhat amusing.  It has Malcolm McDowell in it, so that's a selling point (I think).

I've been watching a lot of Canadian films lately, it seems.

Keef Monkey

The Old Guard, which everyone I know seems to have disliked. We enjoyed it, action was well choreographed and it was shot in a way that said action could actually be seen which is always quite refreshing when it happens. Liked the idea, Charlize Theron beating people up is incredibly watchable, and I'd watch a sequel if it happens (which given it's apparently been wildly successful for Netflix seems likely). Literally my only complaint (and it was a biggie) is that there are a lot of what I found to be very poor choices musically. Too many vocals incorporated into the score gave it the feel of a videogame trailer at times, and the music rarely felt appropriate. Other than that it was a fun action romp.

Also watched Mayhem on Shudder and it was great fun. Basic idea is a virus that increases aggression breaks out in the office block of a law firm who incidentally had a hand in setting a legal precedent for murderers not being liable while infected, and the titular mayhem ensues. It's played for laughs (albeit very dark and gory laughs) and the two lead actors (Steven Yeun and Samara Weaving) are really great fun in it. Always liked Yeun in The Walking Dead and after this and The Babysitter and I think Weaving is fantastic so I'll be watching anything she appears in now I reckon.

CalHab

Local Hero is one of those films that I keep coming back to and thinking about. Wonderful film.

Ghost MacRoth

Midway

Another vapid, soulless, showy affair from Emmerich.  CG that makes it look like a computer game, awful acting from the principal cast, and a by the numbers 'true story' script.  Very disappointing considering the supporting cast assembled could have made it a very enjoyable film.
I don't have a drinking problem.  I drink, I get drunk, I fall over.  No problem!

broodblik

The Old Guard , watched over the weekend and I enjoyed it. The movie is very much like the comic series as well.
When I die, I want to die like my grandfather who died peacefully in his sleep. Not screaming like all the passengers in his car.

Old age is the Lord's way of telling us to step aside for something new. Death's in case we didn't take the hint.

repoman

Justice League - I liked this first time around.  Not so much this time.  The CGI is awful and there's a distinct lack of Superman in it.  I couldn't care less about Batman, Wonderwoman and Aquaman, so that's not good.  The Flash wasn't as good as his Marvel counterpart.

Suicide Squad - again, liked it the first time but not much this time.

Storage 24 - imagine Alien but in a storage unit in London.  It almost manages it too but is let down by having b-level English actors, so everyone sounds like they are a TV actor.  Also, the main man in it is Noel Clarke, so yeah.  That's never a good thing.  Liked it overall but not one to rewatch.

Saw 7 - I've been working through them all.  This is one of the less good ones.  The 3D is terrible, which I knew because I saw it in 3D in the cinema.

Dandontdare

Quote from: repoman on 21 July, 2020, 03:06:42 PM
Justice League - I liked this first time around.  Not so much this time.  The CGI is awful and there's a distinct lack of Superman in it.  I couldn't care less about Batman, Wonderwoman and Aquaman, so that's not good.  The Flash wasn't as good as his Marvel counterpart.

Suicide Squad - again, liked it the first time but not much this time.

Oddly, I have found the exact opposite with most DC movies, including these two which I have also revisited during lockdown - on the first watch I see only the faults and annoying editorial decisions and find them disappointing, but going back with lower expectations, I find I can switch off my brain and enjoy them much more. On a whim, I even forked out to rent Birds of Prey (I wasn't drunk enough to actually buy it though!)

JamesC

Eurovision Song Contest: The Story of Fire Saga

I'm not much of a Will Ferrel fan but this was good fun and I really enjoyed it.
It's pretty formulaic stuff but was a pleasant way to spend a couple of hours.
Ferrel is slightly subdued and the show is stolen by Rachel McAdams and Dan Stevens who are both fantastically watchable and likeable (and seem to be having a whale of a time).

pictsy

Troop Beverly Hills

I enjoyed Shelly Long in the Money Trap, so I gave this ago.  On the face of it, it is a mediocre family film.  Made back in a time when US culture still couldn't handle the notion of divorce so of course the divorcing parents get back together again.  Well done Hollywood for giving a generation of children false hope that their separating parents will reunite.  It's also a garish revelry in Late Stage Capitalism that portray one percenters as a downtrodden, misunderstood underdog minority.  It's tonal and textual endorsement of systemic wealth corruption is in sharp contrast of it's underlying message and moral.  A respectable moral about playing fair, doing your best, finding how to be comfortable in yourself and supporting those you care about.  Shelly Long is great in it and the child actors all do a good enough job... for the most part.  It is sweet in its presentation and amusing for it's somewhat moronic and tone deaf presentation.  Exactly the sort of thing I was in the mood for watching.

repoman

Man, they really need to sort out the spambot filters on this site.  Anyway, watched three more films.

VFW - it's basically Assault on Precinct 13 meets The Expendables.  Very gory, a bit grindhouse.  I actually really liked it.  Had a real '80s vibe, harking back to things like The Exterminator and Enemy Territory.

Remains - zombie thing based on a comic.  Absolute gash frankly.  Terrible effects, really lacking in zombies (and they aren't done particularly well) and some really poor actors.  Hated it.

13 Sins - I really like modern horror films as long as they aren't straight up b-movies.  This one was decent and was well made.  I won't get into the plot here but it's on Netflix and worth a watch.

Keef Monkey

This Is Where I Leave You, which I'd never heard of but has a great cast of recognizable names so I'll assume it bombed on release. We really enjoyed it, it's the kind of indie dysfunctional family drama that often lands for me, and we laughed a lot and found the right bits emotional.

Reached Star Trek: First Contact on the rewatch, and it's still one of the best. Great time hopping story, lots of good Borgy peril and the TNG cast getting fully into the swing of the movie thing after Generations feeling like a bit of a baton-pass. Watching them all now I did miss the OG crew, but that's just a symptom of watching them all so close together like this.

Oh and I finally finished off Deadwood by watching the movie, and it was fantastic. It really is the perfect send-off for the characters and I was surprised how much it felt like seeing some old pals considering I only started watching the show relatively recently. It must have really felt particularly special for people who had watched it as aired and gone through the cancellation and waited years for the hope of some closure!

It felt like a great way to do it justice and while there's always the worry that going back to something like that so long after the fact won't work, I thought it was a couple of the best hours of Deadwood that exists so it definitely didn't disappoint. Big thanks to CrazyFoxMachine whose recommendation was what finally got me to watch the show, it was every bit as good as you said!

pictsy

The Whole Nine Yards

Matthew Perry plays an apparently likeable dentist thrown into the mob world thanks to his new neighbour.  I don't know why I picked this out to watch.  I have seen it before years ago and it really didn't leave a great impression on me.  Nor should it, it's not that good.  Nevertheless, I was surprised at how watchable it actually was.  Nothing landed particularly flat, but the film doesn't do anything especially interesting either.  It is competently made, which I think is still worth something.

repoman

Jigsaw (Saw 8)

I've been rewatching the series.  This one wasn't bad actually.  Clever way to get Tobin Bell on screen despite his character dying about 5 films ago.