Main Menu

Back after a 34 year break

Started by Big Arena Records, 03 March, 2011, 12:18:49 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Big Arena Records

I picked up my second copy of 2000 AD today. I picked up my first copy, Prog 1, 34 years ago in 1977 when I was 7 years old.

It feels really good to be back.

flip-r mk2

Howdo and boy do you have a lot of catching up to do.

filip
It's all right, that's in every contract.
That's what they call a sanity clause.
You can't fool me, there ain't no sanity clause.

http://flip-r.deviantart.com/

http://forflipssake.blogspot.com

http://weeklythemedartblog.blogspot.com/

Time flies like an arrow, Fruit flies like a banana

Big Arena Records

Yes, I certainly have. And I'm already searching around on ebay for back issue collections!

TordelBack

Quote from: Big Arena Records on 03 March, 2011, 12:18:49 AM
I picked up my second copy of 2000 AD today. I picked up my first copy, Prog 1, 34 years ago in 1977 when I was 7 years old.

Hope you enjoy the new stuff - in particular there's this great new future cop character they introduced just after your time, and he's in it most weeks now.

Colin YNWA

Man you are going to have such a ball catching up. Good luck with it and welcome aboard.

locustsofdeath!

This post is...somewhat incredible. So, you've never read a Judge Dredd strip until yesterday...? !!! Welcome back.

Big Arena Records

Thanks! Since the most recent back issues are easy to pick up, is there a good jumping on point within easy reach?

Talking of back issues, is there a reason why there is a gap between the current issue and the last available back issue at the 2000 AD online shop?

SmallBlueThing

Im shocked and astonished that 34 years has elapsed between progs!

Some questions: why didnt you pick up prog 2? How come you were never tempted in the intervening time? And- what made you pick it up this week? Enquiring minds!

But if the answer to any of the above if 'deep coma', i'll look like a cock.

Welcome back! and youve come to the right place, by the way. It's good here. Pull up a biscuit.

SBT

flesario

Hello! My tips (ignore at will!) would be-

Get the prog and megazine every week / month, consider subscribing (get them quicker and more money to Tharg) and read it all no matter what. If you tell yourself you won't read established strips until you've 'caught up' you never will and you'll end up with even more to catch up with. The bagged Megazine re-prints, although a little hit and miss, will drip feed you previous thrills. Before long you will be reading new stories (Flesh returns soon, more continually appear) and a nice collection of progs and megs will be building.

Don't try and buy up every back issue. You will go mad and broke. Accept you can't read the lot, unless you have nothing else to do with your life. Even if you did read them all you wouldn't neccessarily enjoy them all. Selectively get your hands on collections you like the sound of or are well spoken of on this forum and enjoy them. There are loads of good paperbacks printed over the last few years, Rebellion are doing a stirling job.

Get the Dredd Casefiles.

Here endeth the lesson. Have fun!

Big Arena Records

Quote from: SmallBlueThing on 03 March, 2011, 09:30:58 AM
Im shocked and astonished that 34 years has elapsed between progs!

Some questions: why didnt you pick up prog 2? How come you were never tempted in the intervening time? And- what made you pick it up this week? Enquiring minds!

But if the answer to any of the above if 'deep coma', i'll look like a cock.

Welcome back! and youve come to the right place, by the way. It's good here. Pull up a biscuit.

SBT

I was 6 at the time and more interested in things like Whizzer and Chips (if my memory serves me correctly).

A few years later I got interested in Marvel and DC but didn't collect anything.

Fast forward to the last couple of years and I decided to start collecting comics, starting with a few Marvel and DC titles. And then, a couple of days ago I bumped into 2000 AD online on Twitter and it refreshed my memory about that comic with the frisbee thing on the front.

And from what I've seen so far I'm pretty sure that whilst I just collect the Marvel and DC stuff I will be collecting and reading 2000 AD.

Big Arena Records

Quote from: flesario on 03 March, 2011, 10:40:52 AM
Hello! My tips (ignore at will!) would be-

Get the prog and megazine every week / month, consider subscribing (get them quicker and more money to Tharg) and read it all no matter what. If you tell yourself you won't read established strips until you've 'caught up' you never will and you'll end up with even more to catch up with. The bagged Megazine re-prints, although a little hit and miss, will drip feed you previous thrills. Before long you will be reading new stories (Flesh returns soon, more continually appear) and a nice collection of progs and megs will be building.

Don't try and buy up every back issue. You will go mad and broke. Accept you can't read the lot, unless you have nothing else to do with your life. Even if you did read them all you wouldn't neccessarily enjoy them all. Selectively get your hands on collections you like the sound of or are well spoken of on this forum and enjoy them. There are loads of good paperbacks printed over the last few years, Rebellion are doing a stirling job.

Get the Dredd Casefiles.

Here endeth the lesson. Have fun!

Thanks. I didn't pick up the magazine, just the comic, but next time I'm down the shops I'll grab it.

And I'll definitely subscribe! One issue (well, I suppose two, technically) and I'm hooked!

SmallBlueThing

Excellent, glad it wasnt the coma! yeah, as said above, there are literally close to a hundred thousand pages of strip between when you left off, and when you picked it up again. That's way too much for one person to read without going insane. So, get the prog, try the meg, and selectively buy or use a library to catch up on the best of the last 34 years. Vital bits: Nemesis the warlock (all, in order), dredd casefiles (selected), slaine (vols 1-4 especially, but if you like tem there's loads more), nikolai dante, kingdom, abc warriors, strontium dog, halo jones, cradlegrave, d.r and quinch, flesh books one and two, and personally speaking sinister dexter.

Have fun.

SBT
Also six when prog one hit.

Van Dom

Hey there mate!
That's a heck of a story! But it doesn't matter about all the years you missed  - the main thing is , you're here now!
Enjoy!
Van Dom! El Chivo! Bhuna! Prof T Bear! And More! All in Vanguard Edition Three, available now. Check the blog or FB page for details!

VANGUARD COMIC!

VANGUARD FACEBOOK PAGE!

locustsofdeath!

Quote from: flesario on 03 March, 2011, 10:40:52 AM

Accept you can't read the lot, unless you have nothing else to do with your life.

Ahem, I recently reread every prog from 1 to present and I have plenty to do in my life. Too  much, in fact.

DrJomster

You know, that's the longest break from the prog that's actually possible isn't it? :D

Welcome back matey!

As mentioned above, Rebellion are doing a fantastic job with the graphic novels so there's stacks of great stuff to get into.
The hippo has wisdom, respect the hippo.