Main Menu

Prog 1725 - Destroyer of worlds!

Started by mygrimmbrother, 12 March, 2011, 08:50:59 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dandontdare

I love the idea of Slaine's Time Monster being this dino! I got quite excited as I was reading this episode as I noticed each pic of the T-rex was from the same side, so we only ever could see ... one eye!

Then I turned over the page and he'd drawn one form the other side, so bollocks to that theory!

I also didn't understand why he needed to swap helmets - the idea of Deredd striding around in a white rookie helemt did amuse me though. As for lawgivers, it seems to vary in different stories as to whether they are palm-printed to be fired by judges only, or by one specific judge only

House of Usher

The time beast in Slaine could be just any t-rex from Flesh. There's a mention of hunting time-unstable raptors in the 23rd century, so there's no reason to assume that Gorehead is the only t-rex that's been exposed to time radiation.
STRIKE !!!

Minkyboy

Quote from: Proudhuff on 14 March, 2011, 12:22:52 PM

And why the change of helmet with the Cadet? surely Dredd's s eyes were frazzled not the helmet and I didn't understand the lawgiver change over? palm-prints etc? I'm assuming its me being thick as Mr Ewing know his stuff better than I do.

Helmets have got comms gear and other computer stuff in as do the lawgivers, I assumed they were knocked out by the EMP no? Perhaps they don't come with auto-reboot software like bionic eyes do? ;)
Although, unless cadets guns are not palm printed like full judges he should have had to take the auto destruct out. But he has done that enough times before, maybe he did it off camera?
Fiddling while Rome burns

"is being made a brain in a jar a lot more comen than I think it is." - Cyberleader2000

opaque

I seem to remember that senior judges palmprints would work on other judges lawgivers.

Dredd: Very nice, EMP gives us a nice bit of depth and it's a good ending

Shakara: Loving it. Great story, great artwork and it's all coming together

Flesh: I'm sorry but this artwork looks utterly bloody awful! I don't think it's the artist atall but the reproduction. Look at Shakara, lovely lines detailed artwork reproduced wonderfully, but why in Flesh is everything all black and blurry? If you look at the penultimate page the Karolos head and the Vegas head look good, so why is the rest of it so bad? Looks like it's been scanned at the wrong resolution or something. For such a big story I'm surprised it's been treated so badly.

Future Shock: Very nice indeed, exactly what a Future Shock should be

Kingdom: I can see why it ended like that but thats weak for me. I did like the summing up from the past though. I can see the next page being 'and they were all killed by a massive swarm of bugs the following day'.

radiator

Looking at the link posted earlier, I must confess that I much prefer James McKay's more delicate earlier work. Some of the pages he has done for the Euro market are stunning - and I'd much sooner see that sort of thing in the prog.

Not massively keen on his Flesh stuff so far - it's a bit messy and lacks clarity imo - it feels as if all the shading is smothering the nice drawing underneath.

Dan

Surprised nobodies yet mentioned (unless I missed it) the panel in Shakara where [spoiler]one of the egg-head guys gets a 'soldier' dunked in him![/spoiler]. Cracked me up!

Great prog. On a par with last week which is saying a lot.

Toni Scandella

Ace prog, and I can't really add anything other than all the stories were great, with Flesh being the one I read three times as I enjoyed it so much.

Re Dredd's helmet swap - this also stumped me a bit, but I have some vague notions of the visors having some kind of display in them - and certainly they seem to be capable of receiving radio stuff from Control - so maybe that's why he needed a working one?

Lawgivers... it seems to be up to the individual writer whether they can be fired by only the Judge they are palm printed to, or whether they can be fired by anyone with proper authorisation - it would make sense that another Judge could be authorised to pick up and use a Lawgiver, but the self-destruct explodey trick would happen if a perp tried to fire one - and  I have definitely read somewhere that the failsafe is to 'prevent unauthorised use' - it would be nice to have a definitive answer, though - even if only geeky JDRPG gamesmaster reasons...

Dark Jimbo

Quote from: Proudhuff on 14 March, 2011, 12:22:52 PM
Not sure about the intro of another got-away baddie very few of whom seem to return to the prog, (isn't the big Meg populated with loads of these guys?

In a city of 400 million people that covers most of the entire American Eastern seaboard, I'm sure there's room for the odd perp to slip away unoticed from time to time... In fact, I'd say it would be rather unrealistic if they didn't.
@jamesfeistdraws

Minkyboy

Quote from: Toni Scandella on 14 March, 2011, 05:37:50 PM
Lawgivers... it seems to be up to the individual writer whether they can be fired by only the Judge they are palm printed to, or whether they can be fired by anyone with proper authorisation - it would make sense that another Judge could be authorised to pick up and use a Lawgiver, but the self-destruct explodey trick would happen if a perp tried to fire one - and  I have definitely read somewhere that the failsafe is to 'prevent unauthorised use' - it would be nice to have a definitive answer, though - even if only geeky JDRPG gamesmaster reasons...

Well Dredd had to take out the self destruct in order to use Judge Hoolihan's Lawgiver in 'Goodnight Kiss' and Kraken got his hand blown off by using a borrowed Lawgiver in 'Necropolis'. So that is canon to me!
Fiddling while Rome burns

"is being made a brain in a jar a lot more comen than I think it is." - Cyberleader2000

House of Usher

Quote from: Dan on 14 March, 2011, 05:01:35 PM
Surprised nobodies yet mentioned (unless I missed it) the panel in Shakara where [spoiler]one of the egg-head guys gets a 'soldier' dunked in him![/spoiler]. Cracked me up!

Oh! Duh. When I saw that all I thought was "ouch - that looks painful."  :D
STRIKE !!!

Proudhuff

Quote from: House of Usher on 14 March, 2011, 08:54:56 PM
Quote from: Dan on 14 March, 2011, 05:01:35 PM

Oh! Duh. When I saw that all I thought was "ouch - that looks painful."  :D

eggzactly    ::)
DDT did a job on me

vzzbux

Maybe all cadet lawgivers are open to all Senior Judges/Council of five members.

V
Drokking since 1972

Peace is a lie, there's only passion.
Through passion, I gain strength.
Through strength I gain power.
Through power, I gain victory.
Through victory, my chains are broken.

locustsofdeath!

Cover of the drokking millennium!!!

I mean it, this is one of my favorite comic covers ever! Brilliant! Brilliant! Brilliant!

And Flesh is arsom. So is Shakara. So is Kingdom.

And that is my review  :P.

radiator

QuoteLawgivers... it seems to be up to the individual writer whether they can be fired by only the Judge they are palm printed to, or whether they can be fired by anyone with proper authorisation - it would make sense that another Judge could be authorised to pick up and use a Lawgiver, but the self-destruct explodey trick would happen if a perp tried to fire one - and  I have definitely read somewhere that the failsafe is to 'prevent unauthorised use' - it would be nice to have a definitive answer, though - even if only geeky JDRPG gamesmaster reasons...

I've always been under the impression that it is possible to override/disable the lawgivers self-destruct mechanism, but only senior judges are trained/have the authority to do so - we see Dredd doing it to a fellow judges lawgiver in the story Dead Reckoning when he needs a quick replacement.

Colin Zeal

Good prog. I'm rather sad at Kingdom finishing its run. Hurry back Gene dog.