Main Menu

Glorious Kevin O'Neill art for sale

Started by Dunk!, 04 May, 2011, 10:06:00 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

blackmocco

Can't stop thinking about these prices. Such a shame.

I've a few O'Neill original Nemesis pieces at home on the wall. Bought the first one for 35 pounds when my older brother brought me to London when I was 14 and later I ordered a double spread from Book III for 200 a few years later. Always wanted something from Metalzoic as I think it's some of the best work O'Neill's done and actually felt hopeful it would be affordable as let's face it, it's not that well known a title but these prices have seriously bummed me out.

Sorry. Depressed rant over...
"...and it was here in this blighted place, he learned to live again."

www.BLACKMOCCO.com
www.BLACKMOCCO.blogspot.com

ming

Those prices are high, for sure... but bear in mind that Kev's got a very high profile these days and with a limited supply of his art and increasing demand, prices will reflect this.  Also, these are mostly high-end pieces and almost *any* classic-period 2000AD cover will be pretty damn expensive these days.

I've also been told than Kev doesn't really like selling his art or seeing it up for sale, so that might add a premium to the prices involved.  These pieces are coming direct from Kev and most of the money will go directly to him, which is far better than an 'art dealer' scalping customers and driving prices up (like that Bisley cover for $87,000, which is horrible to see).

*rattles piggy bank and looks disappointed*

blackmocco

Quote from: ming on 05 May, 2011, 09:10:53 PM
Those prices are high, for sure... but bear in mind that Kev's got a very high profile these days and with a limited supply of his art and increasing demand, prices will reflect this.  Also, these are mostly high-end pieces and almost *any* classic-period 2000AD cover will be pretty damn expensive these days.

I've also been told than Kev doesn't really like selling his art or seeing it up for sale, so that might add a premium to the prices involved.  These pieces are coming direct from Kev and most of the money will go directly to him, which is far better than an 'art dealer' scalping customers and driving prices up (like that Bisley cover for $87,000, which is horrible to see).

*rattles piggy bank and looks disappointed*

Well let's be clear, it's purely selfish on my end when I moan about the prices. I don't begrudge O'Neill anything he makes from these. He deserves it wholeheartedly. I just want them, is all and can't afford them!!! Haha!

www.BLACKMOCCO.com

oshii

I don't recognise those Nemesis colour pages.  Are they from an annual I've forgotten?

Steve Green

The contents is from an annual, I think the others might be a poster prog.

I was talking to someone about this yesterday, and yeah I think the big difference is whether the money's going to the artist or a dealer.

Considering how much the creators got screwed over on merchandise, and where in certain cases artwork went 'missing' I don't begrudge Kevin getting it back.

That said, it's way out of my price range.

Colin YNWA

Well this kinda puts our claims that these are expensive into perspective!

http://www.bleedingcool.com/2011/05/05/frank-miller-dark-knight-returns-original-art-splash-page-sells-for-record-448125/

A nice Frank Miller page and significant goes just under $450,000. Now Its a great page and its place in comic history can't be sniffed at but finance aside I'd prefer a lot of those O'Neill pages.

Fatboydale

had a good think about these prices , Kev sold a load of pages through FB on denmark street in the mid 90's , prices ranging from £30 to £300 , and if i remember rightly boat loads did'nt sell ....so from past history Kev likes to sell his art ..just at the right price ( or over priced )

I own and have sold his covers and interior pages over the years,i put on a Marshall law cover on ebay on last year with no bids , and i was asking nowhere near what he was asking ...

Now prices are 10 times ....i must be missing something ( should be buy one get 10 free )

And yes i am jealous, because i want to own them all !!! then brag about it ...

If the money is going directly to Kev it would hurt a lot less buying a page , but hurt it would for a normal fan ...like poor old me

ming

Heh, being a very late arrival at the art collecting game, I both love and absolutely hate hearing of the long-ago days when original art was cheap and plentiful, and people had their chips wrapped in it instead of newspaper.

I remember seeing 2K art on the walls of my nearest comic shop (Nostalgia & Comics) as a kid and being in awe... If only I'd had more pocket money / sense.

Early O'Neill Nemesis (books I or II for preference) is right at the top of my wish-list, even though it may take a long, long time before I get there.  One of the most amazing artists ever, for me.

My comment about Kev's feeling about art sales may be completely wrong; just repeating what I was told by someone who bought a page off him at Comic Con a while back.

blackmocco

Can't remember the name of the store I got my first one. I do remember they'd TONS of 2000ad artwork in these poster racks. My head was about to explode looking through all of it but Nemesis and Kev's artwork had such a profound effect on me when I first discovered it that there was no question what I was going to buy.

Can't find an image of it online but it's the page from book one with Nemesis speeding through the dimension jump. First panel has Torquemada buying it in the great fire and shouting "I WILL RE...!" and Nemesis, Purity and the rescues aliens standing in Waterloo station looking at all the 'ancient ones' relics. Love that page and so happy to own it. Makes me happy every time I look at it.

www.BLACKMOCCO.com

Dr Feeley Good

What was the marshal law cover you were selling Dale ? never saw that  :'(