Main Menu

Michael Carroll's ComicBuzz interview

Started by Mike Carroll, 31 January, 2012, 03:12:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mike Carroll

The first part of James Bacon's rather lengthy interview with me about 2000 AD is now up on
ComicBuzz!

-- Mike

Kerrin

Great interview Mike. It's nice to know that such a massive fan of the Prog is now a regular writer. I look forward to the second part.

I hadn't realised you were a fellow Harrison fan. I lost a load of my Harrison books during a move back from overseas years ago and have slowly been rebuilding the collection. Picked this up from a market stall a couple of years back.

A 1966 paperback copy with genuine bookworm holes! Can't beat Slippery Jim. Well, not unless your his psychotic beauty of a wife...

Terrible photo, the tagline under the authors name reads, "Slippery Jim, interstellar con man and crook extraordinary".

maryanddavid

He is actually Harrisons Butler.

Nice interview BTW, look forwad to the next bit. I always think Sure should be Sher but that just me.

David

O Lucky Stevie!

Good call on Old One Eye there Michael.

Stevie can still remember the exact moment that his 9 year old self first read her final kill & that fizzing crest of sheer thrillpower will carry him to the grave.

Speed merged with Tiger by the way. Although it should be noted that the combination of these two particular nouns just wasn't as exciting ferocious as one would have expected.
"We'll send all these nasty words to Aunt Jane. Don't you think that would be fun?"

Fatboydale

Good interview .....still love the mock up of Judge Dredd no.1 , if only it were true ...

Albion

I enjoyed that, looking forward to part 2.

I did the same thing with The Stainless Steel Rat. Loved the prog version and went on to buy the novels as well as other Harry Harrison books. As well as science fiction his alternative history novels are great too.
Dumb all over, a little ugly on the side.

oshii

Quote from: Fatboydale on 01 February, 2012, 09:56:53 AM
Good interview .....still love the mock up of Judge Dredd no.1 , if only it were true ...

I just saw that and wondered where'd that had come from  What's the story on that?

Bat King

I just went to Mike's website to see if he has software to do my name in 2000AD font... Nope :(

Interesting read :)
Blog
http://judgetutorsemple.wordpress.com/

Twitter
@chiropterarex

Mike Carroll

Quote from: Kerrin on 31 January, 2012, 10:08:07 PM
I hadn't realised you were a fellow Harrison fan. I lost a load of my Harrison books during a move back from overseas years ago and have slowly been rebuilding the collection. Picked this up from a market stall a couple of years back.

Kerrin, that's one of the more rare paperback edition of The Stainless Steel Rat - hold onto it! (If I were you I'd keep it sealed in a sandwich bag or something, just in case it still has bookworms that might infect your other books!)

Yeah, I'm a huge fan of Harry's work. I've been running his website for the past twelve years (though it's sorely in need of a revamp), and I'm lucky enough to count Harry as a friend.

Quote from: O Lucky Stevie! on 01 February, 2012, 03:20:14 AM
Speed merged with Tiger by the way. Although it should be noted that the combination of these two particular nouns just wasn't as exciting ferocious as one would have expected.

A-ha! That rings a bell! I'm pretty sure I bought most issues of Speed when they came out, but my copies disappeared somewhere along the way. I can remember almost nothing about the strips. It's sad to think that there's hundreds of comics like that which might never be seen again.

Quote from: oshii on 01 February, 2012, 03:59:55 PM
Quote from: Fatboydale on 01 February, 2012, 09:56:53 AM

I just saw that and wondered where'd that had come from  What's the story on that?

Hi Oshii,

The cover was created as a spoof for an article in Judge Dredd Megazine a few years back... More info on my website here.

Quote from: Bat King on 01 February, 2012, 11:43:06 PM
I just went to Mike's website to see if he has software to do my name in 2000AD font... Nope :(

Bat King: If you mean the original logo, then, no, there's no software for that. I've created a few variations, but they're all done by hand. However, if you really, really want one with your name, get in touch and I'll try to find the time (no promises, though: it takes ages to do!).

-- Mike

ming

Great interview, Mike; made for some lovely reading.  As for Harry Harrison, I was always a huge fan of the adaptations in 2000AD (for me, a rare case of an adaptation working just as well as the books) and devoured the stuff like the Stainless Steel Rat books as a kid... The fact that Harry also featured in one of the old annuals also struck me as an incredibly great thing. 

Perusing eBay just now, I spotted 'The Men from P.I.G. and R.O.B.O.T.' - I'd completely forgotten about that one, along with the fact that he wrote 'Make Room, Make Room' as well...

Never forget, folks - Soylent Green is [spoiler]delicious[/spoiler].

Bat King

Quote from: Mike Carroll on 02 February, 2012, 12:36:22 PM
Quote from: Kerrin on 31 January, 2012, 10:08:07 PM

Kerrin, that's one of the more rare paperback edition of The Stainless Steel Rat - hold onto it! (If I were you I'd keep it sealed in a sandwich bag or something, just in case it still has bookworms that might infect your other books!)

Yeah, I'm a huge fan of Harry's work. I've been running his website for the past twelve years (though it's sorely in need of a revamp), and I'm lucky enough to count Harry as a friend.

Quote from: Bat King on 01 February, 2012, 11:43:06 PM

Bat King: If you mean the original logo, then, no, there's no software for that. I've created a few variations, but they're all done by hand. However, if you really, really want one with your name, get in touch and I'll try to find the time (no promises, though: it takes ages to do!).

-- Mike

I've been on Harry's website a few times... wish there was more chance of a film of Stainless Steel Rat!!!

I love Harry Harrison's work too.  Not got the latest Stainless Steel Rat yet, was hoping that they'd bring out more omnibuses so I could re-read the full set first.

Thanks for the offer, Mike.  In truth I'd not have more use for it than to tell people 'I have my name in the old 2000AS font!' and watch them being ;less impressed than they should be.  Everyone I've shown your Badger set to have been thoroughly impressed (without risk of exaggeration no one has ever not been impressed).

Actually I guess I could reverse print my 2000AD style name, put it on a T-Shirt and impress those that would be impressed.
Blog
http://judgetutorsemple.wordpress.com/

Twitter
@chiropterarex

Buttonman

A great read with more to come. He's a decent bloke that Michael Carroll and he knows Stephen Watson of Paisley fame. Also shown : John Higgins who's done some stuff in comics.

Look forward to explaining to Mike books 2-4 of Zenith and why Bluegenes would kick Angelina's ass, at Hi-Ex. Bet Mike is trembling in ant-ic-i....pation.

O Lucky Stevie!

Quote from: ming on 02 February, 2012, 12:54:03 PM
Perusing eBay just now, I spotted 'The Men from P.I.G. and R.O.B.O.T.'

Shame on you Ming -- that be Stevie's first Harry! A real treat too.

& so impressed was young Stevie that when he saw an advertisement  in the aforementioned, pre-amphetaminised Tiger for this baby

http://3.bp.blogspot.com/-WA4KCyDdkVc/TbR-cr9t3_I/AAAAAAAAGIs/uFMMdAvtaw8/s1600/2000ad.JPG

he somehow managed to convince his Nan to return thrill power to the household.*

That is how truly, magnificently great Harrison is.

*Once again for the record...Waking up screaming in terror of the giant spiders from Flesh several years previously was A Single Isolated Incident. You got that Mister Rumpole?
"We'll send all these nasty words to Aunt Jane. Don't you think that would be fun?"

ming

Quote from: O Lucky Stevie! on 03 February, 2012, 06:34:41 AM
Quote from: ming on 02 February, 2012, 12:54:03 PM
Perusing eBay just now, I spotted 'The Men from P.I.G. and R.O.B.O.T.'

Shame on you Ming -- that be Stevie's first Harry! A real treat too.

Don't get me wrong - I read it, just that it was so long ago that I'd forgotten all about it... Seeing the title gave me a real jolt; must pick up a copy and introduce it to the boys asap (is one-and-a-half and three too young? ;)).

oshii

Quote from: Mike Carroll on 02 February, 2012, 12:36:22 PM

The cover was created as a spoof for an article in Judge Dredd Megazine a few years back... More info on my website here.

Ah, that clears that one up, Thanks Mike.  I like the one with the 100 page progs done as old school annuals on your site.  Despite being 40, I still get a mild pang of disappointment on Christmas morning when I don't get a 2000AD annual.