Main Menu

Prog 1779: Rise of the Reptoids

Started by The Enigmatic Dr X, 14 April, 2012, 08:58:03 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Colin YNWA

Quote from: The Cosh on 15 April, 2012, 10:25:01 PM

Quote from: Colin_YNWA on 15 April, 2012, 09:24:34 PM
The current teasers seem to back this up as a possibility, given the date they are running, so I reckon someone else is going to get to play with them. Is the next Meg being released in the date shown on that teaser?
No. Next Meg is out next week. I'm fairly certain Dr X has it right: Eve of Destruction will finish next week with the DJs escaping their containment and Day of Chaos proper will start in Prog 1781 with that cover date.

Actually yeah that makes sense, much more so than my clutching at straws. Oh well I guess we'll see how it goes then...

...and we still have PJ to come back... Its going to be a busy old story...

radiator

Don't really agree with the backlash - if you're going to follow messageboards, speculate in threads etc then you're going to inevitably run into the odd spoiler from time to time.

I dare say it's nice to see Rebellion finally making a decent effort to promote things like this - I've always been baffled as to why they historically haven't made a bigger fuss about big stories. All the biggest events usually pass with little fanfare.

Quotethe first set of promo images and "They are coming..." worked well, as no-one knew quite what they referred to. The second set taken in conjunction with the date pretty clearly suggested the Dark Judges would be turning up in DoC.

That probably would have been the ideal, but they'll learn for next time I guess. Anyway, good to see you back here, Amstor.

a chosen rider

Quote from: radiator on 16 April, 2012, 09:26:04 AMI dare say it's nice to see Rebellion finally making a decent effort to promote things like this - I've always been baffled as to why they historically haven't made a bigger fuss about big stories. All the biggest events usually pass with little fanfare.

Yep - I've been really pleased to see the amount of increased coverage 2000 AD is getting at CBR in recent weeks.  In most of the time I've been hanging around that site, there's been a single "Shouldn't 2000 AD be more appreciated?" thread, usually buried a couple of pages back in the independent publisher forum, but since the 35th anniversary there's been a steady stream of news items keeping it in view.  That kind of publicity needs to continue, and I hope Rebellion can keep the ball rolling.  Promoting the actual stories they're telling instead of just external things like the movie and the IDW deal is a long-overdue move: "Thrills of the future" promos are something that really ought to be getting out to major comic news sites, not just advertised to the people who are reading the prog already.
On Twitter @devilsfootsteps

IndigoPrime

The reality about publicity is that there are going to be teasers and spoilers. See: every single book (snippets in newspapers; interviews with writers), movie (trailers, which are increasingly edits of practically the entire movie; interviews with stars; news items in magazines; reviews), TV show (as per movies) and game (for those with plotting).

I think it's great to see 2000 AD getting the kind of coverage that it is right now. This could potentially lead to more readers, which cements the longevity of the magazine, which is fighting a horribly tough market (recession/poor economy coupled with comics in general getting a serious kicking). The alternative is a reliance on word-of-mouth, which can sometimes work reasonably well, but I'd sooner see Rebellion's marketing firing on all cylinders like it is now—and the odd semi-spoiler lurking—than for Molch-R to go into sleep mode, just to avoid mildly annoying a few people on a forum.

TordelBack

Agree with IndigoPrime.  I dislike being spoilerised as much as the next Squaxx (hell, I haven't even read this prog yet), but there is an element of:

"GRRRR! MOLCH-R! WHY YOU NEVER GIVE US FIRST LOOK AT STUFF!"

versus

"GRRRR!  MOLCH-R!  WHY YOU GIVE US INFORMATION ABOUT UPCOMING EVENTS!!"

...about all this.  I agree I'd have preferred vaguer hints or a later date, but if we want teasers and trailers and what-not there will always be spoilers.  What did we expect when we set about trying to decipher those first symbols?  There's only one way to keep yourself pure, and that's to have no truck with the extraterrestrial.

Trout

Quote from: TordelBack on 16 April, 2012, 11:35:04 AM
"GRRRR! MOLCH-R! WHY YOU NEVER GIVE US FIRST LOOK AT STUFF!"

I've never said that. I don't care about previews. I certainly don't have the sense of entitlement that 2000AD editorial love to accuse the fans of. I just read the comic every week and enjoy some parts but not others.

Quote from: TordelBack on 16 April, 2012, 11:35:04 AM
"GRRRR!  MOLCH-R!  WHY YOU GIVE US INFORMATION ABOUT UPCOMING EVENTS!!"

I'm not saying that. I'm saying the teaser was a week too early and the Dark Judges revelation should have been made in 2000AD itself.

True to form for this board, this discussion has degenerated into an argument about the argument. I think I'll bow out politely and simply continue to enjoy the comic. In future, however, I'll be more careful about what I read online.

- Trout

TordelBack

Wasn't having a poke at you Trouty!  Just a general observation on the fickle habits of the Squaxx dek Thargo as represented across various threads.

Trout

Spaceghost

It didn't bother me in the slightest. I probably wouldn't have guessed that the images were teasing a re-appearance by the Dark Judges if I hadn't read all the discussion on this board and it still gave me fanboy tingles when I read the prog this Saturday.

I'm glad it got 2000 AD noticed elsewhere on the internet and hope that more people pick up the prog as a result.

Don't understand all the moaning to be honest.
Raised in the wild by sarcastic wolves.

Previously known as L*e B*tes. Sshhh, going undercover...

Dr Feeley Good

Quote from: radiator on 16 April, 2012, 06:25:55 AM
Be interesting to ga back and read all of Day of Chaos from the beginning - what's the betting there are a few subtle clues about this latest twist earlier on, that only now will become clear?
It certainly explains why the sovs were so eager to get rid of the pre cog cadet, she could have soon stopped this happening !

Van Dom

Quote from: Lee Bates on 16 April, 2012, 12:30:38 PM
I'm glad it got 2000 AD noticed elsewhere on the internet and hope that more people pick up the prog as a result.

Well, not that I haven't been keeping up to date with the goings-on in the prog since having to give it up at Christmas, but lack of funds or no lack of funds this is DEFINITELY going to get me back on board. I've never done the digital thing but since I'm in Japan I don't have a choice. Was on the shop earlier to buy this week's issue but the digital copies of this and last weeks arent available yet...do they tend to appear a couple of weeks after the printed copies go out?

Damn you 2000ad! (I mean that in a good way!)
Van Dom! El Chivo! Bhuna! Prof T Bear! And More! All in Vanguard Edition Three, available now. Check the blog or FB page for details!

VANGUARD COMIC!

VANGUARD FACEBOOK PAGE!

radiator

Reckon we'll see Anderson?

Can't remember seeing Wagner write her into a main Dredd strip since... Doomsday?

Van Dom

We'll have to get some Anderson if the Dark Judges are around, won't we? Man it's like Wagner is throwing the kitchen sink at this -it's brilliant! Will this story still be running when the movie is out? They're really going for broke on it. It's almost like a mega series finale arc to a series that's been running for years and years. Although, of course, it's definitely not that...  :o
Van Dom! El Chivo! Bhuna! Prof T Bear! And More! All in Vanguard Edition Three, available now. Check the blog or FB page for details!

VANGUARD COMIC!

VANGUARD FACEBOOK PAGE!

a chosen rider

Quote from: Van Dom on 16 April, 2012, 01:34:16 PMWas on the shop earlier to buy this week's issue but the digital copies of this and last weeks arent available yet...do they tend to appear a couple of weeks after the printed copies go out?

They're supposed to be up on the Friday after the print edition hits the shops, but that's brand new in the last few weeks, and there seem to be a few teething troubles.  Prog 1778 should have been out in digital on Friday and still hasn't appeared yet.  Which I am agonising over.  :(
On Twitter @devilsfootsteps

radiator

QuoteMan it's like Wagner is throwing the kitchen sink at this

I think Day of Chaos could be the Dredd epic to end all Dredd epics - there are clear shades of Block Mania, Necropolis, even The Judge Child Quest. You've got Sovs, Total War, and now the Dark Judges.