Main Menu

Threadjacking!

Started by Proudhuff, 11 June, 2012, 02:32:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Definitely Not Mister Pops

I've heard the balloon comes from the stage play where it was introduced because it was easy to, well, stage. This was then carried over in to the movie with David Niven, which adapted the play more than the book, because a lot of the heavy lifting with scripting and whatnot was already done. Apparently versions with the balloon are titled Around the World in Eighty Days, where the original was Around the World in 80 Days. Or vice versa. Big citation needed on all that, so take it with a pinch of salt.
You may quote me on that.

JayzusB.Christ

Quote from: Funt Solo on 19 April, 2021, 07:10:38 PM
Quote from: JayzusB.Christ on 19 April, 2021, 06:36:05 PM
Well, I've just finished listening to the audiobook of Around the World in 80 Days and learned what everyone else seems to have known already: nobody in it travels in a balloon, or even sees one.

Mind you, I haven't been so nervous about the conclusion of a story since Supersurf 10.

I had to check - so they added the balloon into the Disnae movie. So, if you were going to do a comic version, would you include the balloon or not?

So you're saying Jules avoids balloons but Walt Disnae? Sorry.

The comics version... Not sure about the balloon. I'd probably change it a bit though, to include lots of drinking and swearing, some blasphemous mocking of Christianity, loads of castration and a bit of buggery. All these with the stipulation that I can't write comics, so the project would be ghost-written by another, more famous Irish comics writer.

EDIT: With lots of Pogues quotes.

EDIT 2: Cheers Mister Pops, sounds as good a theory as I've heard.
"Men will never be free until the last king is strangled with the entrails of the last priest"

broodblik

0b111110100
0x1F4
D
When I die, I want to die like my grandfather who died peacefully in his sleep. Not screaming like all the passengers in his car.

Old age is the Lord's way of telling us to step aside for something new. Death's in case we didn't take the hint.

Funt Solo

Quote from: JayzusB.Christ on 19 April, 2021, 07:30:24 PM
So you're saying Jules avoids balloons but Walt Disnae?

The one I got told as a kid was:

- What's the difference between Bing Crosby and Walt Disney?
- Bing sings but Walt disnae.

Using Bing dates it a bit - we need to update it for a modern audience. Who sings now?
++ A-Z ++  coma ++

JayzusB.Christ

Quote from: Funt Solo on 19 April, 2021, 10:02:09 PM
Quote from: JayzusB.Christ on 19 April, 2021, 07:30:24 PM
So you're saying Jules avoids balloons but Walt Disnae?

The one I got told as a kid was:

- What's the difference between Bing Crosby and Walt Disney?
- Bing sings but Walt disnae.

Using Bing dates it a bit - we need to update it for a modern audience. Who sings now?

Good question! Is Ed Sheeran still popular with the kiddies?
"Men will never be free until the last king is strangled with the entrails of the last priest"

Funt Solo

That Scottish bloke sang a drunken belter of a ballad within the last five years - let's see if I can find out his name by Googling "scottish male singer" ...

... yup - it's Lewis Capaldi!

++ A-Z ++  coma ++

Funt Solo

Never-meet-your-heroes storyline in The Simpsons falls foul of gurning narcissist Morrissey as he fails to accept a small amount of reasonable criticism in a bucket of heartfelt homage. Film at 11!
++ A-Z ++  coma ++

JayzusB.Christ

Quote from: Funt Solo on 20 April, 2021, 06:52:03 PM
Never-meet-your-heroes storyline in The Simpsons falls foul of gurning narcissist Morrissey as he fails to accept a small amount of reasonable criticism in a bucket of heartfelt homage. Film at 11!

Aye, I've seen a lot of headlines about how Morrissey has reacted to a caricature of him whining by whining.  I'll never stop listening to The Smiths, but Christ, Stephen Patrick, just stop talking already.

JayzusB.Christ

Quote from: JayzusB.Christ on 10 February, 2021, 08:09:37 AM
Quote from: The Legendary Shark on 09 February, 2021, 05:04:10 PM

Thank God that day's over - it's waaaaaay too cold to be digging out drainage ditches. Even my bones feel cold.

Yep. I have a new morning chore - going onto the roof of my boat to sweep snow off the solar panels (which I bought with the money I didn't spend down the boozer during lockdown).

Just looking through this thread and found this. Fecking crikey, I was sunbathing on the same roof today, and it feels like I posted that quoted post a few days ago.

The Legendary Shark

Only difference for me is that it's now way too warm to be digging out drainage ditches. >Grumble, whinge, moan, etc.<

[move]~~~^~~~~~~~[/move]

JayzusB.Christ

Quote from: The Legendary Shark on 27 April, 2021, 07:26:33 AM

Only difference for me is that it's now way too warm to be digging out drainage ditches. >Grumble, whinge, moan, etc.<

:lol:

Proudhuff

Why can't anythread stay on topic here?
DDT did a job on me

paddykafka

Quote from: Proudhuff on 28 April, 2021, 10:42:09 AM
Why can't anythread stay on topic here?

Happy 500th Page Anniversary, Proudhuff!  :)

The Mind of Wolfie Smith

a 500th anniversary for henry viii, too, being that many years since he was made 'defender of the faith'.
are they still officially chosen by god?

The Legendary Shark

[move]~~~^~~~~~~~[/move]