Main Menu

Prog 1790 Shooting Star

Started by oshii, 30 June, 2012, 11:24:56 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

strontium71

Maybe they should hold fire and release 1791 on the Wednesday for everyone so there's no chance of the ending being spoiled?
...because I hate you.

WhitBloke

Actually, you raise a pretty fair point there, SBT.  Even speaking as a 'subbie bastard' (and proud of it!) and also never much worried by seeing spoilers I can thoroughly understand this.  Fifteen years a-brewing and we're about to see what Nikolai Dante's ending is.  That's big stuff.  Perhaps people will disagree but maybe for the Prog 1791 reviews we should have two threads.  Perhaps one for everything else and one (come on, it's big) for Dante to be taken as to be avoided by those for whom the conclusion could be irrevocably marred or even ruined.

Of course, I would agree with you, Strontium71, but I'm an otherwise selfishly greedy bugger and I likes my thrills on the Saturdays.  I can throw a pretty mean tantrum, I'll have you understand.
So this is der place then, Johnny?

Pete Wells

Quote from: strontium71 on 30 June, 2012, 02:38:50 PM
Maybe they should hold fire and release 1791 on the Wednesday for everyone so there's no chance of the ending being spoiled?

How dare you Sirs? I demand my right to know the fate of Dante four days non-subbers!

Colin YNWA

Only read Dredd and Dante but can't resist shootin' me bolt early. Dante is gold, pure gold. I could feel the muscles in my shoulders going tense as I read it. Dante's reaction to the scenario was just superb... but we're still left on tender hooks.

Dredd was such a let down. I mean really. In and of itself it was a fantastic episode, great characterisation, brilliant character in Maitland, fantastic idea... IN ANY OTHER CIRCUMSTANCE! As it stands what an almighty let down. Any reference to Day of Chaos felt as though it was done as a few lines of rewritten dialogue (I have no idea if that is true but that's how it FELT). After all that's happened I feel sorry for the writers on Dredd's coming up if they have as little context as Al Ewing seemed to have for the setting of the Post Day of Chaos Mega City One. I really hope this is sorts itself quickly as that felt just shoddy treatment to whats gone before and was terrible treatment of what would otherwise have been a really nice Dredd story.

Sorry had to get that rant off my chest. Really disappointed. I hope to return to the story at a later date and give it a fresh look once my initial emotive reaction has shimmered down.

WhitBloke

Quote from: Pete Wells on 30 June, 2012, 02:50:57 PM

How dare you Sirs? I demand my right to know the fate of Dante four days non-subbers!

Says the man who wasn't even at home when the one with his own cityblock in it came through the letterbox.  Call yourself a subbie, sir?  Feh and fie!  Wake up, chair by the door, hear postie, put out fag, lands in lap, open can, begin reading, log on, ruin things for non-subbers.  Perfect Saturday.  But, no, not you, with your swanning off to London.
Yet, through all that unfortunate logistical heartache, Brother Pete, I stand ready to fight for m... uh, your right to know the ending four days before non-subbers.  But the ending of Dante is big, big stuff...
So this is der place then, Johnny?

Pete Wells

Ha! I feel suitably told off Whitbloke!

JUDGE BURNS

A slightly average prog me thinks.

A good pic of Karl Urban as DREDD from the upcoming movie of the year !

And on inside back page : the conclusion to Dante...YES !

5 out of 10 this week ...  ;-(

Trout

Bollocks. I want my Saturday prog!  :)

SmallBlueThing

Yeah, you subbies enjoy- just remember Dante ends sooner for you lot than it does for us. So we get MORE Dante-time in our lives, so we do.

But no, just a five day holiday from the board til next wednesday, i think. Question is, do i have to avoid facebook too- will someone ruin the ending there too?

SBT

Martin Howe

Cover - Enough cover pics of Red already - we know she's a woman. Do we not have our required quota of hormonal teenage boy readers at the moment? :)

Dredd - Excellent, new (to us) Judge on the block, competent too. Good quick post-DoC story (I'm sure it is post DoC, the clues are there) and not many [spoiler]accountants[/spoiler] stand up to Dredd, let alone [spoiler]play the bad cop to him[/spoiler] :o

Durham Red - Cop-out ending. Oh he [spoiler]escaped[/spoiler], what a surprise! Otherwise OK.

3rillers - It's almost like reading Savage, in a good way.

Ichabod - In danger of being too repetitive. Something interesting needs to happen soon, but so far very good.

Dante - Vlad was once a hero? Blimey! That I DID NOT expect  :o
In space, no-one can hear you KILL an ALIEN
Facebook Flickr Twitter

I, Cosh

Quote from: Pete Wells on 30 June, 2012, 02:50:57 PM
Surely the obvious solution to this dilemma is to instigate a huge marketing blitz this week then, on Friday, replace the whole site with an enormous banner reading: Jena dies.

For the past four weeks, Dante has been pissing all over everything else in the Prog from an enormous height. No change today.

I've really enjoyed the unsettling, off-kilter sensation created by the first couple of episodes of Ichabod.

Michael Dowling has really impressed me with his art job on the last 3Rillers run and the part he's played in the only worthwhile strip in Clint. He's doing a similarly enjoyable turn on 1947 but I feel he's let down by Kek-W's by the numbers script. I am another who hopes Ed Weitz was deliberate.
We never really die.

Colin YNWA

Read the rest and no surprise Dante is head and shoulders above everything. It really is quite sublime. That's not to say the rest ain't good, its all fine stuff. Durham Red ends as the fun fluff it has always been, Ichabod is fantastic. The 3riller is a little straighter than I was hoping but still okay. Hoping there's a couple of twists and turns in the last part.

Good Prog.

vzzbux

Vlad is a doppelganger and his final events will be recorded and broadcast live as Dante fires point blank in the face of his future father in law. An incenced world towards dante at the cold blooded killing and a murderous Jenna as Dante ambles up the aisle none the wiser until Jenna fires a pistol aimed straight at his heart. Final two page spread. Vlad appears at the church entrance grinning as pregnant Jenna cradles the dying Dante.

Just a thought.

V
Drokking since 1972

Peace is a lie, there's only passion.
Through passion, I gain strength.
Through strength I gain power.
Through power, I gain victory.
Through victory, my chains are broken.

Pop Culture Bandit

My theory...and I hope I'm wrong...is that Vlad poisoned the drinks they both drank and the final episode is Dante on a frantic chase to say farewell to Jena before he dies...

OR

They live happily ever after!

(I hope it's the latter!!)

Either way, I'm tense and nervous as hell...

Proudhuff

Quote from: Martin Howe on 30 June, 2012, 07:09:20 PM
Cover - Enough cover pics of Red already - we know she's a woman. Do we not have our required quota of hormonal teenage boy readers at the moment? :)

Dredd - Excellent, new (to us) Judge on the block, competent too. Good quick post-DoC story (I'm sure it is post DoC, the clues are there) and not many [spoiler]accountants[/spoiler] stand up to Dredd, let alone [spoiler]play the bad cop to him[/spoiler] :o

Durham Red - Cop-out ending. Oh he [spoiler]escaped[/spoiler], what a surprise! Otherwise OK.

3rillers - It's almost like reading Savage, in a good way.

Ichabod - In danger of being too repetitive. Something interesting needs to happen soon, but so far very good.

Dante - Vlad was once a hero? Blimey! That I DID NOT expect  :o

Wot 'e said
DDT did a job on me