Main Menu

Prog 1882 - Chop Chop!

Started by JamesC, 17 May, 2014, 12:31:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

JamesC

Cover - A nice wrap around Slaine image from Simon Davis.

Nerve Centre- Just a quick word of warning, the nerve centre spoils the 3riller slightly. Nothing major but you may want to avoid it.

Dredd - Shooters Night ends well, if perhaps a bit downbeat. I've really enjoyed this story and John McCrea's art has been excellent.

Indigo Prime - Enjoyably bonkers and a bit creepy. Some lovely monster art by Lee Carter.

Slaine - This is an action packed episode with some nefarious goings on happening in the background. I've lost the plot but it's still enjoyable. I wish I was appreciating the art the way others seem to be. I can tell it's good quality and well done but it just doesn't suit the strip in my opinion.

3riller - A good ending to a thoroughly enjoyable story. I've said it before and I'll say it again - can we have a collection please Tharg?

Outlier - For some reason I was expecting this to be the final episode but it's not. Things take a slightly unexpected turn and we learn a little more about the Hurde. This continues to be a fun thrill.

A good prog overall and I'm looking forward to seeing what replaces the 3riller next week (Future Shock? Double length Slaine?)

Frank

Quote from: JamesC on 17 May, 2014, 12:31:28 PM
Cover - A nice wrap around Slaine image from Simon Davis

Jesus, Lord in Heaven! Can't wait for Pete's blog post on that:

J.Smith

Quote from: JamesC on 17 May, 2014, 12:31:28 PM
A good prog overall and I'm looking forward to seeing what replaces the 3riller next week (Future Shock? Double length Slaine?)

I believe it may well be a double length final episode for Outlier, which Tharg says has its penultimate episode in this Prog, and I don't really see it wrapping up very well in only five or six pages.

Best cover I've seen since re-subscribing. A really nice surprise to see this morning.

Timothy

I hope that giant washed his hands after last week's shenanigans.

Proudhuff

Cover - Jings that's good.

Nerve Centre-  Damage report:Whatever have those fans been up to?

Dredd - Shooters Night ends badly, The Big W gives us a loverly twist, setting up Traumatown next week too.

Imustgo P -Monster sex scenes and Clicky ckilcky Pentax, what ever next?  Is it just me who finds those thin white lines around the characters slightly of putting?

Slaine - nefarious goings on happening in the background? eh? must have missed that. Loving the art tis a joy to the eye

3riller - A fine end to a fine story, more Thargy please

Outthere - Steps up a gear and throws some interesting ideas around, part of me wishes we'd got here a lot earlier,

A double whammy of this and the Meg through the door fair made my morning, thanks Mighty one!
DDT did a job on me

Steve Green

'Fans' is putting it loosely.

There was something unlicensed put out, Rebellion took action, and some 'fans' were blaming Rebellion for stopping them getting things that they need, NEEEEEEED.

One post on a FB page ran along the lines of 'Whoever at Rebellion did this, I hope they have nightmares of being stabbed...

A few topics on this have been pulled here, so I'm not going to elaborate.

Dark Jimbo

Dredd ends on about as downbeat a note as is possible - but it's one that rings very true and seems like quite a logical result. It's all summed up in Dredd's line 'We ought to know this city by now.' A good little tale all told, and it's gone some way to winning me round on John Mcrea's art (although Hershey looks very weird in that final panel.)

Indigo Prime is the bee's knees, the dog's danglies, and the quaxxan's quixxans. I feel utterly ashamed that I ever disliked Lee Carter's art, or that I ever thought he didn't have the chops for Tooth. It's been a pleasure to watch him grow and develop to this point and we're jolly lucky to have him. God alone knows how long it took him to do all those TV panels t'other week. He also seems to have concentrated on working out the one major kink in his work, i.e that his character's faces tendedto have very little expression. Storywise it's a slow-burn episode but none the worse for it, with little seeds of intrigue sown for the future. It's amazing how well I feel I know the cast, too, given the relatively small 'screen time' they've had so far.

Slaine is fabaroo, just wish it wasn't so decompressed. Get a move on, Pat!

Colony was a great wee story, dripping with atmosphere, and the ending was fitting and creepy. The art lets it down a bit in places, though - there were a few moments last week where the action was hard to make sense of, and it happens again here on page 2. Panels 2 and 3 are almost exactly the same, although the narration and dialogue suggets that different things are supposed to be happening (not that I really understand what's going on in panel 3 anyway) and then follows the least dramatic truck-comes-out-of-nowhere-and-runs-down-the-baddie moment ever. The truck doesn't even look as though it's moving, and it's a shame Titov is dispatched in a messy and unclear long shot (didn't even realise that's what had happened until I wondered why Titov had suddenly dissapeared and re-read the story).

Outlier continues to impress after I was rather scathing in my criticism of early episodes. The only critique I stand by at this late stage is that Carcer still feels totally surplus to requirements. He's so underdeveloped that he's made no impression and just feels in the way - the story could easily have been told mainly from Caul's point-of-view, with the Outlier crew members serving as the exposition sounding-boards as needed.
@jamesfeistdraws

Colin YNWA

Well I talked last time in Colin's Meandering Thoughts on the Latest Prog (why that isn't a telly show with a catchy title like that escapes me) about Pat Mills indulging his artist - why this week that hits its zenith in what is a high octane action piece Mr Mills quite brilliantly largely keeps the script away from it all and gives us some great ponderings on Slaine from his villains giving us fantastic insight into both. While they do that Slaine Davis has a field day on the action. This is just superb. I've long said Slaine probably should have ended at The  Horned God. Mr Mills, well he knew this was coming right? All these years he's been teasing us, playing, seeing if he could shake even the Mayors love so that when this series came along we'd all sit up and say bloody hell this is why he's kept it around... he planned this all along didn't he. Oh and thats before I splash my love all over the cover.

Oh yeah there's other stuff this week and its damned good too... so go on but really Slaine was great...

... well oh yeah Dredd's self recriminations where haunting in a great ending to what been an okay Wagner Dredd. Colony ends a little functionally by highly enjoyably with a nice if predictable ending. Outlier sets up its predictable ending the [spoiler]hunted teaming up with the hunted as so villainous villains force folk to switcheroo[/spoiler].

Indigo Prime was sublime again this week and that speaks volume that Slaine was so the focus on my thoughts this week.

LOVIN' the Prog

Frank

Quote from: Colin_YNWA on 17 May, 2014, 07:52:09 PM
Oh and thats before I splash my love all over the cover

I don't think that's a typo this time, folks.

Darren Stephens

Strong prog this week, with only one strip not really interesting me. I agree, Slaine is fantastic. The cover is superb! Dredd was very good, but not as hard hitting as I imagined it would be. Still top stuff, though. As Jimbo said, It's got me liking John Mcreas art which I've never been too bothered about previously, so that's a big plus, too. Though yes, Hershey looks demonic in that last panel! Indigo Prime is awesome, all around. ;) Not read Outlier. It hasn't gripped me unfortunately, so I'll save it for a re-read later.
https://www.dscomiccolours.com
                                       CLICK^^

JUDGE BURNS

What a weekend of trills I've had to read..... Not only have my prog and meg subs copies arrived but I am also working my thru these 2 graphic novels .   :D

Simon davis' cover is eye-popping as well as the continuing journey of Slaine.

Dredd: Since when did Hershey go all Oriental???  That last panel looked as though it was thrown together.

3rillers.  a great end to yet another fantastic tale. MORE PLEASE  Tharg !

Outlier and Prime...nah not for me.

Another 3 out 5 this week for me.

judgerufian

Sorry to douse everones fire about the cover but while its painted exceedingly well, the posing of Slaine is just damn wierd, whats he doing? a back flip? While the wraparound cover was very nice too, the back page was pretty empty. Pity as it could have been much better! Mrs JudgeRufian gave it a straight thumbs down.

Dredd - Surprises galore as not only did Jimmy and co go down before they managed to add any numbers to their record attempt and the reveal about the other two groups going on the rampage but also Dredd questioning his own judgement at not asking the correct questions. In the past the sector 30 quack would have been banged up for 5 years for witholding information, very curious to see how this translates into next weeks Traumatown.

Indigo Prime - Considering the madness on show in this weeks instalment which I am enjoying despite not being the worlds biggest John Smith fan, its a pity the design of the Major Arcana character is very cliche as essentially a bald Nick Fury. Does that Nazi have an ace up his sleeve?

3Riller - Great ending to an excellent little tale with touches of the Thing and invasion of the Bodysnatchers. I knew the cosmonaut would be infected/an alien! Though why the soldier at the end when peering through the slats of the prison cell didnt see the changed prisoner's alien features I'll never know....

Slaine - Some fun action and gore including a rather gratutitous beheading (Pat Mills was right on the EBW 2000AD podcast), hopefully Slaine will actually get to where hes going soon though...no wonder he has a beard now ha ha.

Outlier - Nice final set up to a story that has slowly got more interesting and multi faceted each week rather than just being an average revenge thriller, looking forward to the final issue to see it wrap up. Though I did notice a strange thing, why did the folks that Caul was easily going to chop up last week suddenly develop such sympathy towards him that they were dismayed at the fact he had been captured and at the mercy of the baddie captain?

A great read this week!!

James Stacey

Quote from: judgerufian on 19 May, 2014, 02:06:41 PM
Sorry to douse everones fire about the cover but while its painted exceedingly well, the posing of Slaine is just damn wierd, whats he doing? a back flip? While the wraparound cover was very nice too, the back page was pretty empty. Pity as it could have been much better! Mrs JudgeRufian gave it a straight thumbs down.
He's jumping backwards away from the giants swinging axe. I think its pretty well posed to deliver the speed and momentum of the fight personally

judgerufian

Quote from: James Stacey on 19 May, 2014, 02:09:45 PM
Quote from: judgerufian on 19 May, 2014, 02:06:41 PM
He's jumping backwards away from the giants swinging axe. I think its pretty well posed to deliver the speed and momentum of the fight personally

Fine for a panel, not for the cover!  :)

Proudhuff

Quote from: Steve Green on 17 May, 2014, 03:50:41 PM
'Fans' is putting it loosely.
There was something unlicensed put out, Rebellion took action, and some 'fans' were blaming Rebellion for stopping them getting things that they need, NEEEEEEED.
One post on a FB page ran along the lines of 'Whoever at Rebellion did this, I hope they have nightmares of being stabbed...
A few topics on this have been pulled here, so I'm not going to elaborate.

And that is why I don't do FB, twtter etc: FANatics  ;)
DDT did a job on me