Prog 2005 - The Claw at War!

Started by Eamonn Clarke, 30 October, 2016, 10:22:24 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dandontdare

Quote from: 2000ADWebDroid on 02 November, 2016, 10:12:49 AM
Quote from: Magnetica on 01 November, 2016, 08:47:51 PM
Quote from: Dandontdare on 01 November, 2016, 06:22:15 PM
Bring back Denise!
The late delivery of subscriber issues for Prog 2005 was a fault of the printers, who distribute the subscription issues, wasn't the fault of our new customer support droid!

Sorry, that was meant to be a joke - no criticism of the new subsdroid was intended.

To the prog - a cracker. Not one duff story.

Muon

Rather annoyingly, no digital prog has arrived for me just yet.  :'(  I guess this one will go down in history as the cursed Halloween prog.

Frank

There's no problem with the digital edition - I read mine yesterday. Are you using the app? Someone mentioned last week that the latest prog wasn't showing up at the top of the list, but was down the bottom right instead.

If that doesn't work, go to your account at the shop on this site. Your log in details are the same as for the app:

https://account.rebellion.co.uk/download

Muon

Thanks Frank. At the risk of derailing the thread any more I'll just say that it seems I was logged out of the app somehow. I logged back in with my Rebellion ID and the prog was there ready to download as soon as I did that. So I'm a day late but that just means there's less time to wait until the next prog  :P

jabish

Quote from: Jim_Campbell on 02 November, 2016, 05:21:50 PM
Quote from: Eamonn Clarke on 02 November, 2016, 05:16:06 PM
That complete structural survey of the Hall of Justice is long overdue. :D
The place has more secrets than GCHQ.

Are we absolutely certain that they're not the same secret passageways? No particular reason why new arrival Sam would know about them...

If that's the case I'll be delighted. Enjoying Rob Williams Dredd much more than any of the other writers outside of John Wagner. Probably because he seems to focus on other characters and also characters that he created. Sensitive Klegg is great, Dirty Frank a lasting creation. He knows their voices as well as Wagner knows Dredd. This story being from Sam's point of view is great and Williams is just a good writer I think. The heckles went up when I saw the secret passageways again especially after just being used in the Tex-city storyline. Then they seemed like a sudden convenience, I'm sure Williams will do something interesting with them and if they are the same ones as Carroll introduced that would show a level of overview between the (non-Wagner) writers on Dredd that has been sorely lacking. I doubt that's the case and it's probably to do with Smiley but let's see eh?

Of course Henry Flint can make any story read like Watchmen. He's like the great Steve Dillon in that sense. Stunning artist.

JB

TordelBack

Yeah, Jabish has the right of it.  I was groaning at Sam's genre-incredulity - an invisible assassin?  In Justice Department?  Unprecedented! Or at least: Not since last week! - until the Enceladus energy source (which is what everything was about, remember) connected with (maybe) Smiley's secret passages then the realisation that (hopefully) everything works together.  Titan etc. isn't my favourite bit of recent Dredd but Trifecta very much is, so it's good to see the possibility of a merger. 

And it's really great to know that, in line with Carroll's epic stint, the non-Wagners are being given the room to tease out the long term implications of their storylines for the Dreddverse, rather than being expected to keep everything discrete.  While there's nothing wrong with disposable stories (Inferno excepted), there's an additional pleasure to seeing them being woven into the fabric more securely.

I'd still love to see Rennie pull his various strands together in this fashion, but I know he's sworn off Old Stony Face (in favour of Old Hawk Chest and Old Blue Balls).

Goaty

So no one point out in Dredd  [spoiler]that SJS Gerhart still judge and how much human left?[/spoiler]!

Pyroxian

Quote from: Frank on 03 November, 2016, 07:18:06 AM
There's no problem with the digital edition - I read mine yesterday. Are you using the app? Someone mentioned last week that the latest prog wasn't showing up at the top of the list, but was down the bottom right instead.

The iOS app updated itself this week, and the new progs are appearing at the top of the list again - hoorah!

Frank

Gerhart's appeared several times since Titan, Goaty, most recently in prog 2002, as part of the squad Dredd led in the mission to retrieve former Chief Judge Sinfield from the Sovs.

Since the events seen in the first part of Act Of Grud happened several months ago, is it safe to assume the Sinfield mission was a response to those events? Presumably, East Meg 2 got a lot more out of Marty than the location of Smiley's secret tunnels, but why would Sovs want to silence Tony Hilary Arthur Benn?

Muon

The prog was worth the wait for me. Overall I wasn't too sure about this run of stories at first but they all seem to have hit their stride.

Dredd: Excellent art and it's great to see the young Brit-cit judge back.

Savage: Looks amazing and I'm enjoying what's turning out to be a cat and mouse between Bill and the Volg agent. She looked pretty menacing and noirish in a couple of frames and the prisoners being executed was a timely reminder of the high stakes. Even so, there was a lot here that stretched credibility and the song lyrics continue to be a bit distracting.

Flesh has actually become one of my favorites of this current bunch. This run has already yielded a few amazing images, from the giant flesh harvesters decapitating dinosaurs a few weeks ago to the underwater monster fight this week. The prospect of the big 'un raining down from the sky brings some added tension too. This story seems to have a bit more shape to it than other recent outings.

I'm not as smitten by Hunted as others seem to be but that's cool. I guess RT's world doesn't thrill me that much, although I love Jaegir. The traitor general looks awesome. It hurts just to look at him.

Still loving Counterfeit Girl. that was clearly Maggie Thatcher's Spitting Image puppet sentencing her. Loved the little touch of satire: "my lawyer's an app and my judge is an algorithm." Kind of sums up the shittier elements of the Internet age. Really enjoying this strip.

Buttonman

Still not got mine - are we going to see it within the week or will it be a twofer on Saturday?

Proudhuff

Got mine  :D

Dredd stunning This is what I want, as is Savage, not a dodgy robot in sight (for now), Rogue excellent too, Flesh confused me, does the TRex sleep under water? how stupid does that sound?  :o

Congirl seems to be on repeat?
DDT did a job on me

Jacqusie

Quote from: Buttonman on 03 November, 2016, 05:01:55 PM
Still not got mine - are we going to see it within the week or will it be a twofer on Saturday?

I'm hoping that might be the case, still progless in Sheffield too.

Mind you some of our post arrived today with bloody finger prints on it (I kid ye not)... the Werewolves of Ecclesall have been feesing up on posties for the huge supermoon we are due...  >:D

JUDGE BURNS

Its Thursday and STILL NO PROG here in Ayrshire sector of CAL-HAB DISTRICT !!!   Contacted tharg and got a reply, but I shall wait to see if it arrives tomorrow, before I call the subs dept.

Any other Ayrshire subscribers not receiving their weekly thrill power on a regular date?

Stephen Parry

Haven't got mine yet.

Has the letters page returned yet? I am so much a fan of letters pages. Not enough comics have them nowadays. And those that do don't have regular ones.