Main Menu

Judge Dredd: Mega-City One - TV show announced!

Started by Jim_Campbell, 10 May, 2017, 05:10:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ABCwarBOT

Quote from: Richard on 26 June, 2020, 07:12:32 PM
ABCwarbot has a history of nay-saying about this project, and I think he's just trolling us. Don't feed the trolls.

No I haven't.   I was quite positive about it at first and still think it's a great idea for a tv series.  Just disappointed there hasn't been much movement on it and now Covid will unfortunately affect things.

ABCwarBOT

Quote from: IndigoPrime on 26 June, 2020, 02:12:54 PM
Quote from: ABCwarBOT on 26 June, 2020, 03:15:56 AM
Well looks like Covid will be a final nail in the coffin.   I can't see it happening for a long time...if at all.
If it happens, it won't be for a long time, but that is entirely usual. If people read a few books on movie and TV series production, I suspect they would be quite surprised how long it takes properties to reach the screen — and reason it's a small miracle pretty much anything appears at all.

That's true of course and obviously many other tv shows will be affected now.

ABCwarBOT

Quote from: Keef Monkey on 26 June, 2020, 11:26:24 AM
Quote from: ABCwarBOT on 26 June, 2020, 03:15:56 AM
Well looks like Covid will be a final nail in the coffin.   I can't see it happening for a long time...if at all.

They're actually one of the few productions who have spoken up about having a plan for that (and it sounds like a similar approach to The Mandalorian which looked very convincing) -

"Rebellion Studios, the film division of UK-based multimedia company Rebellion — which produces comic books, video games, film, and visual effects services — is currently in the process of producing film content with the help of its video game engine. It can create virtual environments that require minimal on-set demand from production teams. Camera work and lighting are performed remotely, actors are motion-captured in and out of scenes, and there's significant reduction in the amount of work needed in the post-production process, because computer-generated images are being created along with the live-action performances."

https://www.cnbc.com/2020/05/23/how-hollywood-movie-making-becomes-virtual-after-coronavirus.html

That's interesting.  Well hopefully they could do that and I wonder if that could save a lot in costs too?

Bolt-01

von Boom

That's great news. Any sort of progress is fantastic!

sheridan

Did the source video get mentioned on this forum?  It did the rounds of a certain social network about a week ago...

V2A - Freak Show - 19 - Jason Kingsley, two and a quarter hours long and worth watching.

judgeurko

Seems the show hasn't moved forward in months even without the pandemic.

sheridan

Quote from: judgeurko on 29 July, 2020, 08:52:15 AM

Does it?  What's your inside info?

CalHab

There is some very odd behaviour in this thread.

Rately

From the article, and all this talk of computer generated sets, and having seen a few bits and pieces of The Mandalorian, does this make it cheaper and more cost effective to make a show? Does that make it more likely that they could budget a pilot for selling to a Netflix, Amazon etc.?

IndigoPrime

People really need to read some books about the gestation of popular TV shows and movies. Tales from Development Hell by David Hughes is a good starting point, and available cheaply on the second hand market. Frankly, it's amazing many things ever get made.

Something like Dredd is an ambitious show but without obvious inane worldwide appeal. For most people, it's a show about a character that had one terrible movie, and a second that was a commercial bomb (albeit, if anyone cares to look, a critically acclaimed commercial bomb). So that makes funding tricky in the first place. But the Kingsleys are not bullshitters. If they say things are progressing, why doubt that? That they're progressing very slowly isn't remotely unusual, and especially not given the property.

judgeurko

Quote from: Rately on 29 July, 2020, 10:43:27 AM
From the article, and all this talk of computer generated sets, and having seen a few bits and pieces of The Mandalorian, does this make it cheaper and more cost effective to make a show? Does that make it more likely that they could budget a pilot for selling to a Netflix, Amazon etc.?
That would certainly be a great way of making the show, but according to rumour The Mandalorian was about $15 million per episode! They used Unreal Engine I think for the virtual sets so maybe Rebellion's video game knowledge would be helpful here.

Rately

Quote from: judgeurko on 29 July, 2020, 11:34:19 AM
Quote from: Rately on 29 July, 2020, 10:43:27 AM
That would certainly be a great way of making the show, but according to rumour The Mandalorian was about $15 million per episode! They used Unreal Engine I think for the virtual sets so maybe Rebellion's video game knowledge would be helpful here.

Cheers for reply. I'm a luddite when it comes to technology.

I'm excited for the show, and hopefully we get it somewhere down the line. Happy to wait till it becomes possible to line up the production, scripting, actors etc.

judgeurko

Quote from: sheridan on 29 July, 2020, 09:14:32 AM
Quote from: judgeurko on 29 July, 2020, 08:52:15 AM

Does it?  What's your inside info?
I don't have any inside info that's why I said seems, not a definitive statement.