Main Menu

Ultimate Not Wagner Tourney - Round 1

Started by Colin YNWA, 26 May, 2020, 07:05:41 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Colin YNWA

So we're rapidly heading towards the tourney proper and in preperation I have a quick qiestion.

For the first round there will be 32 participants and therefore 16 votes - draw being made and revealed soon. So the question - do start I start two polls a day to keep things moving along, the round will take eight days therefore. Or do we give each vote its space and be a bit more patient and stick with a vote a day? That's take 16 days, over 2 weeks.

Let me know what you think.

abelardsnazz

I'm OK with the two votes launch per day -will the voting window still be three days?

broodblik

I am also cool with two votes launch per day
When I die, I want to die like my grandfather who died peacefully in his sleep. Not screaming like all the passengers in his car.

Old age is the Lord's way of telling us to step aside for something new. Death's in case we didn't take the hint.

TordelBack

Two votes per day seems like it'll keep momentum up.

Bolt-01

Agreed - two per day.

and continued thanks for the work of doing this Colin.

Colin YNWA

Okay that's cool - I thought I was just being impatient cos I'm excited to discuss my ideas for what comes next!

2 a day it will be and yes sticking to 3 day voting window as I think it keeps things moving much better.

Colin YNWA

What, huh, so all this has just been to get the candidates? None of this has been part of the competition proper.

Jez why did you bother! Yes we've finished the qualifiers and the five names to join the 27 automatic qualifiers in and they are:

Alec Worley
Guy Adams
Rory McConville
David Bishop
Peter Hogan

So what happens next. Well later on today I'll pop a post with all 32 1st roiund writers with seeding (the seeding matters not a jot) based on an old list by AlexF of the writers who appeared highest on his magnificent Heroes of 2000ad list.

Why don't those seedings matter, well to keep things more interesting (I think) I'm deciding all rounds by a random draws FA cup style, so in theory Seed 1 could come up against Seed 2 - why then have I done the seeding - simple a bit of fun to give me something reflect on when commenting - absolutely nothing more!

I was in two minds as to whether reveal the whole draw at once, but have decided against it to keep the anticipation.

I have asked a 2000ad fandom celebrity to do the draw FA cup style, but knowing how busy they are at the moment I've done a draw just in case as a back up. And well lets just say I'm glad I've done it this way as its come up with some doozies - I've been honest and though very tempted I've kept the draw as is - meaning some great writers will be head to head right off the bat. But we'll see.

Round 1 will start with 2 votes, lasting 3 days each on Friday.

Thanks to all who have participated so far, I'm hoping getting to the bigger names will draw even more folks to play along.

broodblik

Great stuff so far can not wait for the heavy weights to enter the ring
When I die, I want to die like my grandfather who died peacefully in his sleep. Not screaming like all the passengers in his car.

Old age is the Lord's way of telling us to step aside for something new. Death's in case we didn't take the hint.

AlexF

Keeping the draw secret is for sure embiggening the anticipation. What's gonna happened?? (as my 2-year old is very fond of saying lately)

Colin YNWA

Here's the full list of folks in Round 1 with Seeding (pointless - see earlier post*) - All starts tomorrow!!!!

1   Alan Grant
2   Pat Mills
3   Dan Abnett
4   Robbie Morrison
5   Gordon Rennie
6   Gerry Finley Day
7   John Smith
8   Ian Edginton
9   Garth Ennis
10   Rob Williams
11   Mark Millar
12   Pete Milligan
13   Tom Tully
14   Si Spurrier
15   Grant Morrison
16   Alan McKenzie
17   Alan Hebden
18   Al Ewing
19   Cat Sullivan
20   Alan Moore
21   Steve Moore
22   Kek-W
23   Michael Carroll
24   Michael Fleisher
25   Emma Beeby
26   TC Eglington
27   John Tomlinson
Q1   Alec Worley
Q2   Guy Adams
Q3   Rory McConville
Q4   David Bishop
Q5   Pete Hogan

* I normally say things like 'see below' but that's cos I have my view of the forum set up so newest posts are at the top. This is the default view, nor that commonly used I believe which can make my posts even more confusing I imagine!

Colin YNWA

Sorry meant to drop this at the beginning of the thread to give me something to link to in the votes. But a recap of the rules is required before we 'kick off'

Starting NOW (hopefully if this gets traction) is the tourney with 32 writers to see who will face off against Wagner [for our favourite writer] - to get to our 32 competitors. 27 slots had already been determined by nicking the hard work of our own AlexF** and 'Heroes of 2000ad Blogspot' and using his data (un-updated as I'm far to lazy) to find the 27 writers whose work has appeared most often. To determine the remaining five places we ran qualifiers of 20 others who missed out either just, as they are 'rookies' - well just started working for Tharg at least (and just can be a number of years now!) or might be known more as an artist etc. We'll start with those and see how they go.

If you have gone this far you'll properly be willing to bear with me while I explain:

RULES

1. MOST IMPORTANTLY - any writer who has got to this vote, be it the tourney proper or qualifying, ar is a better writer than we will ever be and so even if you really don't like someones work (which is fine) keep it lovely like I know you can.

2. Each day I will start two new threads with a vote between two writers - the writer to get the most votes after 3 days will progress to the next round.

2. For each vote I will have a thread to collect votes (and comments about the writers involved work) simply write the name of the writer you want to win that 'face-off' at the top of a post - feel free to say what you will after that, but it will help me (see being lazy above) if you write the name of your vote at the top of the comment.

3. I will count up votes in each round after 3 days of starting it and annouce the winner in that thread - once I've done that feel free to add but your vote won't count and you might be charged (if I can work out how to charge you (?!))

4. In the event of a tie I will have the casting vote - cos ya know I'm self absorbed

5. We are voting for favourite, not best - so how much you like their body of work WRITING, not editing etc - that will be important, particularly in qualifying as you'll see - You can do that anyway you want. I'm going with quality of their work first, with quantity as a secondary factor. You can do it based on how lovely their hair is if you wish!

5a Addendum - When I say writing for Tharg my advice (as I say do what you like I'll not know!) is to include any Tharg related prose work so text stories in annuals and special (yeah right!), 2000ad related novels and yes importantly this round things like Thrillpower Overload will go into my consideration. Writing for other comics will not.

6. This is Round 1 of the tourney proper. 32 writers in 16 votes, drawn randomly FA cup style so Hereford can take on Liverpool - can home advantage work? The writers are seeded based on quantity - based on an old list by AlexF - but that means nothing. Straight knockout the 16 writers who get the most votes in each 'tie' go through to the next round.

7. Anything thing I've forgotten I'll make up as we go along.

** AlexF's glorious work http://heroesof2000ad.blogspot.com/ [and I will note he saved me by updating this and updating my wrongness so double thank you to AlexF]

Funt Solo

An angry person from the nineties who needs to get a room.

sintec

Ooooh that's a lovely summary graphic, good work.

Colin YNWA

Funt if you want access to my Google Sheet I keep this on happy to share - I keep scores etc there. Only reson i don't share it here is so I can keep the draws a surprise and they are logged there too.

Funt Solo

Thanks, Colin - but you keep your secret stuff secret! I'll just be the fandom. (I thought of adding in the points but I didn't want to make anyone feel shitty on a spreadsheet. Spreadsheets are a force for good!)
An angry person from the nineties who needs to get a room.