Main Menu

3rd place play off - Ian Edginton or Alan Moore - UNWT

Started by Colin YNWA, 26 June, 2020, 06:53:08 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Colin YNWA

Now while I've said that I'm not looking to us this tourney to define placing as the random draw, while making it exciting, also makes that unrealistic... BUT...

While the semi draw meant we had a blasting set of vote it avoided the fact that there was a generational thing that I was interested in seeing what folks felt about. So Pat Mills (well possibly his best love work anyway) and Alan Moore are so associated with the first generation of the comic and its perceived Golden Age, while Dabnett and Ian Edginton represent all that is fantastic about the Rebellion Age. So I decided that a 3rd and 4th place vote would be interesting from that perspective. So as one writer seems to be just, just creeping ahead in the Final vote I want to start this one too.

So based purely on their writing for Tharg whose work do you prefer?

Ian Edgintonhttp://www.2000ad.org/?zone=droid&page=profiles&choice=IANE

OR

Alan Moore - http://www.2000ad.org/?zone=droid&page=profiles&choice=ALANM

What is all this nonsense you ask well we're finding out whose 2000ad (Meg and associated items) writing do you prefer? Voting - just add a comment here with whose work you prefer (and anything else you might wish to say to discuss their work). This vote closes some time early Thursday 2nd July?

Want to know more https://forums.2000ad.com/index.php?topic=46552.0

broodblik

Ian he has so many great stories running currently and Alan only strips from the 80s
When I die, I want to die like my grandfather who died peacefully in his sleep. Not screaming like all the passengers in his car.

Old age is the Lord's way of telling us to step aside for something new. Death's in case we didn't take the hint.

abelardsnazz

An interesting one, as Alan Moore's work for the Prog is complete, and I'm sure Ian has many more ideas up his sleeve. I've enjoyed a lot of Ian's work, but Moore's legacy is just that, and will remain highpoints of Tooth. So on balance I'm voting for Alan Moore, with the caveat that Ian's work is not done yet.

Greg M.

If Ian Edginton ever writes anything as good as The English / Phlondrutian Phrasebook, he might be in contention. Until that improbable day dawns, Alan Moore reigns. (Well, gets the bronze, anyway.)

The Mind of Wolfie Smith

Whose work do you want to reread more? Who was, objectively, the better writer? Who would be more likely to thrillpower overload you if he were to return to the prog (something, on the part of the wizard that will never happen)? Whose work is going to be the flagship of the new Best of 2000ad (whenever that reappears on the schedule)? Whose characters and stories and ideas continue to resonate and intrigue and influence to this day and down through the decades? Which of these mapped and plotted absolute and thoroughly satisfying conclusions (even if his major story was allegedly only a third complete)? If you were a missionary proselytising the prog to the unbelievers whose work would you be more likely to employ?

On every count, for me, it's Alan Moore.

TordelBack

Love Edginton's work to bits (look left for proof), but Alan Moore is the reason I started buying the comic regularly, even before I had any awareness of which writer was which, and I re-read all of his contributions to the prog at least once a year. I even love the annual feature where he offers his defence of ET plagiarism.

I can precisely date my realisation that comics could be something more than action and humour to the 'heist' episode of Skizz (which also started me on a lifelong love of Hitchcock as I chased up the references). The Time Machine and The Reversible Man still have the power to make me cry, DR & Quinch to make me laugh, as the kids no longer say,  out loud.

Close the curtains Geoffrey, I'm voting Moore.

AlexF

SmallBlueThing(Reborn)

Ghost MacRoth

I don't have a drinking problem.  I drink, I get drunk, I fall over.  No problem!

IndigoPrime

Moore has the lead in concentrated thrill power, with the best Time Twisters that will ever be committed to the printed page. Beyond that, there's Halo Jones — great, but not among my absolute top thrills, and Skizz. Edginton can't compete with the Time Twisters, but then there's the almost peerless Leviathan, epic saga The Red Seas, and Scarlet Traces — the kind of adaption that in a sense echoes modern Moore, but in a far more accessible manner.

Edginton's problem for me remains the sheer amount of unfinished business. Great concepts left hanging are just great concepts rather than great stories. Halo Jones is arguably in the same space, _but_ the strip ends in a good place. Helium doesn't. Brass Sun hasn't. But I'm assuming the latter will continue at some point.

By a nose, then, I'm going against the grain (and likely winner) and choosing Edginton.

rogue69

Citi-Def_Joe

Magnetica

Never really seen the point of 3rd place games - or bronze (or indeed silver) medals. "First is first second is nowhere" as Shankly would say. Which is kinda apt given what happened last night 👍.

Anyway, If you insist, I'm going for Alan Moore on this one.

It's not close if truth be told.  The go to writer for future Shocks. DR and Quinch.   Abelard Snazz. Plus a couple of other things.

Ian Edginton is a fine writer and 2000AD needs creators like him. But for me, I wouldn't  put any of his stories in the top category of 2000AD thrills. Fine stories they may be, just but they are just in the slightly lower tier.

Bolt-01

This is a tough one (but so were many others) for me.

I'm changing my mind constantly as I type this - Alan Moore.

Sorry Ian.

ZenArcade

Ed is dead, baby Ed is...Ed is dead