Main Menu

Forthcoming Thrills - 2022

Started by Dash Decent, 20 July, 2021, 01:13:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jim_Campbell

Quote from: broodblik on 18 September, 2022, 06:58:06 PM
Just go digital since digital do not care about paper size

Been digital for about 18 months now. I do miss my Prog/Meg, but I don't miss the "where the hell am I going to put these...?"
Stupidly Busy Letterer: Samples. | Blog
Less-Awesome-Artist: Scribbles.

Tjm86

Quote from: IndigoPrime on 17 September, 2022, 11:08:22 AM
So while the reprint was fun enough, I loved Lazarus Churchyard, Hellboy and Scarlet Traces. I thought it was a pity when the format shifted again, and although I've enjoyed aspects of the floppies, I'm quite happy to have a comic.

That was what I loved most about that period, the additional material was stuff I probably wouldn't have encountered otherwise.  Opened up new vistas.

What would be nice to see is more Treasury of ... material that we might not see otherwise.  Even if it is a little 'dirty' as far as repro is concerned.  There's loads of material that might only run for an issue or so but not enough to justify much more.

Quote from: IndigoPrime on 17 September, 2022, 11:08:22 AM
I'd be happy enough with Matt Smith IDW Dredd, if that's what we're getting. (Deviations and the Mars Attacks crossover were also good.) But I could do without almost everything else from IDW. I couldn't even get through all of Mega-City Two when I tried to read it. (Aside: I'd also be happy if Rebellion would reprint – and even continue – IDW's take on Rogue Trooper. I really liked that and was keen to see where it would go.)

Fair point.  I've always found IDW material a little hit-or-miss but wouldn't object to seeing more of that.  Given that the government has pretty much killed off the American import market it would be the only way I'd see any of it ...

The Mind of Wolfie Smith

so many luddites like me would never go digital. i've tried. but i have come to realise that reading, for me, is hugely about texture, and also the proustian moment of picking up an old prog and remembering where i was and who i was when i first picked it up. reading is multi-sensory and complicated. please, tharg, don't go digital only - think about the vinyl revival.

sintec

Quote from: The Mind of Wolfie Smith on 18 September, 2022, 07:38:13 PM
think about the vinyl revival.

If Tharg was thinking about the vinyl revival he'd be pumping out endless reprints of the same material in a variety of deluxe formats aimed at the 40+ nostalgia market... oh wait.

nxylas

Quote from: Jim_Campbell on 18 September, 2022, 07:08:17 PM
Quote from: broodblik on 18 September, 2022, 06:58:06 PM
Just go digital since digital do not care about paper size

Been digital for about 18 months now. I do miss my Prog/Meg, but I don't miss the "where the hell am I going to put these...?"
I'm the same, I just don't have the space for them. I do wish the prog would adopt something like Amazon's guided view, though.
AIEEEEEE! It's the...THING from the HELL PLANET!

IndigoPrime

I keep flitting between "keep my sub", "keep my sub but offload at the end of each year" and "go digital". I've stuck with the first for now, but Mrs IP has noted that once the space in the garage is used up, that'll have to be it. (Which is fair enough.) Thing is, something in me likes having that collection. Also, I tend to not bother with digital, given that I spend my day staring at screens at work. Still, I do wonder if I'll ever revisit all of those old Progs...

Magnetica

Quote from: IndigoPrime on 19 September, 2022, 01:36:12 PM
I keep flitting between "keep my sub", "keep my sub but offload at the end of each year" and "go digital". I've stuck with the first for now, but Mrs IP has noted that once the space in the garage is used up, that'll have to be it. (Which is fair enough.) Thing is, something in me likes having that collection. Also, I tend to not bother with digital, given that I spend my day staring at screens at work. Still, I do wonder if I'll ever revisit all of those old Progs...

I'm the same. Reluctantly I'm going to have go digital when my renewal comes up. But I think I might treat myself to a bigger iPad to read them on.  A few things occur to me about my collection: each Prog represents a week of my life, I'm not sure if I'll ever actually re-read them given how long that would take, but it's hard to let go of them. If I could magically swap them for digital versions I would, but given they don't exist before 2003/ 02 that's not possible. But even for those that do exist, I can't actually see myself retrospectively buying them.

IndigoPrime

I think once the habit is broken, it's gone. There might be pangs, but that's it. I broke it when CDs long ago. Books? Nope. They have to be paper. Same with collected comics I care about and want to keep. Actual comics sit in a slightly less certain place, purely because they take up so much space. But I am very reluctant to ditch 2000 AD and the Meg – and we fortunately right now have the space. (I also have about a half dozen boxes of Marvel comics I'd get rid of before the 2000 ADs – and the Megs would go before 2000 AD itself.)

As for treating yourself to a bigger iPad, what size? The 12.9 is great in terms of size, but a bit weighty. Either way, I trust you're using Chunky, the comic app of kings?

Magnetica

Quote from: IndigoPrime on 19 September, 2022, 02:38:34 PM
I think once the habit is broken, it's gone. There might be pangs, but that's it. I broke it when CDs long ago. Books? Nope. They have to be paper. Same with collected comics I care about and want to keep. Actual comics sit in a slightly less certain place, purely because they take up so much space. But I am very reluctant to ditch 2000 AD and the Meg – and we fortunately right now have the space. (I also have about a half dozen boxes of Marvel comics I'd get rid of before the 2000 ADs – and the Megs would go before 2000 AD itself.)

As for treating yourself to a bigger iPad, what size? The 12.9 is great in terms of size, but a bit weighty. Either way, I trust you're using Chunky, the comic app of kings?

Yes I agree with most of that. I'd get rid of the Megs before the Progs but I have now switched to a mixture of physical and digital collections. But I do prefer the physical ones.

As for the iPad, I haven't really looked into it, just know if I make the swap I'll want one bigger than my current 9.5 inch one. Plus that would be better for football and streaming tv shows as well. And I need one with more storage.

I do use Chunky, but also the 2000AD app. Yes I know it has it's flaws, but I just like it.

Colin YNWA

Much like when I'm asked if I want chips or rice I go half and half (when they let you some places don't, can never figure that out... ANYWAY...). Prog I will struggle to let go, well again. I've done it too often in the past. Everytime I have I've got back on board and tracked down back issues to one extent or another. So This time with an almost full paper set and 16 years into a sub I ain't going back now... well while the option remains to keep going.

The Meg I've just never been as attached to. When I got back into the Prog last time I decided to wait to jump back on the Meg until I could go digital. Somehow that took 9 years. Anyway perfectly happy with the Meg digital. Have bought all the available back issues digitally and I'm slowing filling in the last remaining gaps physically.

Its a happy compromise... well especially since Rebellion have weasled their way into my wallet and shelf space with constant excellent Treasury releases something has to give!

sheridan

Going back a bit, thread-wise.  Didn't IDW start publishing 2000AD content just over ten years ago - already established by the time the film came out, I seem to remember?  So possibly the licence has lapsed and Rebellion now have the reverted rights, free to do with as they wish?  That's my stake on Year One and MC2 being the IDW versions.  In my opinion the mini-series were far superior to the main run of IDW Dredds, though I wouldn't have picked those two series for reprint.

broodblik

Quote from: Magnetica on 19 September, 2022, 05:07:41 PM

I have an 11inch iPad and it works great. My brother has the 12,9 and he said that it is too heavy (and not always easy to handle).
When I die, I want to die like my grandfather who died peacefully in his sleep. Not screaming like all the passengers in his car.

Old age is the Lord's way of telling us to step aside for something new. Death's in case we didn't take the hint.

Jim_Campbell

Quote from: broodblik on 19 September, 2022, 06:45:05 PM
My brother has the 12,9 and he said that it is too heavy (and not always easy to handle).

The current 12.9 is a little heavy, but it's insanely powerful and (pretty much) the size of a sheet of A4 — reading comics on it is a delight.
Stupidly Busy Letterer: Samples. | Blog
Less-Awesome-Artist: Scribbles.

IndigoPrime

I've had them all in for review. The 11in is better in terms of weight and 'feel'. The 12.9 has a better display, and is a superior fit for comics – but it's a bit unwieldy. Really, you want physics to be warped and for Apple to somehow release a 12.9in iPad that's quite a bit lighter. That said, it's amusing to note that the very first iPad weighed 680g and the current 12.9in iPad Pro weighs... 684g.

(Regardless, anyone considering an iPad should wait. There will almost certainly be new models next month.)

O Lucky Stevie!

[spoiler]Bonjo From Beyond The Stars[/spoiler] is back in the Crimbo prog! Oh boy!!!
"We'll send all these nasty words to Aunt Jane. Don't you think that would be fun?"