Main Menu

Things that went over your head (non-prog-related)

Started by JayzusB.Christ, 10 January, 2021, 07:47:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

broodblik

Quote from: Colin YNWA on 07 March, 2024, 07:34:42 AM
QuoteI have read Asterix/Tintin in two different languages (French was not one of them). I must say that maybe I am biased but I did find the jokes worked better in my language than English. I will ask my one friend whom is quite versed in French if that statement held true

Yeah that would be interesting to hear about. As a none French speaker I can only say the English translations are really good. I can get clues in the names which suggest the translations work better, but as you say that's my singular perspective.

My friends answer: I do think it is better in French. Especially Asterix. But the English translation are good
When I die, I want to die like my grandfather who died peacefully in his sleep. Not screaming like all the passengers in his car.

Old age is the Lord's way of telling us to step aside for something new. Death's in case we didn't take the hint.

Barrington Boots

Those who are better versed, whats the 'peak' point for Asterix? As a kid I found the series less fun around the time of Asterix in Belgium, possibly because I didn't get a lot of the jokes. I later recovered the books from my parents loft and I think that one reads a lot better but Black Gold / Asterix and Son were both weaker and that's when my experience finishes. Worth reading any after that?
You're a dark horse, Boots.

Trooper McFad

I need to do a full re-read and find out where the stories slide!
I have the first 30 (30 is the magic carpet one) and stopped buying after How Obelix fell into the the cauldron.
I haven't read any since the early 90s so it will be interesting how much I enjoy them.

I get how it could be funnier in French to the French - This is a French (Gaul) hero who is giving it to the oppressor so the language is for a local market- at the time I don't believe the writers could have imagined how world wide it would have went and maybe that's why the stories/wit slide as they go for a more global readership?
I have always thought that Scottish comedy (based on a Scottish character) written by Scots is funnier to Scots- same as Welsh for Welsh, Scouse for Scouse, Geordie for Geordie etc etc.
everyone still gets the jokes but the wording or specific phrases strike at the funny bone a little harder for those who it is aimed at.

Citizens are Perps who haven't been caught ... yet!

JohnW

Quote from: Barrington Boots on 07 March, 2024, 09:26:48 AMThose who are better versed, whats the 'peak' point for Asterix? As a kid I found the series less fun around the time of Asterix in Belgium, possibly because I didn't get a lot of the jokes.

Goscinny died while Uderzo was halfway through drawing Asterix in Belgium.
Legend has it that the second panel shown here marks the moment. The rain wasn't in the script. Uderzo added it as tribute to his collaborator.

Getting back to where we started, the 'playing fields of Eton'* joke would have sailed right over my head in days gone by.

Anyway, the golden age was anything before this, with a concentration of excellence in the late '60s and early '70s.
For easy reference, the whole series is available on Internet Archive but I'd recommend the omnibus paperback editions. Lovely reproduction at a very reasonable price.

*And thinking about it now, I suddenly get the whole joke. (Wellington is supposed have said that the Battle of Waterloo was won on the playing fields of Eton. Waterloo is in Belgium. Ta-daa!)
Why can't everybody just, y'know, be friends and everything? ... and uh ... And love each other!

Colin YNWA

Before I forget we have a wholethread talking about Asterix. Which to some degree is me saying what I think of the recent volumes.

As for absolute peak Asterix for me thats anything between Asterix The Legionnary and Obelix and Co but there is something to appreciate in just about all of them.... well maybe Secret Weapon is one to avoid???