Main Menu

Last movie watched...

Started by SmallBlueThing, 04 February, 2011, 12:40:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

pictsy

I just finished watching Bulletproof (1996).  It was certainly a... film.  Overall not that good really.

The Legendary Shark

Sinbad, the Fifth Voyage. It's nothing special plot or story wise, like most films of its kind, but it is entertaining enough if you don't concentrate too hard. The main reason I watched this was to check out the CGI - which is very good indeed. They seem to have got CGI people almost perfect - which is the problem with this medium because everyone looks just a little too perfect. It was the five o' clock shadows of the male characters where this was most pronounced - I don't know anybody whose whiskers grow in a straight line without facial topiary.
One thing that I did find unusual was the monsters, which broke from the hyper-realism of the rest of the film and seemed to be striving for that authentic Harryhausen style. The monsters even moved differently than the human CGI characters, aping that fluidly jerky stop-motion style very well. One thing about the classic Harryhausen films was that sometimes you could tell that the actors (human) were reacting to and fighting things that aren't there - sometimes showing just close-ups of, say, characters jabbing their swords into the air to ward off some unseen (in the close up) monster. Now, whether it's just me or not I don't know but these flaws seem to have been built into the film as well - leaving me ambivalent.
So I don't know - certainly worth watching to see the film makers channelling RH, the almost flawless CGI of humans, water and cloth and for Patrick Stewart's voice but somehow I think I'd still rather watch the classic Seventh Voyage than this modern Fifth. If I'd seen this when I was a kid I'd definitely have loved it.
[move]~~~^~~~~~~~[/move]

HdE

I'll get no points for bringing this up again so soon after it was last mentioned here, but...

I bought Guardians of the Galaxy on BD for the old man, who has literally nagged me every day for the last couple of weeks to get it for him. Just like a kid pestering his parents for expensive toys ahead of xmas. How the hell did I ever get into THIS dynamic?

But, I grabbed the movie on day of release, and we've actually seen it twice already. What a fun movie!

Comparisons a few pages back with Star Wars are interesting to contemplate. I personally have absolutely no interest in Star Wars 7. But Guardians 2? Cannot come quickly enough for me.

In spite of the movie's flaws (and it has some - the opening half hour has some really hokey dialogue, for one thing) it's still fresh, fun, and madcap. That the pair of us laughed as hard at the same jokes a second (for me, third) time around shows that the movie definitely does something right.

And I love the bit where the raccoon gets hold of the really big gun and goes 'Oh. Yeah.'
Check out my DA page! Point! Laugh!
http://hde2009.deviantart.com/

Ghost MacRoth

Also just watched GOTG.  Can't really understand why everyone made such a fuss when it came out (non comic fans I mean) as it's just another in the run of relatively forgettable Marvel movies.  Don't get me wrong, I enjoyed it, as I have enjoyed other Marvel pap, but it's not a stand out film in any way for me. Although Karen Gillan was rather good.  Definitely worth a watch, or a hire, but buy?  Nah. ;)
I don't have a drinking problem.  I drink, I get drunk, I fall over.  No problem!

shaolin_monkey

I watched Jurrassic Park in 3D last night.  It's still a fun little thrill ride, perhaps made overlong by the intro. Jeff Goldblum was still an annoying ham.  However, I was pleasantly surprised at how well the 3D was done, considering it must have been all post-production (and then some!). 

There were moments in the film that were absolutely made for 3D!  The T-rex bits were spectacular, and there were moments where dinosaur heads came out of the screen at you.  PLus that bit where the girl falls through the ceiling and you see the velociraptor underneath here - great depth of 3D!

Reasonable film definitely made better with 3D.

JamesC

As Above, So Below

This was a pretty good adventure/horror film. It's about the closest thing you'll get to Tomb Raider (reboot) - The Movie.
It starts off with Lara Croft (she has another name, but trust me, she's Lara Croft) searching for the Philosopher's Stone. After assembling a band of likely experts in their respective fields the search takes them to the catacombs beneath Paris and things take a turn for the supernatural.

This film certainly has it's faults but I really enjoyed it. Another entertaining addition to the 'Found Footage' horror genre.

Steve Green

I finally got around to watching the Lego movie...

It was beautiful to look at, Batman was especially great (I loved his song),

Having left it for so long, I knew what the reveal would be, but I really enjoyed it.

Theblazeuk

Quote from: JamesC on 26 November, 2014, 09:50:29 AM
This film certainly has it's faults but I really enjoyed it. Another entertaining addition to the 'Found Footage' horror genre.

Are you a fan? I'm mixed on the idea. [REC] remains the highpoint for me (and Chronicle, though it's not a horror per se).

JamesC

Quote from: Theblazeuk on 26 November, 2014, 11:11:13 AM

Are you a fan? I'm mixed on the idea. [REC] remains the highpoint for me (and Chronicle, though it's not a horror per se).

I am a fan yes. I haven't seen REC yet but I intend to rectify that soon.
I like found footage films in general and I think it's got something to do with the story telling techniques that are used. They tend to explain the premise of the film straight away - 'we're looking for a monster in the woods' - or whatever. From there on in you just see how the characters interact with each other and that's how you learn about them.
I'm not sure I'm explaining myself very well but there's a sort of immediacy to them which I like. 

The Legendary Shark

Now I think I'll have to watch "The Last Broadcast" again, which I think was superior to Blair Witch in every way.
[move]~~~^~~~~~~~[/move]

pictsy

Mystery Men.  Just finished watching this.  It's really fun.  Seen it sooo many times :D

Beeks

I watched Edge Of Tomorrow last night...first time I have seen it and loved it  :D

I also watched 'Moon' the other night...Kev Spacey as a robot...Sam Rockwell as the Moon janitor  :lol:...was pleasantly surprised as i'd never heard of it before...think it was on BBC2
"We keep on being told that religion, whatever its imperfections, at least instills morality. On every side, there is conclusive evidence that the contrary is the case and that faith causes people to be more mean, more selfish, and perhaps above all, more stupid." ― Christopher Hitchens

Keef Monkey

Quote from: JamesC on 26 November, 2014, 11:38:47 AM
Quote from: Theblazeuk on 26 November, 2014, 11:11:13 AM

I am a fan yes. I haven't seen REC yet but I intend to rectify that soon.
I like found footage films in general and I think it's got something to do with the story telling techniques that are used. They tend to explain the premise of the film straight away - 'we're looking for a monster in the woods' - or whatever. From there on in you just see how the characters interact with each other and that's how you learn about them.
I'm not sure I'm explaining myself very well but there's a sort of immediacy to them which I like.

Yeah, I've seen enough bad found footage films that I groan a bit when I hear about a new one, but when they're done well there's still a certain kind of terror only they can deliver. REC is still the pinnacle for me, haven't seen anything to match that yet. It's just visceral in a way that nothing else has really matched. The trailers for this looked good but the release passed me by, will definitely try and see it on Netflix when it appears.

Last film for me was The Thing From Another World - despite The Thing being in my top 3 movies of all time and having read Who Goes There, I'd never actually watched the original film. It's still pretty creepy, mainly because of the setting, but without the shape changing element there's none of the paranoia that made Carpenter's version so perfect.

Colin YNWA

Quote from: pictsy on 26 November, 2014, 12:51:56 PM
Mystery Men.  Just finished watching this.  It's really fun.  Seen it sooo many times :D

Best superhero film ever?

Jim_Campbell

Stupidly Busy Letterer: Samples. | Blog
Less-Awesome-Artist: Scribbles.