Main Menu

Peter David

Started by Heath C Ackley, 30 December, 2012, 10:50:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Heath C Ackley

I was so sorry to read this:

http://robot6.comicbookresources.com/2012/12/peter-david-suffers-a-stroke-while-on-vacation/

Although I haven't read any of his recent stuff, I was a fan of his work, especially on the Hulk. I hope he'll make a full recovery.
"Give a man a mask and he will give you the truth."

Charlie boy

His Hulk work was a little shaky to begin with while he found his footing but he took on a character near cancellation (to protests from a number of Hulk fans) and then did a great run. The last issue that he wrote before his leaving the run (though he did briefly return some years later) was spectacular in placing what must have been his next ten years' worth of storylines in a single issue. I remember the letters from Hulk readers stating they weren't going to buy any more Marvel products for how he had been forced off the title. His Supergirl work afterwards was also good and his once constant attacks on Image were pretty entertaining. Haven't had much of an eye on his recent works because I tend to wait for collected volumes now but I doubt some of the creator owned work of his will be collected unfortunately.

Link Prime

Sad news.
His X-Factor is literally the only Marvel book I pick up now.

Hope he pulls through this, the man is comic book royalty.

maryanddavid

Sad news, I dont think I have read any of his stuff, but I remember his column in CI and his spats with Todd McFarlane, and Todd coming off much the worse.

Greg M.

Oh man, that's terrible. Not just one of the best writers in US comics but one of the industry's most endearing personalities. I wish him well in his recovery.

Colin YNWA

Yeah rubbish news but while he's clearly poorly the man's still blogging so lets hope for a speedy recovery.

QuoteWe were on vacation in Florida when I lost control of the right side of my body. I cannot see properly and I cannot move my right arm or leg. We are currently getting the extent of the damage sorted out and will report as further details become clarified.

Bolt-01

Sweet Jovus, that's a bit of a shocker. I have really fond memories of his work from the second half of the '80's, especially HULK and wish him a full recovery.

TordelBack

Rough indeed.  David is one of the sharpest and most consistent writers in comics - his X-Factor is the only long-running Marvel book that provides some kind of bedrock among the shifting sands of crossover-event madness (shorter runs like Abnett & Lanning's New Mutants and Gillen's Journey into Mystery notwithstanding), surviving on a knowing wit and considerable charm and a clear focus on characters and stories.  I wish him the very best, not least because there aren't many like him.

IAMTHESYSTEM

God, awful. I hope he recovers soon though with a stroke you never know how debilitating it's going to be. Always enjoyed his run on the Hulk and just about every other thing he did.
"You may live to see man-made horrors beyond your comprehension."

http://artriad.deviantart.com/
― Nikola Tesla

Zarjazzer

Terrible news I wish him a swift recovery.
The Justice department has a good re-education programme-it's called five to ten in the cubes.

Mardroid

I was introduced to his work through the Marvel The Dark Tower comic adaptations. (They were actually plotted  by Stephen King's assistant Robin Furth but he Peter David scripted them.)

I later read a chunk of his Hulk stuff from The Ultimate Marvel collection. I enjoyed it a lot.

A shame, but at least it's encouraging that he continues to blog.

Colin YNWA

Another update, this time from Peter David's wife. Glad to report while there are still some physical problems he is mentally acute and seems in good spirits.

http://comicsbeat.com/more-on-peted-davids-stroke/