Main Menu

Last movie watched...

Started by SmallBlueThing, 04 February, 2011, 12:40:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

paddykafka

PS: My Sister spent most of the film shrieking in terror. Which was, to say the least, distracting...

Dandontdare

terror and screams are one thing, but boobage in front of your mum was different. I vividly remember the awkward, silent atmosphere that would descend on the living room when a sex scene came on the telly (three sons, catholic family)

sheridan

Quote from: Dandontdare on 28 August, 2020, 11:10:15 PM
terror and screams are one thing, but boobage in front of your mum was different.

Which is ironic because boobage in front of your mum is the entire reason that boobage exists in the first place...

sheridan

Quote from: Dandontdare on 28 August, 2020, 09:40:06 PM
on a double bill with Hawk the Slayer.

My strongest memory of the latter was disappointment that the so-called "giant" turned out to be just the tall bloke from the carry on films in built-up shoes.

Bernard Bresslaw?  I know he's the cyclops in Krull, but didn't realise he was in Hawk the Slayer too?  Must have been angling for a career in fantasy film monstering.

Apestrife

Second time watching TENET. Made much more sense this time around. Things like [spoiler]the bomb from the future, reversing everything[/spoiler] and such. The ending also resonated with me more as well. Still feels like I need to watch it a couple of more times hehe.

MacabreMagpie

Just finished watching Bill and Ted Face The Music (at home)!

I'd say the climax is a bit of a dud, though the writers do a decent job in paying off what is a difficult concept, but everything up to that is good fun and there are many genuine laughs along the way.

By far the most fascinating aspect of the movie for me was the depiction of daughters, Theo and Billie. No spoilers, but their characters defy all expectations of gender and sexuality and will no doubt be the part of this movie that I will continue to think about the most.

Alex Winter slips back into the roll of Bill like he was never away but, ironically, I think the best depiction of "Ted" in this movie comes from Brigette Lundy-Paine in the role of Billie!

von Boom

Quote from: MacabreMagpie on 30 August, 2020, 08:48:26 PM

I'd say the climax is a bit of a dud, though the writers do a decent job in paying off what is a difficult concept, but everything up to that is good fun and there are many genuine laughs along the way.

By far the most fascinating aspect of the movie for me was the depiction of daughters, Theo and Billie. No spoilers, but their characters defy all expectations of gender and sexuality and will no doubt be the part of this movie that I will continue to think about the most.

Alex Winter slips back into the roll of Bill like he was never away but, ironically, I think the best depiction of "Ted" in this movie comes from Brigette Lundy-Paine in the role of Billie!

Just finished it myself and the daughters are indeed wonderful. I wasn't expecting the lightning of the first but my fears that Bill and Ted would just step aside were unfounded. Be sure to watch after the credits.

MacabreMagpie

Quote from: von Boom on 30 August, 2020, 10:29:03 PM
Quote from: MacabreMagpie on 30 August, 2020, 08:48:26 PM

Just finished it myself and the daughters are indeed wonderful. I wasn't expecting the lightning of the first but my fears that Bill and Ted would just step aside were unfounded. Be sure to watch after the credits.

Haha yes I saw.

Bogus Journey is my Bill and Ted high point, though it was the one I saw first so that's how it usually goes.

And I used to watch this... XD

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-iv82iJ_MT4

Seemed like everything had a cartoon back in the day. I used to watch cartoons of this, Back To The Future, Beetlejuice, Ace Ventura...

Keef Monkey

Watched Host last night on Shudder, I had misunderstood a couple of review quotes I'd seen along the lines of it being 'smart' and 'witty' to mean that it was horror in the tongue in cheek played for laughs vein and I sold it as such to my other half. She's rarely in the mood for horror but the promise of it being a bit of a jape (plus the short running time of 1hr) really helped sell it.

It is not that at all and it was surprisingly creepy and actually scared the heck out of me in that way that only a good haunting or found footage movie seems to. It's a very smart and very current spin on the found footage thing though, and really quite an impressively staged and put together accomplishment (it's a horror film made during lockdown and set entirely in a Zoom conference call), and I was well impressed. It was giving me serious Ghostwatch vibes at times, but at least this time around I knew I was watching a film and not a live TV documentary (thanks for the childhood nightmares BBC)!

My wife kept telling me I was an idiot afterwards though for not knowing what I was getting into, which is fair. She clocked immediately the kind of film that was being set up and says she kept her eyes closed for most of the second half so she didn't see the scary bits, and I'm not sure a film has done that to her since [REC]. I wouldn't say it's up there with that film but it's definitely one of the better horror films I've seen of late so would heartily recommend.

Link Prime

Quote from: Keef Monkey on 31 August, 2020, 03:29:45 PM
Watched Host last night on Shudder

Had that pegged as a cheaper version of 'Unfriended' and glad to hear I was wrong.

Still haven't convinced the other half that we need a Shudder account yet, as she rightly puts it we barely have enough time to watch a few hours of Netflix a week together, but I shall persevere.

MacabreMagpie

Aye I watched Host recently too and enjoyed it.

You can get Shudder on a free trial to check it out for a month, if that helps.

TordelBack

Solo again, this time with a lot of pausing and peering about. I really, really like this film. It's a splendid if nonsensical little adventure, with some terrific performances. Its biggest flaws are the rather cruel way it burns through great characters like Val,  L3 and the wonderful Rio, and the relentless murk of the first 20 or 30 minutes. In fact this same issue persists through way too many scenes, almost as if Howard is trying to hide the aliens and environments instead of the usual showcasing.

Pushing the brightness up as far it will go for the cantina and spaceport on Vandor and taking it slo-o-o-w reveals some very impressive work that should have been memorable if you could have seen it, ditto the underground action on Kessel. There's no saving much of Corellia and Mimban, though - Fincher himself wouldn't go as far into the fog as this crowd goes. It's a shame.

I actually really appreciate that it's so unashamed about being a dependent prequel/episode rather than pretending to be its own film, using heavy-handed musical cues to lampshade moments that have no intrinsic impact without the viewer already having seen at the very least the OT,  some of the PT and a chunk of Clone Wars. But I can see how that stirs up the ironically Pavlovian responses of the RLM posse.

Ultimately it's just a good fun journey,  chockablock with loveable characters. Easily in the top half of my overall SW list,  and in the top two of the Disney movies, and Q'ira's story really must continue in some form,  with or without Han & Chewie.

Greg M.

Quote from: TordelBack on 31 August, 2020, 04:28:16 PM
Solo again, this time with a lot of pausing and peering about. I really, really like this film.... Ultimately it's just a good fun journey,  chockablock with loveable characters.
It's great fun - the only post-Lucas SW film I've really enjoyed. Lots of enjoyable performances - Emilia Clarke in particular gives a very charismatic turn.

On a related note, I finally saw Episode IX. It's probably on a par with TFA - that is to say, awful but with a couple of things going for it. It's good to see Finn with a bit more get up and go again, and the film just about manages to redeem Ben Solo - I'd have let him survive. However, the first half is surprisingly unengaging, even on a superficial don't-think-about-it-too-hard level. I did like the pig-faced aliens in the desert - they were awfully nice. And the big slug fella with the pointy bits - I wanted more of him.

broodblik

Solo was much better than any off the new trilogy for me. The new trilogy never felt like one cohesive story. It was like when I was in school and we will sit in a circle. One person start a story and the next person adds something to the story. The original concept is completely lost when the story is returned to the originator.
When I die, I want to die like my grandfather who died peacefully in his sleep. Not screaming like all the passengers in his car.

Old age is the Lord's way of telling us to step aside for something new. Death's in case we didn't take the hint.

Professor Bear

Bill & Ted Face The Music - or rather, Bill & Ted Face Mortality, having already been killed off in the previous film, they instead face an existential threat both metaphorical and literal as their failure to live up to the potential of their youth suddenly intrudes upon their middle-aged lives and goodness me but that isn't a subtle metaphor, yet it did elicit at least one "aww" from me when [spoiler]they're both laying in their deathbeds and Bill says "just one more thing to do before we go."[/spoiler]
On a meta level, it's a reboot movie where middle-aged white blokes are replaced by women, but instead of shitting themselves in an hour-long Youtube essay about it, Bill & Ted accept it gracefully that they aren't the ones to decide the shape of the future because it's not for them and there is a time coming when they won't be in it.

It does occasionally look shockingly cheap, and the ending does get a bit RTD-era Dr Who, but I enjoyed it.  They really ought to make more comedies that aren't mean-spirited.