Main Menu

Prog 2158 Fear the Reaper

Started by Proudhuff, 16 November, 2019, 01:44:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sinister Vegas

Proudhuff

DDT did a job on me

Tjm86

Hmmm.  Unusual to get to tuesday and still dolefully gazing at the doormat.

Although it is becoming far more frequent ..

moly

The Monarch

nah surely us newsie peeps won't get it before the subs....err right?

broodblik

Prog landed as expected @ 04h15

Another good prog just run so far has been great.

A new Dredd story starts with art by Nick Percival. This time around it is about a serial killer.

Defoe's art is a lot more clearer than previous episodes. We heading to a all-action finale here.

The highlight this time is Hope. What a grim dark story enjoying every second of this
When I die, I want to die like my grandfather who died peacefully in his sleep. Not screaming like all the passengers in his car.

Old age is the Lord's way of telling us to step aside for something new. Death's in case we didn't take the hint.

broodblik

Another thing for all your Survival Geek fans this is the thrill of the future - "Crisis of Infinite Nerds".
When I die, I want to die like my grandfather who died peacefully in his sleep. Not screaming like all the passengers in his car.

Old age is the Lord's way of telling us to step aside for something new. Death's in case we didn't take the hint.

Frank

HIGH ART
LOW  ART

IS THERE ANY DISTINCTION AND WHAT DOES IT MEAN WHEN ONE ADOPTS THE FORMS OF THE OTHER?

For thousands of years, art was the preserve of kings and emperors and the only suitable subjects of art were the only things that stood above kings and emperors: god(s) and the heavens.

Kings and emperors sometimes featured in the art, but only to show their relation to and humble servitude of the gods*. The Renaissance relaxed the rules to include the obscenely wealthy, but it was the late-19th century before the mundane was considered a suitable subject for Art.

The value system flipped** and now the only art that deals with gods and their ways is the low sort. Defoe's literally about a god, Brink's Melancholema and Chronozon are gods (real or not), and Cade and the Sisters are either gods or their opposites.

Lichtenstein and Warhol put commercial art and pop culture in the academy, so comics occupied the abandoned high ground. But comic creators, omnivores that they are, can't let Proper Art go. As well as the examples above, last week's episode of Defoe saw SK Moore come all over Leonardo.

Comics have inherited art's former fixation on the elevated, whether that's gods or the privileged forms of high art, although 2000ad probably has as many fans as Bacon and Kahlo did in their lifetimes. Broxton quoting Bacon is especially interesting, given that work's history of inspiring low art that became high art ***

* Except when the kings and emperors decided they were gods, in which case they would commission the creation of monumental works of art that desperately tried to convince the viewer that this act of self-deification was anything more than mental illness or the same social isolation that means nobody dares tell Mark Zuckerberg he needs to change the way he gets his hair cut.

** When the wealthy decided God was dead, the value system flipped and now the lowly are deified. The Art world is falling over itself to work a Grenfell angle into every exhibit and wealthy patrons are trying to live forever by coopting the exercise and dietary habits of peasants.

*** If Alien hasn't quite yet joined Nosferatu (an unlicensed pulp knock-off!) and the works of Hitchcock on the leger of schlock subsequently revaluated as high art, it's only the death of its director away from doing so

Tiplodocus

Yeah, but did you like it? Marks out of 10?
Be excellent to each other. And party on!

Frank

I'd give you one, Tips*

* Offer of sexual favour conditional upon purchase of meal and drinks. Flowers optional

IndigoPrime

No Prog here yet. I can't recall the last time it hadn't arrived on a Wednesday. Maybe tomorrow.

Frank

I couldn't remember anything in previous books of Brink indicating the WASP-ish sounding Bridget Kurtis was Latinx, so found it odd to learn she grew up in the barrio and has a mum neighbours call Mama Dora. Turns out German-Mexicans are a thing.

Proudhuff

Saw this in FP before it hits my doorstep... :'(
DDT did a job on me

Colin YNWA

Wayhey the Prog has landed - finally - so where are we. Well Wagner Dredd has finished so we know we're on a bit of a downer but a decenting part to the new story by Michael Carroll and Nick Percival softens the blow... somewhat.

The art in Defoe continues to settle down and is all the better for it. Brink continues to be quiet genius. I seen folks say that this story isn't served well by being in short episodic chunks and I really couldn't disagree more. Each part and its defined sharp apartly simple scenes bring into sharp focus tense atmosphere, the sharp characterisation and the glory in the details, that final page. Then as you look back you get the slow realisation that week on week these small perfectly formed vignettes perfectly craft the wider piece and somehow a lot has happened. It just works so, so well.

Fall of Deadworld on the other hand does a brilliant story in a completely different way. It drops you in, shakes you about, bursts and explodes all over the page and leaves you exilerated. Both work wonderfully and their difference and yet commonality define the wonder of the Galaxys Greatest.

Oh and then Hope sneaks up behind you and quietly sticks a knife in and leaves you hanging on breathless in a dark alley.

Good stuff.