Main Menu

A name for a boy

Started by Trout, 26 July, 2009, 02:22:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

TordelBack

QuoteLuckily we have two daughters, and we named them Audrey

For a second there, I thought you meant you named them both Audrey, no doubt making the youngest Audrey II.  Feed me!

locustsofdeath!

Oh TordelBack, had you suggested that 11 months and 8 days ago I would have done my damnedest to convince my wife to go for it. That would have been Absolutely Fantastic  ;D.

mygrimmbrother

Trout

I stand in awe of this amazing board!

Thanks loads - sincerely - for all your suggestions, especially the unusual ones. They're all being considered, to some extent, and even more would be welcome.

Also, thanks for the many LOL moments on here, especially:
"A free ham sandwich to the first person to call their kid Cthulhu."
Utter, utter genius.

I fear we may end up with something "solid" but I'd love to call him Icarus, Han, Ivan, Lon or several of the others. You never know...

The decision will be revealed when the sprog pops out (yes, it's all very quick and easy, I'm sure!) in mid-November, and this board will see an announcement within hours of the happy event.

All the best

- Trout

vzzbux

Women make such a fuss over the pain of childbirth, I bet it is just a walk in the park, they fake it to make us feel bad ;D

V
Drokking since 1972

Peace is a lie, there's only passion.
Through passion, I gain strength.
Through strength I gain power.
Through power, I gain victory.
Through victory, my chains are broken.

ThryllSeekyr

If you do call him or her SLAINE...

Then it doesn't matter, because I think it is a uni-sex name and hours of fun finding out correct and other types of pronouciation.

Satanist

Our 2 are Adam Floyd & Jack Stephen. The Mrs knocked back Lucifer as a middle name right from the start.

Jack Donachie sounds good tae me.
Hmm, just pretend I wrote something witty eh?

SmallBlueThing

Quote from: Emperor on 26 July, 2009, 10:42:52 PM

Top marks to Mrs TheCat for letting you run with the naming, by the way.

A free ham sandwich to the first person to call their kid Cthulhu.

Actually, both Bram and Bela were first thought of and championed by Mrs TheCat. My first choices were Kai and Pan. And Lon.

Re Cthulhu- I did moot it for our second boy, and only half-jokingly. There was also a wonderful time when Bela's middle names were going to include Shub-Niggurath. But despite the obvious 'n' word conotations therein, what put the lady off was the almost-spoonerism, "Knob-shaggeroth". Women!

Steev

Peter Wolf

What weird and wonderful names on this thread.

I have never understood the concept of middle names as i dont have one and neither does anyone else in my family either.Its also funny that such an unorthodox family all have sensible straightforward names.

I quite like plain sensible names anyway and believe me a plain name will not stop your kid from being bullied or ridiculed at school like someone else has already said as kids are creative .

I was called "Poolf" to rhyme with Poof obviously amongst other things.
Worthing Bazaar - A fete worse than death

Feral Jackson

I've got 2 boys. Kim (yes he had some trouble, but its a Norse king, he is proud of his name) & Adam. My husband wanted Eric Bloodaxe or Harley, but I had to be a party pooper. We did use Harley as a middle name though.

Bolt-01

Heh, I love this place, and this is a great example of why.

Micro-bolt has Kirby as a middle name and Nano-bolt has the middle name of Mai.

Trout- I reckon Jack or Robert sound really good, and I second the BFC's call to make him sound hard.

Or failing that, you have Rose, so you can call the troutlet either White or Red...

Tiplodocus

Well Tiny Tips was mostly named after my little brother Daniel(but his big brother and sister had a name in it as well and suggested Jonathan as his middle name so he has an instant nickname in DJ).

Naming Tips
Imagine yourself shouting it out loud in a crowded Supermarket - that'll put you off a few. Will you sound cool or cruel - "Pinot Grigio, come back here!"

More traditional is the Royalty test. Stick King or Prince in front of it. Does it sound cool or naff.

Much like the reason I won't go for a tattoo is that I know my taste changes as I get older.  So if I'd call my kids Han, Luke and Leia back in the day, I'd just feel embarrassed about it now.

I'd go for something mental and Scottish if I were you; Lachlan or Callum might work.

My nephew has named his daughter ODETTE (Swan Lake) and DASHIEL (after Hammett but also after Dash from THE INCREDIBLES). 

God damn I wish I'd thought of DASH first.
Be excellent to each other. And party on!

CraveNoir

A few ideas for you

Maximillian
Dresden
Concept
Yesterday
Horridge
Starsky
Gnasher
Citizen
Umlaut
Robot
Starnog-Seven

The middle name should be Danger or Slitherin

Richmond Clements

Quality suggestions there, Crave.

Trout- there's a shiny 10p in it for you if you call him Umlaut.

SamuelAWilkinson

Crobstoppler?

Grab it now, before I can knock some girl up and use it for myself!
Nobody warned me I would be so awesome.