Main Menu

x-men graphic novels

Started by zep, 31 July, 2003, 11:34:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

zep

i like the x-men and want to buy some graphic novels. i have the good 'e is for extinctiuon' new x-men series and have orded the volume 1 of essential x-men from forbiddenplanetstore.com  can anyoe reccomend any other good ones?? is uncanny and xtreme as good as new ? please help

SmallBlueThing

From what I've read of Uncanny and Extreme, the answer's no. However, if you only have 'e is for extinction', pick up vols 2-4, 'Imperial', 'New Worlds' and 'Riot At Xavier's' sharpish, because it just gets better.

Also Ultimate X-Men is a damn good read (currently 4 or 5 volumes available, I love count).

Steev
Fixed stare, shuffling gait, wormy skin, Marvel Zombie.

SmallBlueThing

> (I love count).

Yes. That was bizarre. I did not mean to put "I love to count" or indeed, "I love cunt"- but, "I LOSE count". Hope that clears it up. Sorry.

Steev

DavidXBrunt

As of today there are 6 volumes of Ultimate, though I think #3 is out of print.

La Mer

As Im not a great lover of x-men, I dont know many, ut I do know that 'god loves, man kills' is a good story alone, and in a related way- marvels (recounts the first appearance in part...)
worth a look.

JamieB

The run written by Chris Claremont - mostly reprinted in the ESSENTIAL collections - is considered by many to be the best X-stuff; Grant Morrison and Frank Quitely's revamp began with E IS FOR EXTINCTION and is ongoing; and the Lee stuff from the very start is also worth a go.

Over and above that, it's pretty much a case of individual preference; I'd recommend Peter Milligan's excellent X-FORCE / X-STATIX series.

J-Bo-1

zep

i buy the ultimate x-men reprint edition (two issues = 1 uk issue). that is very good.does anyone know about the 'fallof the mutants' book? 'mutant massacre'?

Mk13

I have no compunction in reccomending both New X-Men and Ultimate X-Men - good quality stuff all round.

Try and get em in the big hardback editions, because they're gorgeously produced books, and don't seem to cost a lot more than the equivalent amount of stuff in paperback - around a tenner for paperbacks, and betwen ?20-25 for hardbacks, which contain twice the amount of material.

Will I. Cooling

You can't go wrong with Morrison's New X-Men although I'd get in order (Volume numbers are on the books) as Grant's writing his run as a "novel". That said if you really want to get the best one possible get Riot at Xavier's- it has the best story and the most Quietly.

Milar's Ultimate X-Men (well the two volumes I've read) are good comics ESPECIALLY if your new to X-Men. If your read any of the Claremont run, etc then you will probably boil with rage at how he simplfys some of the badies (both his Sabertooth and Juggeraunt are 2D). Also it suffers from his common failing of building up massive bad guys and then having them defeated really quickly. Still its good comics.

Oh and geat the Essential X-Men (unless your completionist get the X-Men collections first not the Uncanny X-Men ones as they contain the Lee/Kirby run that bombed). Claremont is a great writer and these collections are great, real phone books worth (about 300 pages) for around ?10. Top quality, top comics.

Don't read Uncanny X-men but I've heard its inconsitent and/or dire and X-Treme is said to be alright if your Claremont nut with nice art.

Oh and get Milligan's X-Force/X-Statix.

Will
The I is for 'I can't remember the password to my other account' or Ian. One or the other.

zep

thanks i ordered essential x-men volume 1 .(starting after the first series, about issue 90-... not the very first lot with the snowman(lol) etc.) i ordered it from forbiddenplanetstore.com and its takin bloody ages. i ordered it 2 weeks ago and its still not here! im used to amazon service, 24 hours ;) has anyone else ordered from forbiddenplanetstore.com and had problems??? please help coz i neeed to read the book. neeeeed.

JimBob

Be careful with the X-men, theres some great stuff out there, Morrisons New X-men, the Captain Britain GN (Moore and Davies, nice!) and the Ultimate version;
However: for any one bought up on 2000 Ad the never ending subplots, embarrisingly hammed up foriegn accents and occasional lapsses into sentimentality make a lot of Chris Claremonts stuff very hit and miss. I found the Essential volumes pretty much unreadable which was a big surprise as I always liked Claremonts Excalibur.
 and avoid anythting with the name Lobdell on the cover; truely this generations Fleisher.

Jim

Will I. Cooling

His foreign places are a bit iffy aren't they? Got disagree with you though on the never ending storylines, I quite like them as they bulid things up to like for example the New X-men's battle with Magneto-

Spolier

1st fight Magneto wins because the X-men are pulled out by Cyclops despite Wolverine protesting that they would have won, 2nd time Magneto defeats them easily and then we get te third blow off fight where the X-Men defeat Magneto by working together.

End of Spolier

The way Claremont builds that is brilliant and makes MAgneto seem far more a threat than the more tpk friendly stories of today. Although of course it goes without saying that 2000ad was producing better stuff back then.
The I is for 'I can't remember the password to my other account' or Ian. One or the other.

Will I. Cooling

You want be disappointed. Just finished reading yesterday (I got Dark Phoniex first) and I loved it. Also to correct a typo each essential volume has around 550 pages reach is frankly incredible plus their in b/w meaning you don't get 4-colour colouring which is horrible.

Will

zep

does anyone know where you can see the x-men covers online? and if you could becayse ive been searching for ages the essential x-men comic (not the graphic novel, the monthly reprint comic).

Slippery PD

I liked Claremonts run on Uncanny, which is probably the reason its so popular now.  It had a regualr writer for well over ten years (Im not sure how long he actually wrote it), allowing complex plotlines to be formed.

Claremont has a knack, like wagner of pulling out a number of complex plotlines and creating a linking thread through them all over a length of time.....  for example see the Mr Sinister plotlines......

Yer I dont like Spandex Slips