Main Menu

Last movie watched...

Started by SmallBlueThing, 04 February, 2011, 12:40:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ICONIC_TM

Watching logan`s run film four, (RUN RUNNER!)

I, Cosh

Never really got the love for Firefly. Too many characters spread too thin and suffers very badly from Next Generation Syndrome, i.e. no tension between characters as everyone gets along famously, even the characters like Jayne who're meant to come across as bad eggs are secretly lovable.
Quote from: Roger Godpleton on 14 January, 2012, 07:04:03 PM
Shame - I found that the directorial voice was perhaps overly insistent but still less than invasive. I would like to see a genre film from this fellow. A couple of bits did fail to ring true but this was mainly because these bells had been rung before. Also could have done with more Fassbender wang.
I liked it because you sawed all minges and the wanky man was funny. And he done good acting.
We never really die.

Roger Godpleton

I also liked the fact that doggy style is still the kinkiest type of sex that people have in movies.
He's only trying to be what following how his dreams make you wanna be, man!

JOE SOAP

Quote from: Roger Godpleton on 14 January, 2012, 07:04:03 PMAlso could have done with more Fassbender wang.

I could give him your number?

Roger Godpleton

So you're saying that all Irish people know each other? RACIST.
He's only trying to be what following how his dreams make you wanna be, man!

SuperSurfer

Quote from: The Cosh on 18 January, 2012, 11:37:48 PM
The Battle of Algiers, which Lovefilm informs me I have had at home since 11 Nov 2010. Powerful stuff.

Cosh, you've mentioned two of my favourite films on the last few pages here: 'Aguirre: The Wrath of God' and 'Battle of Algiers'.

I've only seen both of them once and have been looking out for them. Neither are on iTunes so I better check out Amazon. 'Aguirre...' is available in a Werner Herzog boxset so might go for that. I love the whole concept of that film.

I first heard of Battle of Algiers when I read that the US military would study it in order to get into the head of insurgents in Iraq.

Both cruel, gripping, powerful films.

JOE SOAP

Quote from: Roger Godpleton on 20 January, 2012, 12:47:30 AM
So you're saying that all Irish people know each other? RACIST.

Only those with more wang than others.

Beaky Smoochies

Has Aguirre: Wrath of God  ever been screened on British or Irish telly, I've been looking for that movie to be broadcast for what seems like a veritable ice age, still one of those films I really wanna see, but never seems to come on, is it any good (I've heard all the crazy stories about it's production, and the insane antics of both Herzog and Klaus Kinski)...?
"When the people fear the government there is tyranny, when the government fear the people there is LIBERTY!" - Thomas Jefferson.

"That government is best which governs least" - Thomas Jefferson.

Gonk

Danton, with Gerard Depardieu in title role. I'm normally to lazy to watch subtitled films, but this one had me gripped. Robespierre's surveillance of Danton and subsequent orders for his thugs to destroy his shop and printing press is truly spinechilling, and sets the mood of political paranoia throughout the rest of the film. The Robespierre character is portrayed as being almost vampiric, a damned soul. For all his evil however, somehow sympathy for him is evoked in the film.
coming at a cinema near you soon

Tiplodocus

SUNSHINE

I'd seen this ages ago but Mrs Tips had the hairdryer going causing the signal to blockout so I'd missed out key parts of the plot.

So pleasantly suprised to find out where Pinbacker came from  - I'd assumed he was just some physical manifestation of the sun as god theme that was running through the film (and actually, I still do).

Really enjoyed it - the influences are everywhere though - even it's own "let's have a dreamy eyed, floppy haired physicist played by Cillian Murphy who, coincidentally looks a lot like the dreamy eyed, floppy haired physicist who was the science adviser on the film".

Oh and the music was fantastic.
Be excellent to each other. And party on!

radiator

I love Sunshine, and don't agree at all with the consensus that the ending lets it down. I think the third act needs that jolt of energy and change of pace - how else would they have ended it? I also really like how Pinbacker was visualised.

There is a great commentary on the DVD by Dr Brian Cox, where he admits that - yes - Cappa was to some extent based on him.

Apparently the filmmakers didn't think it would be believable to have a great physicist be young and fresh-faced until they met with Cox.

I, Cosh

Quote from: SuperSurfer on 20 January, 2012, 12:53:44 AM
I've only seen both of them once and have been looking out for them. Neither are on iTunes so I better check out Amazon. 'Aguirre...' is available in a Werner Herzog boxset so might go for that. I love the whole concept of that film.
The Herzog/Kinski set is well worth it. Aguirre, Fitzcarraldo and the accompanying documentary are all riveting and the other three films are worth a look too. However, Edinburgh and Glasgow have both had short Herzog seasons in the last month to show off new prints of some of the films (although, as noted, at least one is dubbed) so it's probably worth checking if your local arthouse cinema has the same thing planned.

Quote from: radiator on 20 January, 2012, 01:13:00 PM
I love Sunshine, and don't agree at all with the consensus that the ending lets it down. I think the third act needs that jolt of energy and change of pace - how else would they have ended it? I also really like how Pinbacker was visualised.
Agree. Sunshine is easily my favourite sci-fi film of recent years and one which has joined the pantheon of films that I can stick on after a night out or on a hungover Sunday and let wash the cares away. It manages to do a hell of lot very simply and, I assume, cheaply without ever looking cheap.
Boyle's films always use music well, but I really have to mention the sequence where they have to go out and repair the shield. Fantastic.
We never really die.

radiator

I find pretty much all of Danny Boyle's earlier films endlessly rewatchable - I even have a soft spot for A Life Less Ordinary and The Beach. Millions would probably be the exception - though it has it's moments. I enjoyed Slumdog and 127 Hours, but they didn't have that same energy for me - haven't gone back to them since seeing them at the cinema.

Shame Boyle didn't do Alien Resurrection (which he was offered IIRC)- could have been a much more interesting film than it was.

Davek

Watched Black Swan in two parts, 1st half earlier this week and 2nd half tonight.  Was really surprised by how disturbing and thought provoking it was.

SmallBlueThing

Troll Hunter- which was joyous, hilarious, beautiful fun of the highest order. Gorgeous scenery, brilliant creatures, perfect effects, and a faitytale Roald Dahl meets Blair Witch feel.

I now want to hang about in woods at night and shout "TROLLLLLLLLLLLL!!!!!!!" while running past afeared hikers.

SBT