Main Menu

Last movie watched...

Started by SmallBlueThing, 04 February, 2011, 12:40:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Goaty

I notice that What We Do In The Shadows is on Netflix now as not see it before.

El Chivo

The Skin I Live In
Not a massive Almodovar fan, but this was awesome!
Wasn´t expecting that! :o

Cheers

Chi

ThryllSeekyr

Almost watched Rollerball, all the way through, but only the first 20 minutes really.

Really, because I have short span of attention sometimes. Some of you may know why I bothered to look up You-Tube for the full version of the film. Since I was currently broke (Yet, not for long!) and just eager to see how the game works from what I watched of it.

Then Google searched for the rules and found this......

Fact-Sheet & Rules of the Game

I just wanted to compare it with another game.

Like could you imagine Celts chasing severed head around on frozen pond or small lake with a small island in the middle that is actually in a pit where people can look down from the rim and see the action below. Players access the rink from a tunnel going under the frozen lake back up and out of the centre of the island. Where they use bladed-footwear to skate around after the ball... I mean the disembodied head!

I'm not exactly sure what might pass for motorcycles in those days, but horses may be wrong and then I thought, sled dogs like Huskies. Maybe Wolves, or Wolf-Hounds and even that didn't seem right. 

Heads enter the playing fields by a thrower or a catapult (If they're really lazy!) and I can only assume the goals are either edge of the pit, but down below inside the wall and with some sort of gnarly funnel like contraption to catch the former thinking, seeing, hearing, breathing, talking, eating appendage. Tumbling them all the way back to Cythrawl. Yes, know you all know I'm definitely talking about Slaine now.

It's like killing two birds with one stone......as these heads fly directly down on the capital city of Gulagg making some sort of platter on they're pavements.

Some time earlier this very night as well, I started watching San Andreas with my father and it was already twenty minutes into it. By the time I had got around to watching this and then I sat through the beginning again to see something that could only remind me somebody riding on a dragon to rescue his ex-wife from the top or burning of wicker-man. Which might mean druids have certainly come up a lot in (At a guess...) the last 1500 years all caused by the effects of a miniature Ragnarok type of catastrophe.

Like, I have been thinking that anybody living east of the fault line should move over to the right and keep going until they're in Texas. Yet, maybe the entire continent east of Los-Angeles goes under while the rest becomes it's own small island.

Which leads me to believe if Cathbad and Slough Feg and the other guy with the funny hat are working together.  Kind of like a reversal of three of the five Istari of Middle-Earth, one of which had a falling out with the other two.

The film will be repeating itself all night and until five next morning!

Thanks for putting up with my dribble :D   

Pegasus P Artichoke

Alan Quatermain and the Lost City of Gold

Richard Chamberlain, Sharon Stone and James Earl Jones doing great in a low budget Indiana Jones inspired movie

Yeah it's daft and a bit over the top but it always makes me smile and it's got a cracking theme tune
We'll give them back their heroes

Mardroid

Sundown: The Vampire in Retreat.

This film was new to me, when I came across it on the Horror channel. When I saw from the sypnosis that it starred Bruce Campbell, I decided to record it. I only got round to watching it recently over two nights. (I was so tired the first night a couple of weeks back, I drifted off during the film. Not due to boredom, this really was a case of the mind being willing but the body was weak.)

It seems this film came out in 1989.

It's basically a kind of horror (although not a particularly scary one) comedy western. Western, in the sense that it plays with Western tropes, i.e. the small town in the West setting, characters, music and gunplay. And a gang of vampires on horseback turn up too.But it's set in the modern (well 80s) day so there are trucks, cars, etc. too.

It is very, very silly. But it KNOWS it is. The affects are pretty bad too but again, they're played for laughs. The premise follows a town in the West which is a last haven for vampires who wish to experience modern life and get along with humans although there are few actual humans in the town. (I think the only ones are those that turn up in the course of the film, namely a man and his family who created the blueprints of a blood substitute machine, three youngsters, and a bumbling descendant of Van Helsing played by Campbell.) They do this with the aid of sunglasses, sunblock and a strange yellow coloured blood substitute. They even sit around in the local diner with their food going mouldy for appearances sake in case any humans pass through. (They don't eat it you see. Why they leave it out for days on end without changing it, I'm not sure. Probably because not all that many humans pass through, and they're lazy, I guess.)

Except of course, there's a large proportion of the vampires who want to go back to the old ways... Kind predictable, I know.

I was amused that the Head Vampire (Count Mardulak) has a surname similar to my own, played by the late great David Carradine*. (I share the first syllable of my surname with the count. It's a happy coincidence that 'Mardroid' is one letter different from a cyborg character in the Dreddverse.)

The film is very silly. The acting is cheesy. It's not a good film, but it is amusing and  I found it entertaining.

As for Campbell, he only turns up some way into the film. It was interesting seeing him play this bumbling clumsy geek character rather than the, well, equally bumbling but generally much more suave and tough characters I seem to associate him with. Okay, that's mainly Ash** (although he's not all that suave) and the Prince of Thieves character from Hercules/Xena. To be fair he has played other kinds of characters.

*Why did you have to die in such a stupid way Mr. Carradine. Dear me.

**Side-note: I am so stoked for the new Ash vs. the Evil Dead series coming to Starz this Halloween! But I don't have Starz! Aaaagh!

radiator

Headhunters, the big Norwegian Jaime Lannister-starring hit from a few years back, on Netflix.

Wasn't sure what to expect, but had a lot of fun with it. The twisty-turny, convoluted plot is utterly ludicrous - my suspension of disbelief was on a razors edge throughout - but there were enough bonkers set-pieces and crazy shenanigans to keep me hooked. One of those films where it's best to go in totally cold and avoid watching the spoilery trailer.

Well worth a look. Just be prepared to have to concentrate hard to keep up with the crazy plot (and blink and you'll miss 'em subtitles) - and also to let a lot of silliness wash over you, not questioning the plausibility of certain events.

4/5

Big Trouble in Little China

First time watching. This, by any reasonable standard, is not a good film. The dialogue is hilariously bad, the characters broadly drawn, the plot is gibberish. But it just has a winning charm doesn't it? This is largely the result of Kurt Russell's hapless lead character, some great 80s special effects work and some wonderfully funny moments. Was a bit bored for the first half, but by the end I was laughing my arse off and punching the air in delight.

4/5

Not a bad little Saturday night double bill!

Zarjazzer

Mad Max Fury Road-a two hour chase that never flags. Really enjoyed it and some great characters, a very 2000ad vibe I felt watching it- post apocalypse dieselpunk on steroids. Some of the scenes are burned into my mind [spoiler]the "tree" sequence especially[/spoiler]. Two hours just flew by. Spray painting your teeth to get into Valhalla never looked so good.

The Justice department has a good re-education programme-it's called five to ten in the cubes.

JamesC

It Follows

I was looking forward to this but unfortunately I found it pretty tedious with a horrible, irritating soundtrack.
I'm not sure where all the love for this film comes from. There were some good (but underdeveloped) ideas but there's not much else to recommend it in my opinion. The characters, even for a horror film, are notably one-dimensional.

ThryllSeekyr

Quote from: Mardroid on 11 October, 2015, 02:56:38 PM
Sundown: The Vampire in Retreat.

This film was new to me, when I came across it on the Horror channel. When I saw from the sypnosis that it starred Bruce Campbell, I decided to record it. I only got round to watching it recently over two nights. (I was so tired the first night a couple of weeks back, I drifted off during the film. Not due to boredom, this really was a case of the mind being willing but the body was weak.)

It seems this film came out in 1989.

It's basically a kind of horror (although not a particularly scary one) comedy western. Western, in the sense that it plays with Western tropes, i.e. the small town in the West setting, characters, music and gunplay. And a gang of vampires on horseback turn up too.But it's set in the modern (well 80s) day so there are trucks, cars, etc. too.

It is very, very silly. But it KNOWS it is. The affects are pretty bad too but again, they're played for laughs. The premise follows a town in the West which is a last haven for vampires who wish to experience modern life and get along with humans although there are few actual humans in the town. (I think the only ones are those that turn up in the course of the film, namely a man and his family who created the blueprints of a blood substitute machine, three youngsters, and a bumbling descendant of Van Helsing played by Campbell.) They do this with the aid of sunglasses, sunblock and a strange yellow coloured blood substitute. They even sit around in the local diner with their food going mouldy for appearances sake in case any humans pass through. (They don't eat it you see. Why they leave it out for days on end without changing it, I'm not sure. Probably because not all that many humans pass through, and they're lazy, I guess.)

Except of course, there's a large proportion of the vampires who want to go back to the old ways... Kind predictable, I know.

I was amused that the Head Vampire (Count Mardulak) has a surname similar to my own, played by the late great David Carradine*. (I share the first syllable of my surname with the count. It's a happy coincidence that 'Mardroid' is one letter different from a cyborg character in the Dreddverse.)

The film is very silly. The acting is cheesy. It's not a good film, but it is amusing and  I found it entertaining.

As for Campbell, he only turns up some way into the film. It was interesting seeing him play this bumbling clumsy geek character rather than the, well, equally bumbling but generally much more suave and tough characters I seem to associate him with. Okay, that's mainly Ash** (although he's not all that suave) and the Prince of Thieves character from Hercules/Xena. To be fair he has played other kinds of characters.

*Why did you have to die in such a stupid way Mr. Carradine. Dear me.

**Side-note: I am so stoked for the new Ash vs. the Evil Dead series coming to Starz this Halloween! But I don't have Starz! Aaaagh!

David Carradine and assuming your talking about the guy fromKung-Fu, (He has brother called John[/b , I believe!)  I recall reading about how he was found after accidently killing himself doing something. A very embarrassing way to go for such a man and I always thought the lisp (Wether intentional or not!) was a bad idea in for the Kill-Bill films.

Buttonman

radiator

No Country For Old Men.

Hmmm. Lovely cinematography and some great visual storytelling aside, I found it kind of meandering and tedious, and on the whole a very unsatisfying watch.

There is no rhyme nor reason, nor any justice in the world. Is that the point? Cos I really didn't need to sit through a (hugely overlong and indulgent) two hour film to tell me that. Also, I found it way up its own arse for what essentially boils down to a grungy genre chase movie.

JamesC

I felt the same about No Country for Old Men.
I thought some of the performances were absolutely excellent though - just a shame they weren't part of a more satisfying film.

SIP

Glad I'm not the only one who didn't enjoy "no country for old men".  It so often comes up in peoples favourite film list that i thought I was missing something. Left me cold and slightly bored.

Hawkmumbler

It's undoubtably a well made movie but a real chore to sit through.

von Boom

Quote from: radiator on 11 October, 2015, 06:23:43 PM

Big Trouble in Little China

First time watching. This, by any reasonable standard, is not a good film. The dialogue is hilariously bad, the characters broadly drawn, the plot is gibberish. But it just has a winning charm doesn't it? This is largely the result of Kurt Russell's hapless lead character, some great 80s special effects work and some wonderfully funny moments. Was a bit bored for the first half, but by the end I was laughing my arse off and punching the air in delight.

4/5

Not a bad little Saturday night double bill!

One of my favourite films of all time. Russell is perfect as the sidekick that thinks he's the hero. So many quotable lines and never takes itself too seriously.

Part of the Carpenter/Russell trifecta: Escape from New York, The Thing, Big Trouble in Little China.

It got a lot of hype in the 80s because it was the first Hollywood film with a predominately Asian cast.

I just hope the rumours of rebooting this film with Dwayne Johnson in the lead never happen.