Main Menu

Board Competition - Redesign Judge Dredd

Started by Mr D, 11 February, 2004, 07:19:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bolt-01

Okay, this is the first pic of Mini-bolts that he wanted to share with us.

http://img24.photobucket.com/albums/v71/Bolt-01/JD_minibolt1.jpg>

He says he is not trying to score points by being young, and is fed-up that his old dad wont let him register for himself.

Minibolt (through Bolt-01)

Bolt-01

Damn, dont know how to Re-size these.

This is my take on the uniform. Well diificult to do as Carlos' design is so strong.

Ah well.

http://img24.photobucket.com/albums/v71/Bolt-01/JD_Boltv1.jpg>

Bolt-01

Bolt-01

Help! I hate it when threads go larger than my screen!

I will replace this in a day or so, when I get the time to have a go at a colour scheme and shrink the bloomin' thing!

Sorry.

Bolt-01

ESCUBRIA

Most of these fan drawings still look like they were drawn in the 70's.

That last one even looks like he has wild west leg chaps!

The original design is timeless of course but shouldn't we be trying to design uniforms that are more reflective of how we view futuristic cop fashion from the viewpoint of 2004, not trying to remould the "Carlos" 70's look.

Matt Timson

It's a bit awkward really.  I think Carlos's original helmet design was meant to be based on a hood- as in Judge, Jury and Executioner- which is kind of hard to improve upon.

It seems logical that the character would wear some sort of helmet- if only for protection (and it's also a bit hard to get around the fact that we never see Dredd's face, so nobody seems to want to come up with a design that doesn't incorporate a way of hiding it- even though that probably wasn't part of the original brief).

You can't really go with a face covering helmet as you'd then have the problem of a totally expressionless Judge- which really only leaves a variation on the helmet he already has- or you just design him with a face and be done with it.

I think that's what I'm going to do.  If I get time!
Pffft...

Bolt-01

They aren't Wild west chaps, instead they are an area of increased padding (or some such...) as he rides around on a dirty great motorbike and it must really wear away at the inner thighs.

Or maybe he just likes Christina Aguilera.

Bolt-01

Dudley

> it must really wear away at the inner thighs

Certainly the reason Christina Aguilera wears 'em.

Jared Katooie

Perps?

He's gotta catch 'em all!

http://img19.photobucket.com/albums/v58/jaredkatooie/PokeD.bmp>

VampiraJen

"I hate it when threads go larger than my screen!"

it's a pisser innit?  i like mini bolts drawing, and your own.  I'm cursing at everyone who has flashy arty software on their computer, i have  none of this, you will just get a sketch from me...sigh...sketches always look crap when you scan them onto a computer....

i am having a problem though.  when i scan, the picture always emnds up bloody massive, like a billion times bigger than what i drew.  does anyone know how i fix this?

Buddy

VampiraJen, when scanning a pic for web use make sure the resolution of the image is 72 dpi.

Sounds like your resolution is bigger than required for screen use (the scanner probably defaults to 200dpi or something like that).

Hope this helps.

CraveNoir

With respect, you should really scan at a DPI higher than 72. Then you can be sure that all the details are captured from the start, and they should still be quite readable even when you've shrunk the picture.

If it's a pencil sketch, or monotone linework then you can scan in grayscale, open the saved image in an image editing program, resize it, and save this smaller version as a GIF or JPG.

A Google search for 'image editing' and 'resize' will yeild many small shareware programs that'll do the job. If you want something more robust I'd recommend downloading an evalution version of Paint Shop Pro.

Link: Paint Shop Pro

CraveNoir

Trout

I feel a bit guilty now.

Well done to Mini-Bolt, and more power to his elbow.

I'm the winner, however.

- Trout

VampiraJen

thank you, you guys are so helpful...but now i have another problem...a simple one!  How do i post imagies?  I looked at the help thingie, but found it as helpful as...something not very helpful...could someone explain it in a way my pea sized brain will understand...

Mr D

You need an image hosting service. I don't know of a good one right now, but it's been mentioned on this thread already I think. Upload your picture to this service and then write the address of the pic in the bar below your message space thing...  where it says 'optional image URL'