Main Menu

Book Nooks

Started by pauljholden, 17 February, 2020, 09:23:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

pauljholden

Look, I'm not saying you HAVE to go off and build mega city 1 themed book nooks, but frankly, I reckon the only reason they don't exist is because no-one had ever thought of them before.

Please fix this.

https://www.buzzfeed.com/christopherhudspeth/book-nooks-bookcases-shelves-creative-art-diy

Heath C Ackley

Want one, no I need one. The Blade Runner one is ace. A mega city nook would be great.

"Give a man a mask and he will give you the truth."

Funt Solo

These people have too few books.

(Or I need more shelves.)
++ A-Z ++  coma ++

Tjm86

I was going to say, I love the work that has gone into this but I have absolutely no idea where I would put one (or more).  As it is I'm eyeing my shelves and wondering whether I need more (or to do a culling .... NOOOOO!).   :-\

Gary James

Bookshelves are those things behind the ramshackle, toppling stacks of books, right? I haven't seen them in a while...

Dark Jimbo

Quote from: Funt Solo on 17 February, 2020, 09:49:09 PM
These people have too few books.

Quote from: Gary James on 18 February, 2020, 09:41:52 AM
Bookshelves are those things behind the ramshackle, toppling stacks of books, right? I haven't seen them in a while...

Truly, I am among my own people here.
@jamesfeistdraws

shaolin_monkey

I would definitely like to have a crack at making one of these, but once finished if I'm going to fit it onto the shelves I'll have to stack even more books on the floor.

moly

They look fantastic, need one on my bookcases

Rately

Incredible stuff!

A Tardis, with flashing lights and sound effects would be ace, and a cracking place to store extra bookmarks!

Proudhuff

They are marvelous, I'm long avoided getting into any kind of modelling ( long story) but these would be justifiable in my world/head...

This year was the year when I build my new library, something like this would snuggle in just right, thanks PJ  :thumbsup:.

Sooo re there plans out there or do we just make it up as we go along?
DDT did a job on me

TordelBack

Quote from: Proudhuff on 20 February, 2020, 06:49:40 PM
I'm long avoided getting into any kind of modelling...

Court order preventing you from coming within 500 yards of London Fashion Week is what I hear.

Gary James

Don't build something without at least a rough plan - either in your head, or sketched out on paper - or you will end up covered in hot glue, surrounded by bits of wood shavings, and (very likely) with a piece of metal embedded somewhere on your person. Preparation is key.
Oh, and avoid using copper if at all possible. If you get a splinter of copper in yourself your arm will have a big mark stretching up it where the infection is doing Very Bad Things.

How complex are you thinking? A simple model shouldn't take too long, but you'll eventually find yourself wanting more out of it - better to get everything in straight away rather than modifying it later to have sounds and lights.

Have you worked out where to hide mechanisms / electrics? There are three choices, each with their own strengths and drawbacks - you can hide all the workings in the base, at the back, or on the sides. Depending on the overall look you should choose whichever gives you the most options.
And make sure you are wearing not only protective equipment (safety goggles, for instance), but also appropriate clothing. If you go into A&E wearing a Sesame Street t-shirt, with bits of marshmallow stuck in your hair, then there's a chance some nice doctor will want to have a very long chat with you about how you are feeling...

Proudhuff

Quote from: Gary James on 21 February, 2020, 12:14:34 PM
And make sure you are wearing not only protective equipment (safety goggles, for instance), but also appropriate clothing. If you go into A&E wearing a Sesame Street t-shirt, with bits of marshmallow stuck in your hair, then there's a chance some nice doctor will want to have a very long chat with you about how you are feeling...

never, never put down cork tiles with strong glue in a small privy while wearing shorts, unless you want a half-arsed version or back, sack and crack... I speak from experience. :'(

Quote from: TordelBack on 21 February, 2020, 09:19:11 AM
I'm long avoided getting into any kind of modelling...

Court order preventing you from coming within 500 yards of London Fashion Week is what I hear.

I don't care what Vivienne Westwood says, the public loved it and if it wasn't for those giant magnets and the rodent thing, you'd all be telling your grandkids you knew me... still... there's always this year's Thoughtbubble  ;)
DDT did a job on me

Proudhuff

With the lockdown, I'm fully expecting some wonderful 2000as related book nooks, you know those gaming figures should make it pretty straight forward, ne pas?
DDT did a job on me