Main Menu

Say it ain't so!

Started by Bagley, 26 February, 2015, 12:54:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bagley

I'm a late thirties old-time reader (mostly stuff from the mid to late 80s and circa late 1991 to late 1995), looking to either jump back in or just get myself up-to-date with what's been going on since the Stallone movie.

I'm nearing the end of my studies towards a BA degree in Visual Communication and am particularly looking forward to entering the next few monthly art competitions here as my entries count towards my final major study.

Favourite characters of mine include the ABC Warriors, The Angel Gang, Finn, Judge Dredd, Luke Kirby, and Vector 13 (I understand Finn, Kirby and Vector 13 are no more - say it ain't so!)

So, hello from me and see you on the boards!

NapalmKev

Quote from: Bagley on 26 February, 2015, 12:54:35 PM

Favourite characters of mine include the ABC Warriors, The Angel Gang, Finn, Judge Dredd, Luke Kirby, and Vector 13 (I understand Finn, Kirby and Vector 13 are no more - say it ain't so!)

All three strips are long gone. Shame really, all of them were good.

Anyway, Hello and welcome.

Cheers
"Where once you fought to stop the trap from closing...Now you lay the bait!"

Dandontdare

well Luke Kirby was one of those stories that was supposedly "to be continued" but that was 20 years ago, so I think we can give up on that ever happening!

welcome aboard!

Colin YNWA

Welcome on board - looking forward to seeing what you have for the art competition. Always good to hear that the already wonderful comp is going to be added to.

Have fun.

IndigoPrime

Well, Vector 13 was really just Future Shocks and Terror Tales wearing an X-Files Hallowe'en mask, so they're still in the prog, just in their original form. Finn? I always saw him as a modern-day take on Sláine, and Sláine's really back on form again. Pa Angel's currently rocking it in the Megazine, courtesy of Rennie.

As for Luke Kirby, that's mired in a kind of ownership hell that means it'll almost certainly never return or be reprinted. Such a pity, because it was a really strong strip, and one of the only things McKenzie wrote that really resonated with me.

ZenArcade

Finn and Vector 13 what! When there was good stuff like Junker floating about back then?? Anyhow welcome on to the site and enjoy. Z
Ed is dead, baby Ed is...Ed is dead

Bagley

Thanks for the warm welcomes!  :)

I've had a quick look through the 2000 AD Prog Zone and I think it was prog 712 (dated 5th January, 1991, with a Rogue Trooper cover) that had me return to reading regularly for a second time. That said though, I do remember really enjoying Hewligan's Haircut by Jamie Hewlett and Peter Milligan, which finished a few progs before. I imagine I probably read it for free, standing in WH Smiths on a Saturday morning while my parents went in shops that I didn't consider cool to be seen in.

I've no memory of Junker, I'm afraid, and it's disappointing to hear Luke Kirby's in development hell.

Maniac 6, The Clown, and The Creep - are they relevant today?

ZenArcade

No, none would be relevant now. The prog took a bit of a sea change when Rebellion took over. They may be floating about as reprints in the Meg?. Z

Bagley

I see. So, which characters post-Rebellion would you suggest I consider looking into to get up to speed? Major stories too, if it's not too much trouble. Volt was Chief Judge when I last read 2000 AD.

TordelBack

Quote from: IndigoPrime on 26 February, 2015, 02:20:11 PM
As for Luke Kirby, that's mired in a kind of ownership hell that means it'll almost certainly never return or be reprinted. Such a pity, because it was a really strong strip, and one of the only things McKenzie wrote that really resonated with me.

One day Alan is going to realise he could make a few quid out of Luke Kirby if he swallowed his pride, then who knows?  I'd certainly buy a nice hardback collection.  In such a hypothetical glasnost, I wonder would Ridgway (non-digital edition) or even the great Steve Parkhouse be up for drawing new stories?  Neither man is a spring chicken (who is these days), but both are still beavering away.  If they weren't interested, who would we like for a substitute?  Bagwell seems the obvious choice for me, but what do other wiser heads think?

ZenArcade

Bagley in one word:SHAKARA!!!! It is literally mindblowing. Others will give you their favourites. Z

Glimmer Rats is another scorcher btw.

IndigoPrime

I'd happily buy a collected edition of Luke Kirby too. I really enjoyed the entire run, and it's a crying shame it never continued.

Bagley

Yeah, a collection of Luke Kirby's adventures is something I'd want to own. It was such a great series so here's hoping!

Quote from: ZenArcade on 28 February, 2015, 05:17:47 PM
Bagley in one word:SHAKARA!!!! It is literally mindblowing. Others will give you their favourites. Z

Glimmer Rats is another scorcher btw.

Thanks for the recommendations, Z. I've read the synopses for both and will definitely give them a try. Shakara in particular is something I think I'd enjoy.

ZenArcade

It ran for over 10 years and is insanely inventive, sad, funny and so much else. Robbie Morrison was the writer and has produced some of the best material printed in 2000Ad over the past 20 years; Henry Flint (an artist who was really only starting off when you stopped reading) just rules the Universe as far as I'm concerned based on his Shakara work. He did some amazing Dredds last year: Titan being a particular favourite of mine. He and the excellentl Rob Williams (writer) are back with the sequel this year and it is one I'm definetly waiting for.
Glimmer Rats is my kinda thing a dark, hopeless story of a distopian state using dissidents as gunfodder in a war in what is essentially hell. The artwork by Mark Harrison is not to everyone's taste, but to me it is second to none. The writer Gordon Rennie produces some amazing work for the prog, the recent Jaegir being a fine example and a real highlight of last year. His current story Angelic in the Megazine is perfectly indicative of his skills. He appears regularly on the forum and you are literally a nobody untill he either tells you to fuck off or calls you a prick (a badge of honour I'm told).
Soooo that's my two bits. Z

Bagley

Quote from: ZenArcade on 28 February, 2015, 10:18:08 PM
It ran for over 10 years and is insanely inventive, sad, funny and so much else.

Quick question for you, Z:

I've been looking to buy Shakara: The Avenger and Shakara: The Destroyer. Would these two make up the entire series and, if not, is there a complete collection available?