Main Menu

Last movie watched...

Started by SmallBlueThing, 04 February, 2011, 12:40:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

pictsy

Oooo, some excellent films.

I love Time Bandits alongside Baron Munchausen and especially Brazil.  Twelve Monkeys is a favourite as well.

Goaty

Yep 12 Monkeys still brilliant, that walk in empty city with zoo animals still so haunted.

Spikes

Quote from: pictsy on 11 October, 2013, 10:03:35 AM

I love Time Bandits alongside Baron Munchausen and especially Brazil.  Twelve Monkeys is a favourite as well.

Yes, you cant beat a bit o' Time Bandits. Have given thought to buying that new-ish Blu-Ray. Anyone who has it; Is it a recommended purchase?

Ghastly McNasty

Woochi
Big budget Korean film about wizards fighting rabbit faced goblins in the past and present.

Its got a few faults (a bit of crap CGI in places) but is brimming with new and intelligent ideas. Lies somewhere between Kung Fu Hustle and Crouching Tiger. I loved it.

Hawkmumbler

Quote from: Judge Jack on 11 October, 2013, 10:20:00 AM

Yes, you cant beat a bit o' Time Bandits. Have given thought to buying that new-ish Blu-Ray. Anyone who has it; Is it a recommended purchase?
Yes. Yes yes yes. Its a stunning package and well worth a tenner.

Colin YNWA

Uh now I've not seen Brazil for ages (on my Lovefilm list) but its one of these films that I worry if and when I see it again it can't meet up with my memories of it as I recall it being truly magnificent.

Richmond Clements

Quote from: Proteus4 on 11 October, 2013, 09:49:03 AM
Quote from: Richmond Clements on 11 October, 2013, 01:26:44 AM
Quote from: Proteus4 on 11 October, 2013, 12:55:19 AM
prior to seeing 12 monkeys, which i was really looking forward to, i was out with a group of friends.  I said "hey I'm going to see 12 monkeys tomorrow night, I'm really excited about it" (or something like that).

Andrew Hamilton, for he should be named and shamed, said "oh yeah, i saw that a few nights ago.  I didn't really like it.  I'm not sure what it was about.  I mean, at the start of the film bruce willis is having like a memory of something he saw and at the end of the film [spoiler]he realises he saw himself as an adult getting shot when he was a kid.[/spoiler] I don't think that's a spoiler.  Is that a spoiler? anyway, i didn't get it."

Yeah, that was actually a big spoiler mate. thanks
dave

Yeah, But I clocked that from the opening scene, so it wasn't much of a twist for me...

ooh, get you!

Heh... I've read too many Future Shocks...

JOE SOAP

Society, debuts on blu-ray in Germany.

Like its thematically similar and also under-rated brother, They Live (1988), it's still as brilliant and as mad as it was in 1989. There was definitely something in the air back in late 80's California.

Hawkmumbler

Its due in the UK very soon from Second Sight also.

Frank

It's a classic - do I really need to tell you which was my favourite scene as a kid? Why nobody seems willing or able to offer some social commentary or satire along with nasty thrills anymore is a mystery to me. It all went a bit wrong when everyone started trying to shoehorn didactic ecological messages into films like Godzilla (1998) and Saturday morning cartoons.

JamesC

Quote from: JOE SOAP on 11 October, 2013, 05:07:46 PM

Society, debuts on blu-ray in Germany.

Like its thematically similar and also under-rated brother, They Live (1988), it's still as brilliant and as mad as it was in 1989. There was definitely something in the air back in late 80's California.

Been on my Lovefilm list for ages in the hope that it'll eventually get a release.

shaolin_monkey

I adore They Live - one of Carpenter's best, if you ask me.  What's ironic is that some of the messages you couldn't see on billboards and clothes without those sunglasses are now appearing on clothing in the present day, in the same bold type - words like 'OBEY' etc.  The snake just keeps eating itself.

Proteus4

Quote from: Richmond Clements on 11 October, 2013, 03:06:25 PM
Quote from: Proteus4 on 11 October, 2013, 09:49:03 AM
Quote from: Richmond Clements on 11 October, 2013, 01:26:44 AM
Quote from: Proteus4 on 11 October, 2013, 12:55:19 AM
prior to seeing 12 monkeys, which i was really looking forward to, i was out with a group of friends.  I said "hey I'm going to see 12 monkeys tomorrow night, I'm really excited about it" (or something like that).

Andrew Hamilton, for he should be named and shamed, said "oh yeah, i saw that a few nights ago.  I didn't really like it.  I'm not sure what it was about.  I mean, at the start of the film bruce willis is having like a memory of something he saw and at the end of the film [spoiler]he realises he saw himself as an adult getting shot when he was a kid.[/spoiler] I don't think that's a spoiler.  Is that a spoiler? anyway, i didn't get it."

Yeah, that was actually a big spoiler mate. thanks
dave

Yeah, But I clocked that from the opening scene, so it wasn't much of a twist for me...

ooh, get you!

Heh... I've read too many Future Shocks...

lol
My opinion is not to be trusted: I think Last Action Hero is AWESOME. And What Women Want.

GrinningChimera

Dark City : The Directors Cut (blu-ray) I have had this on dvd for some time but when I saw the directors cut blu-ray for 10 dollars I really couldn't say no. For anyone who hasn't seen it, I highly recommend it. I guess you would say it has a steampunk/noir/dystopian/alternate past kind of vibe about it.

From memory, there is about 10-15 minutes extra in the directors cut which I would say is the version to see. For anyone who has the dvd, it is definitely worth upgrading to blu-ray for the boost in picture/audio quality.   

Proteus4

just watched pacific rim.  disappointed.  Del Toro usually makes films much better than this.

regards
Dave
My opinion is not to be trusted: I think Last Action Hero is AWESOME. And What Women Want.