Main Menu

Last movie watched...

Started by SmallBlueThing, 04 February, 2011, 12:40:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dandontdare

I'm working my way through World on a Wire, 70s German TV sci fi by Rainer Werner Fassbinder, which I got for xmas. It's kinda like a proto- Matrix - a company has developed a virtual world populated by thousands of AI computer constructs, but odd things are beginning to happen.

I'm not sure how far through it I am (imdb tells me it's over 3 hours long) , but by God it's slow. Lots of scenes of businessmen having conversations or gazing into space, smoking and drinking furiously whilst mysterious icy blonds stare at them in a cryptic manner. All the cops wear hats and trenchcoats,  and it has gratuitous boobies 'cos it's Fassbinder.

Theblazeuk

QuoteThis is a great one, littered with brief yet funny scenes like were you see Gomez filming talk-show host Sally to see if she has the contact details of the voodoo priests etc she is talking about. One of the last times I watched this, I Googled Amy Fisher following the mention of her in the violent killers trading card collection so, you know, I actually learned something new!

Actually that's the first one (The Addams Family), I watched that on Netflix on Saturday. Values is good but it's not on Netflix and isn't quite as good.

Also watched all the toy stories with my mrs who hasn't ever seen them. She loved them! As I knew she would.

Charlie boy

Quote from: Theblazeuk on 03 February, 2014, 10:35:33 AM
QuoteThis is a great one, littered with brief yet funny scenes like were you see Gomez filming talk-show host Sally to see if she has the contact details of the voodoo priests etc she is talking about. One of the last times I watched this, I Googled Amy Fisher following the mention of her in the violent killers trading card collection so, you know, I actually learned something new!
Actually that's the first one (The Addams Family), I watched that on Netflix on Saturday. Values is good but it's not on Netflix and isn't quite as good.
The trading card scene is when Pugsley and Wednesday have been forced to camp, it's the other social outcast whose cards have just been delivered. The two Addams children are sent to camp largely due to Fester's wife, who also has the family thrown out and it's when living in a motel that Gomez is calling the Sally show- it's Addams Family Values where all this takes place; Addams Family plot is just Fester's return.

Charlie boy

Actually no, the Sally scene is probably the 1st one seeing as they're thrown out in that one and it's Values that sees Fester leaving them. But the trading card scene is the sequel.

Recrewt

Quote from: SmallBlueThing on 03 February, 2014, 09:23:39 AM
DRAG ME TO HELL

On tv after Arachnophobia. I very much love this film, it being the only decent thing Sam Raimi has done since Evil Dead 2- but like Dagon, which I tried to watch last week and which I had previously been passionate about- I found it a drag this time. Maybe it's my mood, but it seemed so by-the-numbers this time. I turned off halfway through and went to Dave for Mock The Week. One to watch with the kids later, I think, as I feel it's still a genuinely great horror film and does actually deliver the scares without being in any way nasty or mean-spirited or grounded in any form of reality.

The thing that really annoyed me about this movie is that the lead girl was not really all that bad and put in a situation where she had to refuse the mortgage extension.  I mean, really - is that all it takes to be punished with eternal damnation?  Just couldn't get over how unfair it seemed. 

I know Sam Raimi said he did it on purpose so your average viewer could relate but it just seemed off.  Better to have her do something really bad like drink-driving and hit the old lady, in my opinion.

Link Prime

Quote from: Recrewt on 03 February, 2014, 01:28:19 PM

The thing that really annoyed me about this movie is that the lead girl was not really all that bad

Her acting was pretty bad!

I did enjoy that movie nevertheless, and picked it up for a fiver a few months ago.

Recrewt

Quote from: Link Prime on 03 February, 2014, 01:45:35 PM
Her acting was pretty bad!

:lol: I've seen plenty of horror movies over the years so bad acting is not an issue!

Theblazeuk

It's black magic! A curse! The Devil may bring down even the righteous.

Frank

Quote from: Recrewt on 03 February, 2014, 01:28:19 PM
The thing that really annoyed me about this movie is that the lead girl was not really all that bad and put in a situation where she had to refuse the mortgage extension.  I mean, really - is that all it takes to be punished with eternal damnation?  Just couldn't get over how unfair it seemed. 

Tell that to The Legendary Shark.

Frank

Quote from: Emp on 02 February, 2014, 10:04:14 PM
Lone Survivor - As for the montage of those who died, I managed to watch a mere 1 minute 15 seconds before deciding that I would rather be shot myself than watch any more. It's not that I don't commiserate with the families of the soldiers that died, it's just that that seems to be more about propoganda and pulling on the heartstrings of patriotism

That's definitely how it's been received by right wing elements in the US (which is why I was interested in watching it), but I didn't read it as saying anything particularly positive about the mission, the war, or the US military. It's certainly laudatory towards the bravery of the individuals involved, but I defy anyone to make a film about real people risking their lives and not be awed and humbled by whatever it is in them that means they can do that kind of thing and we can't.

You could argue that the memory of the real people who lost their lives in the incident upon which the film is based is cheapened by association with what is - as Pro Bear points out - nothing more than a perfunctory and typically silly action movie, but it's the wretched sound of Peter Gabriel straining as he squeezes out a steaming turd of a vocal over the medals on the chests of the dead (and Bowie's Heroes) which does that, in my opinion.

Sideshow Bob

Quote from: sauchie on 03 February, 2014, 06:14:56 PM
the wretched sound of Peter Gabriel straining as he squeezes out a steaming turd of a vocal over the medals on the chests of the dead (and Bowie's Heroes) which does that, in my opinion.

Haven't seen this yet ( and probably will not bother to either ) but thanks to Sauchie for the wonderful,  and absolutely 'spot on' description of Peter Gabriels' turgid vocals.....Don't know what emotion he was trying to convey here but to be honest, its just quite simply,  dreadful !!..............
Cheers
" This is absolutely NO PLACE for a lover of Food, Fine Wine and the Librettos of RODGERS and HAMMERSTEIN "......Devlin Waugh.

My Comic Art Fans Gallery :  http://www.comicartfans.com/GalleryDetail.asp?GCat=91890

GrinningChimera

New World

Excellent Korean gangster flick. Not much violence (at least not as much as I expected) but the story was bloody fantastic! With enough twists and turns to keep anyone guessing. Highly recommended.

also

Adrenaline Rush 3D (also known in some markets as Quick)

Motorcycle courier and his ex girlfriend follow the demands of a maniac or get blown up. A bit like Speed but on a bike. Only watched it in 2d but it was pretty good. Silly action movie that doesn't take itself seriously. Worth a rental.

Devons Daddy

Gravity
damn fine movie!!

filmed in the UK i heard recently, Saw it only last night.
could this SCI-FI /Space movie win the  oscar??
NO
it won't i know, but none the less great movie.
I AM VERY BUSY!
PJ Maybe and I use the same dictionary, live with it.

NO 2000ad no life!

Theblazeuk

Quote from: Charlie boy on 03 February, 2014, 11:35:55 AM
Actually no, the Sally scene is probably the 1st one seeing as they're thrown out in that one and it's Values that sees Fester leaving them. But the trading card scene is the sequel.

Yup, that's what I'm saying.

HdE

Feeling the need for light hearted silliness, I watched Back To The Future part 3 last night.

Still loads of fun! And, for me, the high point of the entire series.
Check out my DA page! Point! Laugh!
http://hde2009.deviantart.com/