Main Menu

An idea for the site Wake

Started by Dean, 07 June, 2002, 05:58:16 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dean

On the message index page it shows the number of posts responding to a topic. I would be interested to see the number of people who have looked at a thread. I know this can be done as it appears on other message boards.

Would anyone else be interested or am I just a sad beancounter.

Wake

Technically it would be easy to keep a record of the number of times each thread has been read, though multiple reads by the same person would increase the counter...it's definitely not worth recording who has read each thread.

The number of replies is already a measure of how popular a thread is. Do people really want to see the number of looks as well?

Wake

Oddboy

Better set your phaser to stun.

ukdane

No, but I would like them organised by last post- so that the most recent/popular are at the top and therefore most clearly visible.
(But I've asked for this before;))
Cheers

-Daney

Art

Wake

I just worked out in my mind how to do this, and when I came to the coding discovered I'd already used the same solution when I created the current index page.

So, in fact I only had to change one word in the code.

Sorry I didn't do this earlier then.

Wake

Leigh S

Huzzah!

This is much better for keeping threads going...though perhaps that can be a bad thing sometimes, right?

paulvonscott

Yeah, I kinda like the organic way things drift away from us.  But I'll give it a go.

christophe

Dear Wake,

Thank you. This is excellent.

C.

ukdane

suppose there is only one thing to say to that then....
... 'Word up!'
Cheers

-Daney

Tiplodocus

I have a terrible feeling that some people will use this facility to keep their name on the top of the board.  I'm thinking of people who might consistently reply to their own posts two or three times.

And then posts again with "Sorry for the typos" that nobody had cared about.

But hye, my name popped up at lunchtime so I'm chuffed....

Be excellent to each other. And party on!

paulvonscott

I have to say, even after a day, I think this is crap.

Wake

Why?

I can always add a bookmarkable link to a 'by thread' version, if more than 1 person wants one.

Wake

ukdane

This is what is known in 'the game' as 'Bumping' it should be regulated, so that if someone bumps their messages without due reason, they get thrown off- simple.
So, who want's to police the message boards then?
Cheers

-Daney

ukdane

Now all we need are little icons of Tharg's head (or a Rigillean Hotshot), for threads which have had over 25 replies, to indicate that they are smokin'!
Cheers

-Daney