Main Menu

Cinebooks

Started by Colin YNWA, 28 January, 2012, 09:23:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Colin YNWA

Quote from: SmallBlueThing(Reborn) on 04 August, 2021, 02:14:27 PM
I've got Islandia vol.1 coming in the post,...

Its great.

Quote from: SmallBlueThing(Reborn) on 04 August, 2021, 02:14:27 PM
... It's just a shame Cinebook's translation is written in awkward dialogue lacking any elegance. I'm assuming the original language version (as well as being uncensored) is better....

Yeah the translation are a bit flat and ackward at times. Especially when you think of books like Asterix and the translation (which I imagine has a MUCH bigger budget!) there.

There are also art changes to remove nudity which can be a little clumsy at times.

broodblik

I am a big fan off the Blake & Mortimer series.
When I die, I want to die like my grandfather who died peacefully in his sleep. Not screaming like all the passengers in his car.

Old age is the Lord's way of telling us to step aside for something new. Death's in case we didn't take the hint.

Colin YNWA

Quote from: broodblik on 04 August, 2021, 02:41:34 PM

Interestingly that's one of the few I've struggled with. I also didn't get on with IR$ and Crusader. Other than those the one's I've read have all been winners.

broodblik

Quote from: Colin YNWA on 04 August, 2021, 02:55:05 PM

Interestingly that's one of the few I've struggled with. I also didn't get on with IR$ and Crusader. Other than those the one's I've read have all been winners.

I think one off the biggest reasons is that the art reminds me of Tintin. Originally Edgar P. Jacobs worked in the Tintin studio hence the likeness.
When I die, I want to die like my grandfather who died peacefully in his sleep. Not screaming like all the passengers in his car.

Old age is the Lord's way of telling us to step aside for something new. Death's in case we didn't take the hint.

The Mind of Wolfie Smith

the 5 book 'kenya' epic is truly awe-inspiring ...
what a magnificent publisher.

Timothy

Another Blake and Mortimer fan here. The Jacobs stories are a bit hit and miss plot wise, but the art is superb. The later follow-on stories have got some great writing that is true to the tone of the originals but pleasantly modernised. A personal favourite is The Francis Blake Affair.

broodblik

Mine is The Secret of the Swordfish, I just loved the scope of the whole thing but The Francis Blake Affair was pretty good as well.

Colin YNWA

Just read the whole of Red Baron (had only read the first two volumes before now, and it really is a masterpiece. In some ways it does indulge the art a little and the story could feel slight for the three volumes it appears over. However the art is astonish and the use of the pages masterful, as thought he story is slight the atmosphere and dark tension is supreme.

And the art. wow. just WOW. Its stunning. The closest comparison I can think of is George Pratt (who interestingly enough did an Enemy Ace comic for DC), but it cleaner, while not losing a drop of the energy.

Its an absolute wonderful comic and I can't recommend it enough.

Dark Jimbo

Quote from: Colin YNWA on 23 September, 2021, 09:24:03 PM
Just read the whole of Red Baron...  It's an absolute wonderful comic and I can't recommend it enough.

COR! Just had a Google, and that does indeed look gorgeous. Thanks for the heads up, Colin. 👍
@jamesfeistdraws

Colin YNWA

Next up Kenya - another story from Leo (of Aldebaron fame), this time teamed up with Rodolphe. A story of incredible beast in Africa, mysterious lights in the sky and international espionage. For all that its still a surpirsingly considered and steady read. Largely avoiding meladrama and instead focusing on character and a building mystery. It goes cover a great deal of ground and leaves a nice open ending after Book 5 (leading into Nambia I believe).

Leo's art can be a little stiff at times but does convey moments of mood and emotion really well, clear precise line and storytelling. Again there are some wonderful creature design and wrapped all together this is another fantastic read.

Hawkmumbler

I really must get around to actually reading NEMIBIA as I enjoyed Kenya a few years back. Hoping to pick up a few things at the Cinebooks table at TB next month, been a hot few years since I had the pleasure.

Colin YNWA

Quote from: Hawkmumbler on 14 October, 2021, 08:56:39 AM
I really must get around to actually reading NEMIBIA as I enjoyed Kenya a few years back. Hoping to pick up a few things at the Cinebooks table at TB next month, been a hot few years since I had the pleasure.

Yeah I bought a load during the first lockdown as they were still going on their webshop and wanted to support them but I'm still behind on a number of title and really need to catch up. Still haven't got off my arse to sort TB but this would be a good excuse to get there and, hopefully, take advantage of the deals they normally have at cons.

Proudhuff

i really went off these as the text was so badly written, it read like it was done by machine. Also simple things like English people in the 50s talking about 'the sidewalk'.
DDT did a job on me