Main Menu

The Vigilant Legacy.

Started by Magnetica, 18 August, 2019, 10:28:24 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mardroid

I enjoyed this quite a bit, and it was an improvement on the first issue. I liked that too, but found it rather disjointed and a bit hard to follow. Also apart from The Leopard, (and the Nazi villain who enlarges stuff, to a lesser extent. Oh and that block of flats with the quirky computer) I wasn't well acquainted with the other characters so that threw me a bit.

This one had some of those issues, but was a much smoother easier read overall. It was also nice to see a bit of Billy's home life, [spoiler]and it was an interesting and sad little twist that he's now taking care of his uncle, his aunt now having passed on. And rather than being depicted as just a selfish a-hole, the uncle Charlie is actually quite a sad figure here.[/spoiler]

Overall, good stuff. I'd also like to see this a bit more frequently, maybe duo or tri-monthly, if monthly is too frequent to pull off. I'd also like to see more strips based on the individual characters. This need not be done in separate comics, although I wouldn't mind that either.

Robin Low

Quote from: Mardroid on 26 August, 2019, 03:36:30 AMIt was also nice to see a bit of Billy's home life, [spoiler]and it was an interesting and sad little twist that he's now taking care of his uncle, his aunt now having passed on. And rather than being depicted as just a selfish a-hole, the uncle Charlie is actually quite a sad figure here.[/spoiler]

I read the comic yesterday and was coming here to post pretty much exactly that. Having recently read the second Lime Street collection I found it surprisingly moving. Amazing what a good writer can do with six panels.

QuoteOverall, good stuff. I'd also like to see this a bit more frequently, maybe duo or tri-monthly, if monthly is too frequent to pull off. I'd also like to see more strips based on the individual characters. This need not be done in separate comics, although I wouldn't mind that either.

I'd be quite happy every six months, but I'll settle for once a year (even though this runs the kind of risks being discussed about the Megazine elsewhere). I like the way The Vigilant has been put together and I'd hate to see it dropped because it becomes impractical or inconvenient. As with this issue, a core story and one or two supporting ones would be nice.

It also makes me wish that even more of the reprints of older stories were as large hardbacks.

Regards,

Robin

DrJomster

I'm going to echo the above comments, coming to this slightly late. A good step forward from last year. Still a little bit on the dense side but far less so than the first book. I'd like to see more as a few more issues like this would really help re-establish a really large roster of characters. Could it go quarterly maybe? Or perhaps termly like school terms. That could also work well for Tammy/Jinny too, not to mention Misty/Scream. I'd subscribe to a quarterly subscription package to all three in a heartbeat.
The hippo has wisdom, respect the hippo.

Robin Low

Quote from: DrJomster on 01 September, 2019, 10:15:08 PMI'd like to see more as a few more issues like this would really help re-establish a really large roster of characters. Could it go quarterly maybe? Or perhaps termly like school terms.

Timed for release around the start of each major school holiday, perhaps?

Regards,

Robin