Main Menu

Fantasy sequel Thread.

Started by darnmarr, 27 June, 2012, 05:48:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

darnmarr

Jumping the gun somewhat, I know but:
IF there were to be a sequel/franchise of unlimited budget, that you, dear thread-peruser had creative control over...what way would you like to see it go?

Personally (and bear in mind this is pure fantasy), I'd like to see an anarchic approach, with different actors/directors and writers,tweaking the costume and re-inventing JD and mega city every time: perhaps a Brendan McCarthy instalment done via roto-scope ( a la 'A Scanner Darkly') for one film, a Terry Gilliam 'Brazil' dystopia, the next: Storywise, I'd want something from the point of view of Marlon Shakespeare,America Jara or Beeny Bennet, something 'street-level' looking up.

What ideas do you guys have?

Danbo

I've mentioned this before so sorry if I bore ya but I would like the following.

Dredd 2.

Fink,but greatly expanded upon,lots of flashbacks detailing how Dredd took on the Angle Gang then the other half of the film have Fink extract his revenge.The finale in Resyk would look crazy on the big screen.
Give fink the Seven victim treatment.
http://jaymckinnon.com/blog/wp-content/uploads/2011/05/sloth-seven-movie-victim.jpg

Dredd 3.

A bastard cross between Midnight Surfer/America and Total war.Hover boards a must,no 'real world' excuses.
Basically Super Surf seven with the Total war nukes going off,Dredd must 'catch' Chopper because he's his only lead to the Total War cell's.Chop can give the viewer the different point of view whilst flipping to Dredds point and his unrelenting 'war on terror' angle....or something.

Money no object. Block War/Apocalypse War directed by Ridley Scott in Black Hawk mode...hardcore as fek.
Let the Dragon ride again on the winds of time.

darnmarr

JOE SOAP

The purposeful introduction/set-up of Anderson and PSI-powers in the first film may have an arc yet to be disclosed. If Anderson's a popular character, she'll likely be back, whether as a vessel for Death or as an instrument for the most intimate/invasive surveillance of the Mega-citizens leading to Anderson's emotional upheaval; either is up for grabs.

Future arc inclusive of all the above elements and a big-fantasy-budget:

Involving Anderson in an aspect of the infiltration of the democratic uprising, including the inherent conflict of empathic emotions she would endure from emotionally surveilling the cits, maybe Anderson goes 'native'. Dredd concurrently proceeds with his merciless crackdown on the Dems as portrayed in Letter from a Democrat/Revolution.

As pure fan-tasy it could lead to either of these ultimate and outlandish conclusions: the Dead Man/Necropolis -including the return of Anderson- or Total War/America.

There's plenty of stories I'd love to see, including an Origins -never happen- type thing.

Otherwise I'd prefer if they just did new stories written for the screen.

blackmocco

Well, I'm all about the Angel Gang for a sequel. I feel like the core of the Judge Child saga could be stripped of its interstellar elements and blended with The Cursed Earth. Anderson's a PSI so easy to have her roped in. Introduce Hershey and Spikes Harvey Rotten, a land raider, genetically-resurrected tyrannosaurs, crazed war robots and send them off into the wasteland. Kill everything, blow everything up. Dredd lurching through a sandstorm near death. Fucking awesome.

After that, still can't see the Dark Judges working in this take but has to be some take on Block Mania/Total War after that. Throw Fink into the mix, as stated above.
"...and it was here in this blighted place, he learned to live again."

www.BLACKMOCCO.com
www.BLACKMOCCO.blogspot.com

darnmarr

Joe:
Anderson's definately a great character to have included in 'DREDD' in terms of audience-empathy (visible face)and 'developability' (coz lets face it,-we don't want Joe to go on any odyssey of self-discovery anytime soon), I'd completely agree that tailor-made stories for the films would be the way to go rather than  trying to faithfully reproduce anything from the strip: but there are elements, like ' DanboJohnJ' suggestion of 'Resyk' that I reckon would workvery well cinematically, and would love to see incorporated.
Blackmocco
I love the gang and if the '95 JD had any saving grace, it showed how the great Mean Machine can really work as a design: but Spikes Harvey Rotten kinda belongs to the spirit of '78 to me (personally...).

radiator

I'd combine elements of The Day the Law Died and Judge Death Lives. Insane head of SJS with latent psychic abilities (perhaps awakened after a horrific, disfiguring injury) assassinates the Chief Judge and assumes control of Justice Department. With the aid of his apparent supernatural abilities and invulnerability, he styles himself 'Judge Death' (the SJS uniforms with their skull emblems becoming the standard uniform of his lieutenants the 'Dark Judges') and begins to institute increasingly harsh laws until the slums are basically turned into concentration camps. A small band of judges - including Dredd and Anderson - rebel and lead the fightback, with the citizens caught in the crossfire.

I'd also like to see a take on the 'Democracy' arc though it would probably be problematic to put on screen - perhaps a blend of the human drama of America with the high-stakes, ticking-clock, huge scale action of Total War - a tense thriller where the audience's sympathies constantly flit between the judges and the terrorists. The ambiguous morality of Dredd is something I'd really like to see explored on film.

Fisticuffs

Surely this should be the 'Fantasy Sequel Thredd'...      ::)

JOE SOAP

Quote from: radiator on 27 June, 2012, 08:34:07 PM
I'd combine elements of The Day the Law Died and Judge Death Lives. Insane head of SJS with latent psychic abilities (perhaps awakened after a horrific, disfiguring injury) assassinates the Chief Judge and assumes control of Justice Department. With the aid of his apparent supernatural abilities and invulnerability, he styles himself 'Judge Death' (the SJS uniforms with their skull emblems becoming the standard uniform of his lieutenants the 'Dark Judges') and begins to institute increasingly harsh laws until the slums are basically turned into concentration camps. A small band of judges - including Dredd and Anderson - rebel and lead the fightback, with the citizens caught in the crossfire.

If it's that convoluted just to get Death in and make believable, why bother? Just do a different story or go balls-out with a slightly altered Judge Death story.

Quote from: radiator on 27 June, 2012, 08:34:07 PM

I'd also like to see a take on the 'Democracy' arc though it would probably be problematic to put on screen - perhaps a blend of the human drama of America with the high-stakes, ticking-clock, huge scale action of Total War - a tense thriller where the audience's sympathies constantly flit between the judges and the terrorists. The ambiguous morality of Dredd is something I'd really like to see explored on film.

There are several ways to do this and for it not to be a complete bastardisation of the stories.

JOE SOAP

Quote from: Fisticuffs on 27 June, 2012, 08:36:37 PM
Surely this should be the 'Fantasy Sequel Thredd'...      ::)

Can't use, that domain's been taken for the second sequel after Twedd.

Beeks

I'd like to see a Brit-Cit crossover..incorporating Armitage coming over to the Meg to investigate the death of a Wally Squad member..we could see Frank..Zero..and Brit-Cit Judges all in one film

Sex
"We keep on being told that religion, whatever its imperfections, at least instills morality. On every side, there is conclusive evidence that the contrary is the case and that faith causes people to be more mean, more selfish, and perhaps above all, more stupid." ― Christopher Hitchens

Grimmyx22

While we're in full fantasy mode, how about a prequel? Booths election rigging and Fargos rise and fall-a'la 'origins'? Ive always been fascinated by the untold story of the beginnings of MC1, and 'Origins' didn't really satisfy my curiosity as much as i would have liked. But a Young Dredd? Could it work? Maybe as a flashback segment to flesh out Dredds past a little?

radiator

QuoteIf it's that convoluted just to get Death in and make believable, why bother? Just do a different story or go balls-out with a slightly altered Judge Death story.

Never understood this mentality. I Like Judge Death, but his origin story sucks. Seeing as this movie Dredd is deviating quite heavily from the source material, why not an entirely fresh take on Judge Death? I'd be very interested to see what Garland would do with the character.

Beeks

What about Call Me Kenneth!!!!  :o
"We keep on being told that religion, whatever its imperfections, at least instills morality. On every side, there is conclusive evidence that the contrary is the case and that faith causes people to be more mean, more selfish, and perhaps above all, more stupid." ― Christopher Hitchens

JOE SOAP

Quote from: radiator on 27 June, 2012, 08:51:15 PM

Never understood this mentality. I Like Judge Death, but his origin story sucks. Seeing as this movie Dredd is deviating quite heavily from the source material, why not an entirely fresh take on Judge Death? I'd be very interested to see what Garland would do with the character.

I wouldn't say Dredd is deviating heavily, the characters aren't altered, the city is still pretty much Mega; it's just ignoring most of what it doesn't need to explain rather than being contradictory.

Since Death is a fairly fantastical character either way, why does where he originate from need changing? Best to do something else than change it substantially just to fit some vague verite idea.