Main Menu

Recent posts

Announcements / Re: 2000 AD - The Ultimate Col...
Last post by JohnW - Today at 11:51:17 AM
Quote from: Le Fink on Today at 11:10:32 AMBit dark, JW

Apologies – I got carried away. I forgot that you were ill and delicate and thus less likely to appreciate misplaced frivolity.
It is highly unlikely that Hachette warehouse staff are even now surrounding your house with crudely fashioned weapons in their hands.
Highly unlikely.
Rest easy and get well soon.
General / Re: Hivemind query: Name that ...
Last post by Rara Avis - Today at 11:48:45 AM
I really just don't know any more, it must the German one.

Thanks Eamonn
Film & TV / Re: Current TV Boxset Addictio...
Last post by Rara Avis - Today at 11:37:25 AM
Also George has been involved in another tv show called Dark Winds that is excellent and well worth checking out.
Film & TV / Re: Current TV Boxset Addictio...
Last post by Rara Avis - Today at 11:36:36 AM
I was one of those fans and I hated that storyline because there wasn't enough foreshadowing to justify her character arc turning like that. She spent 8 seasons up to that point trying to be good leader / ruler and her just snapping like that didn't make sense for her character or her character arc.

But there was loads of stuff that was just awful; Jamie and Brienne, Jamie going back to Cersei, everyone teleporting all over Westeros to be wherever they were required at that time, Tyrion's mental decline going from one of the smartest characters to the most stupid who can only make cock jokes, the decision to put the armies of the living IN FRONT of the walls of Winterfell in the last battle, the Dothraki getting wiped out but managing to respawn for the battle at Kings Landing, Jon being reduced to a one line character ("I dunt wan it") for the last season, omg the plot armour - we see so many characters get swarmed by the dead at the last battle and then in the next scene they're fine.

I could go on ..

Dany wasn't my favourite character and I could have handled her burning the city to the ground if it had been done in such a way that made sense narratively.

And the pie thing : https://www.sparknotes.com/shakespeare/titus/summary/

It's also mentioned in the books as a fable from Westerosi times past.

Quote from: Funt Solo on 16 March, 2024, 06:57:15 PMMy GoT cod-psychology theory is that you could've ended that season almost any way at all, and the audience reaction would've been similar. Folk were just upset that it was ending. (I wasn't as invested once GRRM wasn't the author.)

There were Dani worshippers that couldn't handle the "my favorite is a baddy now" aspect, for sure.

Baking close relatives into pies and serving them to your enemy seemed a little convoluted, as assassinations go. I think that was a strong sign that George wasn't in the writers' room anymore. He, having gained access to all the pies he could ever want, doesn't see the need, or has lost the ability, to finish his opus. We're left with this odd, mixed-media saga.
Film & TV / Re: Last movie watched...
Last post by Rara Avis - Today at 11:16:36 AM
I've seen quite a few good movies lately

1. Late night with the Devil
2. Immaculate
3. That Omen prequel (pretty good for what it is).
4. Godzilla Minus One
5, Rye Lane
6. Fallen Leaves
7. Monster (Korea, 2023)
8. Civil War

Also from Korea (ish) Past Lives and Minari.

Last post by Le Fink - Today at 11:10:32 AM
Quote from: JohnW on 11 May, 2024, 06:44:34 PMThe torn pages were a warning.
These people hate you and they have your address.

Bit dark, JW

But noted
Prog / Re: Prog 2381: A grizzly fate
Last post by Le Fink - Today at 11:09:20 AM
Quote from: Tjm86 on Today at 07:23:04 AMGiven these limitations, his culpability is certainly highly questionable.

Thanks for the in-depth analysis! I feel the same way, hence the question. I'm not sure what the alternative was to nuking East-Meg 1, other than surrendering MC-1. And his recommendation to get boots on the ground to investigate prior to DoC was overruled.
Prog / Re: Prog 2382: Beware Iron Tee...
Last post by IndigoPrime - Today at 10:37:23 AM
Yes, the alien nature of Proteus Vex makes it something special. It has imagination and strange elements. These beings aren't just humans slightly reworked. In 2000 AD terms, perhaps Shakara is the closest strip in that regard. Although Vex is much deeper.

And I'd second the art. Honestly, I was disappointed when the artist changed and a little unconvinced by the second run. It just didn't quite feel right. But now I can't imagine this being illustrated by anyone else. Lynch's art in this strip has evolved to become nothing short of superb. Properly top-tier stuff. 
Film & TV / Re: New Doctor Who series
Last post by nxylas - Today at 09:51:21 AM
I think we just have to accept that Doctor Who is firmly for kids again, and put up or shut up.
Last post by Neil C - Today at 09:18:49 AM
National Title File confirms the extension to 200.