Main Menu

Comic book fan released into 2000 ad

Started by Phantom, 24 March, 2012, 08:07:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Phantom

Hey guys.
Looong time comic reader, starting with frew Australian phantom issue 933 in late 87 ?
Worked at a comic book chain, and also the Australian phantom fan club for awhile.

Read mostly cheap stuff I find or collections I purchase of eBay.

Valiant fan, big time. USA comic that is about to be relaunched.

A friend gave me a huge collection of new eagle.

Previously never liked the uk format of comics. With different stories mashed up. But now I really enjoy it. Got to complete the new eagle as missing a few, but read scream and toxic and enjoyed them both.

Recently purchased 250 2000ad comics for cheap, and stated to read. Some are filler stories, very basic but fun. Others have more thought and storyline effort put in. Have not read any new stuff. But will try it out.

I will be arround reading through threads for a year or two. I did that at valiant fans.com before I even signed in. But now less scared of the internet so jump straight in. My post often staight away.

Be warned, may ask some dead obvious questions.

Emperor

Welcome and it is good to hear that you've eventually found your way to the home of thrills, 2000AD can be an acquired taste if you've grown up on American comic books, but it is one worth acquiring ;)

And don't worry about obvious questions - they are my favourite because they are easy to answer ;)
if I went 'round saying I was an Emperor just because some moistened bint had lobbed a scimitar at me, they'd put me away!

Fractal Friction | Tumblr | Google+

Colin YNWA

Welcome aboard, have fun and ask away.

Spaceghost

Welcome Phantom! I'd definitely advise jumping into some of the new stuff. 2000 AD's as good now, if not better, than it's ever been.
Raised in the wild by sarcastic wolves.

Previously known as L*e B*tes. Sshhh, going undercover...

Aonghus

Welcome to the board, Phantom! Love the username by the way; not comics-inspired perchance?

O Lucky Stevie!

G'day cobber!

Quote from: Phantom on 24 March, 2012, 08:07:39 PM

Previously never liked the uk format of comics. With different stories mashed up.

For those who came in late, with the larger format UK weeklies readily available through South Australian newagents it took Stevie until his 20s to give US stylee single story comics a go.

Grant Morrison if you're reading this Grant Morrison it's all your fault.
"We'll send all these nasty words to Aunt Jane. Don't you think that would be fun?"

Bat King

Blog
http://judgetutorsemple.wordpress.com/

Twitter
@chiropterarex

Phantom

Yeh the name is comic inspired.

Question one - So another movie? What are w talking about - the fan based one or Hollywood money spinner. I am a little con fussed. Or both.

Question two - if I dredd it up a bit and get the all the monthlies am I just getting reprints of the weeklies. This is answered in contact us details. But says 64 pages of reprints, is that on top of new stuff?

Question three - any artists or writers drop in on the forum?

Question four - the dead judge is fantastic figure to buy, any other super cool ones? Like dredd on his motorbike.?

Question five - rude - unpolite question - why would I buy full price when this site sells back issues so cheap? I could wait and buy runs at half the price or less by waiting a month. Seems counter productive on the sales fount.

Question six - do you guys met up? Once a year, or is their a convention just for 2000 ad. Where everyone sits and drinks tea discussing politics and contents of the sandwiches? Joke. But is their a convention for 2000 ad ?

Question 7 - how cool is the comic, and yuou say current stuff is better. I think comics have matured and become more sofistocated - cannot spell but you will get used to it. Spell check cannot even solve that one for me.  A lot of trash dumped on the market in the 90s, now they have to work harder to sell the same product. Your thoughts

Question 8. - what's the print run of 2000 ad?

Question  9. - anyone's local shop sell 2000 ad? I went to three and found nothing, newsagents before you ask, not just random shops. Is it specialty shops only now?

Question 10. - am I banned yet because of question 5

Definitely Not Mister Pops

In answer to#3, I think nearly everyone on this forum is a wannabee artist or writer. As for the pros, PJ Holden, Gordon Rennie and sometimes even the Great and powerful Carlos drops in
You may quote me on that.

SmallBlueThing

Someone will no doubt beat me to it, but...

Quote from: Phantom on 25 March, 2012, 05:30:38 PM

Question one - So another movie? What are w talking about - the fan based one or Hollywood money spinner. I am a little con fussed. Or both.

There's one (NOT Hollywood) movie coming out later this year- it's been shot in Cape Town, stars Karl Urban, and takes a medium budget sci-fi action approach. Think District Nine, but without aliens. The "fan based" one is JUDGE MINTY, is a short film and is approaching completion. Do you hear me Minty- I SAID IT'S APPROACHING COMPLETION! DON'T MAKE ME A LIAR!

QuoteQuestion two - if I dredd it up a bit and get the all the monthlies am I just getting reprints of the weeklies. This is answered in contact us details. But says 64 pages of reprints, is that on top of new stuff?

Currently, you get an extra 64 page reprint magazine WITH your Judge Dredd Megazine. The Meg itself is all new, and is a mixture of strip and feature.

QuoteQuestion six - do you guys met up? Once a year, or is their a convention just for 2000 ad. Where everyone sits and drinks tea discussing politics and contents of the sandwiches? Joke. But is their a convention for 2000 ad ?

People meet up as and when. There are many UK conventions throughout the year, but recently no dedicated 2000AD cons- unless you count the recent SFX weekender. In addition, Southerners meet up in London every now and again, where we go to pubs and comic shops. Northerners do their own thing too, whatever that may be. It sometimes involves Scotland.

QuoteQuestion 7 - how cool is the comic, and yuou say current stuff is better. I think comics have matured and become more sofistocated - cannot spell but you will get used to it. Spell check cannot even solve that one for me.  A lot of trash dumped on the market in the 90s, now they have to work harder to sell the same product. Your thoughts

Very cool. Comic sales are massively down across the board, since the heydays in the sixties/ seventies or eighties- but the comic is still very healthy, apparently. 2000AD is still the coolest comic to come out of the UK, like ever. As far as quality is concerned, by general concensus we are in a second golden age. Which means that the last few years have been as well received as the three months in the early eighties that most people sort of agree was pretty damn good. Arguments rage on as to which three months in the eighties, and exactly how many years the second golden age has been running. Personally, I say it's been on top form for the last ten years, give or take.

QuoteQuestion 8. - what's the print run of 2000 ad?

Six hundred million issues are sold weekly, across the solar system. Pluto is surprisingly densely populated, you know.

QuoteQuestion  9. - anyone's local shop sell 2000 ad? I went to three and found nothing, newsagents before you ask, not just random shops. Is it specialty shops only now?

No, it's in regular newsagents. It depends on your area and on perceived demand. Down here, I can walk into almost any newsagent in our town on 90,000 and pick up a copy. Elsewhere, that's not true. If you want to create a demand, go into your local newsagent and order a copy. They will get it for you. It's that simple. They may even get a couple for the shelves too, and they may sell to new or lapsed punters.

Welcome, and enjoy!

SBT

Emperor

Quote from: Phantom on 25 March, 2012, 05:30:38 PMQuestion three - any artists or writers drop in on the forum?

There are a few regulars and other occasional visitors:

http://forums.2000adonline.com/index.php?action=mlist;sort=id_group;start=0

Quote from: Phantom on 25 March, 2012, 05:30:38 PMQuestion five - rude - unpolite question - why would I buy full price when this site sells back issues so cheap? I could wait and buy runs at half the price or less by waiting a month. Seems counter productive on the sales fount.

I'm not 100% sure but I don't think back progs are always so cheap - there is currently a sale on. You'd need to wait a year to get those prices again and, once you are hooked on thrillpower, waiting the 4 days between subscribers getting their copy and it appearing in the shops can be difficult - waiting months would be agony!!
if I went 'round saying I was an Emperor just because some moistened bint had lobbed a scimitar at me, they'd put me away!

Fractal Friction | Tumblr | Google+

Onlyverysmall

In terms of Question 8, I've always been under the impression that Viz way outsells The Beano, The Dandy and 2000ad multiple times, hence those crappy Viz copiers years ago; Smut and Zit are all I remember.
   I thought Clint only lasted 2 issues when it disappeared from my local shelves, so was very surprised it was still going,and I think 2000ad has been very ill-served by newsstands over the last decade, if kids can't see it, they can't buy it. It is not available in many towns and that should be addressed.
   These questions might justify a new thread...

a chosen rider

The only place I see 2000 AD in my area is WHSmith, but it sells out pretty fast.  There are generally five or six copies when I get there on a Wednesday lunchtime, and never any left by the weekend.  The last two progs have both been gone by Thursday.
On Twitter @devilsfootsteps

Onlyverysmall

It's unavailable in Neath, I have to go to Swansea for it; similar must be true all over, yet expensive GB versions of Marvel comics are everywhere. Bah!

Aonghus

(Man, we really are going to need a new thread for this!)
A similar situation prevails in Dublin: One big newsagent always has 2000 AD (though at inflated prices: €5.50 or so for the Christmas Prog!) A few smaller ones tend to have it; One big comic shop has it always (as well as Jarjaz and a few backissues going back maybe a fortnight) and one small comic shop claims to get it but have always been sold out whenever I go in :/