Main Menu

2000 AD - The Ultimate Collection

Started by Molch-R, 27 February, 2017, 06:03:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

IndigoPrime

When it came through the letterbox, my immediate response was that I had no idea what it was. Then I felt what seemed to be books. Still didn't twig. My only thought was "what fucking idiot would send hardback books in this kind of packaging?" I guess in hindsight the answer should have been obvious.

Tomwe

No chance they're un-dinged I suppose?

IndigoPrime

I've had worse, but they're certainly not pristine.

Rately

Quote from: IndigoPrime on 30 January, 2020, 09:59:50 AM
When it came through the letterbox, my immediate response was that I had no idea what it was. Then I felt what seemed to be books. Still didn't twig. My only thought was "what fucking idiot would send hardback books in this kind of packaging?" I guess in hindsight the answer should have been obvious.

Grim. I really don't get Hachette at all. Top quality product, for the most part, horrendous after service and continued delays. They really want me to cancel and just buy them off the shelf!

leethomson

Quote from: The Monarch on 30 January, 2020, 02:21:24 AM
thats almost the entire run how much absalom are we getting in book 2?
Can't really see getting any Absalom to bulk up volume 2. Maybe Necronauts?

sintec

Quote from: leethomson on 30 January, 2020, 11:20:48 AM

Pretty sure it was confirmed sometime back that we'd be getting some Absalom stories to round out the 2nd cabs book - this is the best I can find now and I can't be arsed to try and trawl the whingefest that is the FB group to see if it was ever mentioned there.

Quote from: Jim_Campbell on 09 August, 2017, 07:03:44 PM
Matt very specifically said the complete Nikolai Dante. Also, a complete collection of Cabballistics, with a bit of Absalom thrown in to round out the page count. Plus, a complete collection of the Abnett/Harrison Durham Red in three (I think) volumes, which I'm sure will look amazing in a hardcover on decent paper.

And that does leave the perfect amount of Absalom for a follow up volume in the extension - I think that one is a a pretty safe bet tbh.

IndigoPrime

Quote from: Rately on 30 January, 2020, 10:38:44 AMGrim. I really don't get Hachette at all. Top quality product, for the most part, horrendous after service and continued delays. They really want me to cancel and just buy them off the shelf!
I'm increasingly tempted to cancel and buy direct from FP, despite the additional costs. The one thing Hachette has at least done reasonably well is replaced damaged issues; that said, the sheer number of damaged issues I've received has been way beyond what you'd expect. Bonkers.

moogie101

61/62 just came, as others have said in a bag instead of the usual cardboard but amusingly it says fragile please handle with care, despite them clearly not giving a toss.

The Slaine book is all smashed up at the top. Wish me luck getting a replacement.

Tomwe

Yeah easy replacements for misprints is the disadvantage of forbidden planet. I doubt you'd've been able to get the reissue of #1 that way. But the books always come in serious sleeves or boxes with plenty of padding.

Rately

Quote from: IndigoPrime on 30 January, 2020, 12:26:13 PM
Quote from: Rately on 30 January, 2020, 10:38:44 AMGrim. I really don't get Hachette at all. Top quality product, for the most part, horrendous after service and continued delays. They really want me to cancel and just buy them off the shelf!
I'm increasingly tempted to cancel and buy direct from FP, despite the additional costs. The one thing Hachette has at least done reasonably well is replaced damaged issues; that said, the sheer number of damaged issues I've received has been way beyond what you'd expect. Bonkers.

Dreading this delivery, and the inevitable climb up a mountain to get them to send replacement/s!

IndigoPrime

Given the delays, we should receive replacements by 2029. Possibly 2028.

athorist

Quote from: IndigoPrime on 29 January, 2020, 03:13:04 PM
(By my reckoning, 65/66 should have arrived on Friday, on the basis of my original subscription point. It's irritating being five weeks behind. If that turns into something like three months, that's just ludicrous.)

I just don't know why you think that, when Wikipedia has the on-sale date of 66 as 26th February. You're asking to be nearly a whole month early?

And the payment dates on the Hachette site are always backdated about 2 weeks
You need light here even in the morning
Compared to this St Petersburg was nothing

The Fall - No Bulbs

IndigoPrime

Because that's how these things started off. You subscribed and you got the books prior to them going on sale – or around the time the second book went on sale. I received 31 and 32 on 12 October – 12 days before the on-sale date of 31. The next two deliveries arrived like clockwork, 28 days apart – and the same had largely been true for Dredd, and my early 2000 AD: TUC subscription (although I don't have dates for them). This is, note, entirely normal for subscriptions of any stripe.

Something then happened over 2018's winter holidays, and my next delivery wasn't for 56 days. At that point, 37/38 arrived two days after the second of those issues had already gone on sale. There have since that point been two more major delays. So 61/62, which arrived today, have shown up:

1. 47 days after my previous delivery (on a subscription with a 28-day schedule)
2. Nearly eight weeks after the tracked forward date from 31/32
3. Two weeks after the second of those issues went off sale in stores
4. One day after the second of the next set went on sale

As for payments, in the past they've indicated the books would land about two weeks later, yes – not four weeks later (and in a plastic bag).

Ultimately, it doesn't matter that much. But the inconsistency of the customer service means I'm never quite sure when to expect my books. And because of that, I have to spend time getting customer service to confirm whether or not anything's actually been sent. (45/46 never showed up, for example. But at the time, I had no idea whether they were just late, or if they'd been lost. In the end, they were sent along with 47/48, in a big box with no protection/padding, because Hachette.)

athorist

I can tell from my Wikipedia edits this has never happened to me, the last one I did was about 2 weeks after the on-sale date. And I've been subscribed since day 1
You need light here even in the morning
Compared to this St Petersburg was nothing

The Fall - No Bulbs

levers

Quote from: sintec on 30 January, 2020, 12:09:12 PM
Quote from: leethomson on 30 January, 2020, 11:20:48 AM

Pretty sure it was confirmed sometime back that we'd be getting some Absalom stories to round out the 2nd cabs book - this is the best I can find now and I can't be arsed to try and trawl the whingefest that is the FB group to see if it was ever mentioned there.

Quote from: Jim_Campbell on 09 August, 2017, 07:03:44 PM
Matt very specifically said the complete Nikolai Dante. Also, a complete collection of Cabballistics, with a bit of Absalom thrown in to round out the page count. Plus, a complete collection of the Abnett/Harrison Durham Red in three (I think) volumes, which I'm sure will look amazing in a hardcover on decent paper.

And that does leave the perfect amount of Absalom for a follow up volume in the extension - I think that one is a a pretty safe bet tbh.

Hmmm. I haven't read either. Do I buy volume 1 and wait for volume 2 with added Absalom? Or do I just get the complete Canabalitics from Amazon in one go? £13.99 for 300 pages is very tempting!