Main Menu

Last movie watched...

Started by SmallBlueThing, 04 February, 2011, 12:40:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

bigjobs67

Great film that. Love True Grit as well. Didn't much the remake though. Not terrible just not the 'Big leggy' version. Lol.
'Overwhelming, I'm I not!

Gonk

You can't beat a good old western movie.
coming at a cinema near you soon

bigjobs67

loved 'Assassination of Jesse James, with Bradly in it. Great film.

SpetsnaZ99

Hurumph...

In Time

Is it meant to be Logans Run or Fun With Dick and Jane

You ever notice that everyone who believes in creationism looks really unevolved? Eyes real close together, big furry hands and feet. "I believe God created me in one day." Yeah, looks like he rushed it.

bigjobs67

Not seen it. My daughter liked it though. Justine Trouser Snake isn't it? lol. Thought the premise was kinda interesting. Some thing almost original form main stream Hollywood!

Spikes

Bought a couple of DVDs yesterday with a HMV voucher i had left over from Crimbo. I guess their both nominally in the horror genre - The Kill List; now i dont usually cold buy (is that the right term?) DVDs/CDs but this film has piqued my interest, so looking forward to seeing it, and the other is The 'Burbs, which ive seen manys a time.

Quote from: wonkychop on 28 January, 2012, 10:27:22 AM
John Wayne's last film from 1976 "The Shootist". This film has it all for a cowboy film.

Quote from: bigjobs67 on 28 January, 2012, 11:37:07 AM
Great film that. Love True Grit as well. Didn't much the remake though.

The Shootist is a superb film, as is True Grit. Havent seen the remake of True Grit, but wouldnt mind tracking it down. As i understand it, its a lot closer to the novel? Now, ive never been a really big John Wayne fan, but i got to admit his later films i do have a soft spot for. McQ, is another fave of mine as well. Wouldnt mind a copy of this, but dont think this has had a R2 DVD release?

I, Cosh

Saw a couple yesterday.

War Horse. Too much horse, not enough war. How on Earth this is in the running for an Oscar is beyond me. One from the sentimental, heavy-handed side of Spielberg: I burst out laughing when the camera pulled back to reveal the big pit full of dead horses.  However, being Spielberg, he can't help put have some worthwhile bits in it. The sequence leading up to the cavalry charge at Quievrechain is exciting and, as they appear from hiding in the wheat field, visually arresting. Other than that, well, the goose is excellent.

I thought the film would've been vastly improved by shifting the action to WWII and building on the absurdity of the horse having a big horse mate who it looked out for all the way through. The logical next step would be for the plucky British underhorse to have an ongoing rivalry with a dastardly, monocle-sporting Nazi horse. Preferably one from aristocratic stock so you could include a bit of class war subtext.

Haywire was a much needed palate cleanser after that. I liked the way Soderbergh brings his own sensibilities to a fairly straightforward action thriller. Something as simple as the way the initial backstory unfolds in overlapping flashback layers and the viewer is expected to keep up and sort it out as you can is a refreshing assumption of intelligence.

I was a bit freaked out by his other weird stylistic choice to film the fight scenes in full frame without any frenetic jump-cutting so you can actually see who's doing what to whom. I don't know if it'll catch on but here's hoping. The one drawback of this is that it accentuates the fact that you have a proper hardwoman fighting a bunch of fey acty types. Still a good one though.
We never really die.

Richmond Clements

The Coen's True Grit is fantastic.

Watched Drive Angry last night, and while every fibre of my being screamed that it was rubbish and that Nic Cage was monumentally bad in it, I bloody loved it.

bigjobs67

McQ F##kin rocks. Kill List is heavy so prepare yourself mate.

bigjobs67

'Drive' anyone? Loved 'Bronson' and even 'Valhalla Rising', Refin is well good.

Roger Godpleton

The other great thing about Haywire is the obvious Archer reference.
He's only trying to be what following how his dreams make you wanna be, man!

radiator

X Men First Class on Blu Ray. If anything enjoyed it even more the second time round. Tremendous film, especially considering that it was made in such a short space of time.

It seems to be doing well on DVD and Blu sales, so fingers crossed for a sequel!

On a related note, I just picked up the 4 other X-films in a Blu ray box set for £10 from play.com - noticed that it's since been reduced to £7.99, so there's a tip if you want to grab a bargain.

radiator

Just tried to watch Origins: Wolverine. Bloody hell, what a stinker. Every bit as bad as I'd heard.

Beaky Smoochies

I always thought X-Men should've been a one-off film, a socio-political allegory wrapped in a commercial vehicle along the likes of Planet of the Apes  or Invasion of the Body Snatchers .  Once you've made the initial statement of intent on prejudice and bigotry, all the sequels are pretty much recycling the same old same old.  The first X-Men was excellent (apart from a slightly dodgy final reel that held back too much for sequels), but the two sequels, not to mention the simply terrible ...Origins...  (next year's The Wolverine will hopefully rectify that situation), were just retreading old ground, but ...First Class seems like a genuinely fresh and highly engaging new spin on the mythology, I have yet to see it though - I'll take the mighty radiator's word for it though!

As far as great films just watched, may I present David Fincher's utterly superior Zodiac, just shown Saturday night on RTE 2, brilliant film all round...
"When the people fear the government there is tyranny, when the government fear the people there is LIBERTY!" - Thomas Jefferson.

"That government is best which governs least" - Thomas Jefferson.

Gonk

I agree about X-Men sequels, and a lot of others. They seem pretty pointless after the first statement is made. I think Dredd could fare better if handled with a bit of respect from the film makers. He is an anti-hero, he's worse than the villains he brings justice to and I think this makes him just a bit more interesting as a character. One of the political statements Judge Dredd seems to make is that the state's crime will always outweigh the crimes of the criminal.

Just watched "Sleeper" by Woody Allen. Don't know what the message of this film is? Too much science and you'll end up with enormous vegetables? :lol:
coming at a cinema near you soon