Main Menu

Comic book fan released into 2000 ad

Started by Phantom, 24 March, 2012, 08:07:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Emperor

Quote from: Onlyverysmall on 25 March, 2012, 11:29:01 PM
In terms of Question 8, I've always been under the impression that Viz way outsells The Beano, The Dandy and 2000ad multiple times, hence those crappy Viz copiers years ago; Smut and Zit are all I remember.

In its heyday Viz was apparently shifting well over a million copies an issue (hence all those rip-off), last figures put it at 64k, which is a massive drop but is still shifting more than most of the American comic books (especially before the New 52 relaunch), which is not too shabby when you consider the differences in population.

DTT has a summary of the last 6 years of British comics sales, where they are available:

http://www.downthetubes.net/resources/comics_links/comics_by_country/ukcomicssales.html
if I went 'round saying I was an Emperor just because some moistened bint had lobbed a scimitar at me, they'd put me away!

Fractal Friction | Tumblr | Google+

O Lucky Stevie!

Stak!  Those twin bastions of UK comics The Beano & The Dandy have taken a hammering & then some.
"We'll send all these nasty words to Aunt Jane. Don't you think that would be fun?"

Phantom

Thanks for the link, those kiddies mags kick arse over the USA sales.
They must be making a mint on those - I buy a few for the kids and they are full of nothing.

Shame NRA for 2000 ad sales.

Anyone else want to answer my questions?

Phantom

another two shops that don't stock it.
May have to buy online just to check out the newer stuff.

whats with typing in this code every time. I have to gess about 10 times, the writting is so poor. Makes you not want to post

a chosen rider

Quote from: Phantom on 27 March, 2012, 12:27:01 PMwhats with typing in this code every time. I have to gess about 10 times, the writting is so poor. Makes you not want to post

It should go away after you've made your first ten posts.  (Or did for me, anyway.)
On Twitter @devilsfootsteps

Aonghus

Quote from: Phantom on 27 March, 2012, 12:27:01 PM
whats with typing in this code every time. I have to gess about 10 times, the writting is so poor. Makes you not want to post

The audio function is more convenient, I found; give it a go!

Onlyverysmall

Quote from: Emperor on 26 March, 2012, 02:03:17 AM
Quote from: Onlyverysmall on 25 March, 2012, 11:29:01 PM
In terms of Question 8, I've always been under the impression that Viz way outsells The Beano, The Dandy and 2000ad multiple times, hence those crappy Viz copiers years ago; Smut and Zit are all I remember.

In its heyday Viz was apparently shifting well over a million copies an issue (hence all those rip-off), last figures put it at 64k, which is a massive drop but is still shifting more than most of the American comic books (especially before the New 52 relaunch), which is not too shabby when you consider the differences in population.

DTT has a summary of the last 6 years of British comics sales, where they are available:

http://www.downthetubes.net/resources/comics_links/comics_by_country/ukcomicssales.html

I'm so out of touch...that...I might as well...be...no, I can't think of anything...pfft.

Phantom

Went to two shops this morning, no luck on 2000 ad. One has a huge selection of mags that I thought 100 % would have it.

Looks like eBay sales are easyest or subscription. Cannot believe this cannot be found on the shelf.

GordyM

Check out my new comic Supermom: Expecting Trouble and see how a pregnant superhero tries to deal with the fact that the baby's father is her archnemesis. Free preview pack including 12 pages of art: http://www.mediafire.com/file/57986rnlgk0itfz/Supermom_Preview_Pack.pdf/file

Emperor

Quote from: Phantom on 28 March, 2012, 09:52:15 AMWent to two shops this morning, no luck on 2000 ad. One has a huge selection of mags that I thought 100 % would have it.

Looks like eBay sales are easyest or subscription. Cannot believe this cannot be found on the shelf.

I am surprised as I see it in most newsagents I go into and if they don't have it they will order one in for you (although a subscription is cheaper).
if I went 'round saying I was an Emperor just because some moistened bint had lobbed a scimitar at me, they'd put me away!

Phantom

I just assumed everywhere would have it.
Like frew phantom in australia ~ every newsagent.

Noticed also that the large tescos don;t have it either.

Found a place so all is good.

Juulsgaard

Hi there - im a new member myself - and you are very right those numbers you have to type after every post are annoying. The big 2000ad test - its like "The Hotdog run" - are you hard enough?! Hopefully ill make it - good luck to you too.

edit: I MADE IT - they are gone!

IndigoPrime

Quote from: Emperor on 26 March, 2012, 02:03:17 AMIn its heyday Viz was apparently shifting well over a million copies an issue (hence all those rip-off), last figures put it at 64k, which is a massive drop but is still shifting more than most of the American comic books (especially before the New 52 relaunch), which is not too shabby when you consider the differences in population.
64k for Viz? I was expecting a drop, but still thought it might shift around the 100k mark. It'd be interesting to see how 2000 AD is doing these days, although its continued existence and largely inflation-based price-rises suggest it must be doing pretty well.

Mind you, it's all about profit anyway. I've worked for niche mags that have closed when selling 20k+, while others happily muddle on with sales of around 3000. I guess Viz is bringing in enough cash at its current readership level, and that's all that really matters.

Quoteow cool is the comic, and yuou say current stuff is better. I think comics have matured and become more sofistocated - cannot spell but you will get used to it. Spell check cannot even solve that one for me.  A lot of trash dumped on the market in the 90s, now they have to work harder to sell the same product. Your thoughts
From a 2000 AD standpoint, it's all about the creators and the editors being able to curate and also care about the material they nurture and release. Really, 2000 AD has had two high points, from an editor standpoint: the first was Steve MacManus, who took the reigns from 1978 to 1987, during which time 2000 AD churned out an amazing number of hits and loads of talent. Declining sales, talent escaping to the USA and some curious decisions saw this seriously erode during the late 1980s and early 1990s, to the point where 2000 AD was damn near unreadable. Tomlinson and Bishop did their best to repair the damage, while Diggle injected some much-needed ballsiness back into the publication, and then Matt Smith arrived. And that, for me, is the second high-point of 2000 AD. Not everything in the publication since 2002 has been good, but the hit-rate is extremely high, and I hope Smith sticks around for many years to come.

WhizzBang

Quote from: IndigoPrime on 22 April, 2012, 01:05:28 PM
64k for Viz? I was expecting a drop, but still thought it might shift around the 100k mark.

According to http://www.magazinesabout.co.uk/magazines/view/Viz+Comicit is at about 100k but there is no indication of when this was.

I used to subscribe to Viz but found it really difficult to renew each year from outside the UK.

Emperor

Quote from: WhizzBang on 22 April, 2012, 06:30:50 PM
Quote from: IndigoPrime on 22 April, 2012, 01:05:28 PM
64k for Viz? I was expecting a drop, but still thought it might shift around the 100k mark.

According to http://www.magazinesabout.co.uk/magazines/view/Viz+Comicit is at about 100k but there is no indication of when this was.

Yeah if you look at the other link I give this has historical numbers for Viz:

Jul-Dec 2006   Jul-Dec 2007   Jan-Jun 2008   Jul-Dec 2010   Jan-Jun 2011   Jul-Dec 2011
94,364         88,165          88,165          67,851          67,851       64,233

So those numbers are 6 years old.