Main Menu

Schroedinger's Cat

Started by JayzusB.Christ, 28 May, 2008, 01:18:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mikey

Jayzus - you've got mail.I kind of forgot to do it yesterday.

M.

To tell the truth, you can all get screwed.

Mikey

Bloody hell - I sent you the wrong article.The second will be the one you're after.

M.

JayzusB.Christ

After a good long think about Schroedinger's cat I decided to look up this post again. So it's a necropost, but that's fine, I'm a necrophile. And shite, sorry, Mikey, I don't think I ever realised you'd sent me the article in question, and never thanked you for it. Er... do you still have it?  :-[
"Men will never be free until the last king is strangled with the entrails of the last priest"

Mikey

Let's see...two years later...moved those boxes there...got that last xmas...AGH! SPIDER!...dusty as hell 'round here...

Nope. I can't remember the article, but I'll see if I can track it down again...

M.

Proudhuff

Bloody cocky humans only think something happens if THEY observe it? self centred egotists methinks
DDT did a job on me

JayzusB.Christ

Thanks a million, Mikey, though no worries if you can't find it.

Proudhuff, I really hope that you're right - otherwise the universe is solipsistic to an almost Godpletonian extent, except for the fact that he is part of my imagination, and not vice versa as has previously been suggested. By him.
"Men will never be free until the last king is strangled with the entrails of the last priest"

M.I.K.

So... Presumably, if Schroedinger's cat survived the experiment, it would be able to observe that it had, but if it died, it wouldn't be able to observe that it had. Which means it would only be in a dead/non-dead state of flux if it actually died and not if it lived, which makes no sense.

For the analogy to work, Schroedinger should have picked something incapable of being aware of its own fate, like a banana or something.

I, Cosh

Whether the cat knows or not is irrelevant to the external observer's point of view.
We never really die.

Definitely Not Mister Pops

The Barman says we don't serve your type around here
You may quote me on that.

Kerrin

Mind buggering stuff. I'd use a stethoscope.

For a fascinating documentary on all things quantum including the behavior of observed and unobserved photons, check out BBC2's Horizon; What is reality? Brilliant stuff. See what you think of Holographic Theory. I actually felt my brain flip like a gelatinous pancake.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode/b00xxgbn/Horizon_20102011_What_Is_Reality/

A Time Traveler walks into a bar

M.I.K.

Quote from: The Cosh on 15 February, 2011, 06:40:10 PM
Whether the cat knows or not is irrelevant to the external observer's point of view.

Hmmm... On the other hand, I suppose if the gas/radiation leaked out and potentially killed the external observer, the outcome could depend on the live version of the cat getting out of the box to find out.

I believe it was Neils Bohr who said something along the lines of; If you understand it, you clearly haven't been paying attention. But don't quote me on that quotation, it is uncertain.

vzzbux

Just read this thread.  :crazy: :crazy:
It fucks my head up almost as much as thinking where space ends and where it does end what starts and how long does that go on for. :crazy: :crazy:
Also when our spacial time started, how far does it really go back and what came before and how long was that in existence. :crazy: :crazy:

I'm going for a lie down.

V
Drokking since 1972

Peace is a lie, there's only passion.
Through passion, I gain strength.
Through strength I gain power.
Through power, I gain victory.
Through victory, my chains are broken.

TordelBack