Main Menu

The Political Thread

Started by The Legendary Shark, 09 April, 2010, 03:59:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Richmond Clements

QuoteLet's just all agree then shall we that the EU is superb!

Absolutely no one involved with the EU is corrupt!

Mmm... pretty sure that nobody actually said that. But let's not a little thing like a fact get in the way, eh..?

COMMANDO FORCES

Here's an idea, why don't you list all the amazing things the EU have done for the member states that they couldn't have done for themselves, with their own money!

Dandontdare

Quote from: COMMANDO FORCES on 15 October, 2012, 07:17:49 PM
Let's just all agree then shall we that the EU is superb!

Absolutely no one involved with the EU is corrupt!
There has been no fiddling of the figures or cooking of the books!
Nobody has employed family members in jobs that should have been advertised!
Whistle blowers have NEVER been sacked, etc, etc...

Norway and Switzerland seem to do okay!

And UKIP isn't corrupt or racist?

And Farage is a paragon of democracy?

Supporting UKIP cos the EU is corrupt is liking supporting Al Qaeda because America is corrupt.

Jim_Campbell

Quote from: COMMANDO FORCES on 15 October, 2012, 07:44:56 PM
Here's an idea, why don't you list all the amazing things the EU have done for the member states that they couldn't have done for themselves, with their own money!

The diplomatic, political and trade bindings that European integration has caused have given rise to the longest uninterrupted period of peace in mainland Europe since the Romans.

Now, you can obviously argue that that effect wasn't a direct result of the EU as an organisation, but as a side-effect of process which gives rise to the EU as its most visible manifestation, I'll take it over pretty much all the alternatives.

Cheers

Jim
Stupidly Busy Letterer: Samples. | Blog
Less-Awesome-Artist: Scribbles.

COMMANDO FORCES

I will argue that the EU had no effect in that Jim, thank you!

Also Dan, I see that that book isn't even out until 2014 and from that small article I look forward to reading what comes up, time will tell. Please buy the book and then tell me all the facts. I will wait with baited breath!

I enjoyed the other article about Nigel surrounding himself with people he wants, dear me I would have thought he would have went for people he hated. Please do better next time.

By the way the two articles are just claims at the moment and nothing factual, which is a shame because I prefer to read facts :lol:

Old Tankie

....... or, CF, in the UK's case (along with the Germans, Swedes, Dutch and Italians), think what they could have done with all their own money that has, as EU net contributors, just disappeared.  Although, on the other hand, there are some wonderful new roads in Spain, Ireland and Greece!!

So Yugoslavia wasn't on mainland Europe then??

The Prodigal

Quote from: Jim_Campbell on 15 October, 2012, 08:02:36 PM

The diplomatic, political and trade bindings that European integration has caused have given rise to the longest uninterrupted period of peace in mainland Europe since the Romans.

Now, you can obviously argue that that effect wasn't a direct result of the EU as an organisation, but as a side-effect of process which gives rise to the EU as its most visible manifestation, I'll take it over pretty much all the alternatives.

Cheers

Jim

This.

They have also funded my wages for 12 years. Thank you Europe.

Richmond Clements

Quote from: The Prodigal on 15 October, 2012, 08:16:47 PM

Cheers

Jim

This.

And Nigel Farage's.

COMMANDO FORCES

Don't mention the war, some of the forum might just have been putting their own lives on the line for fellow Europeans during that conflict that the EU sorted out, with no help from the evil empire America!

Definitely Not Mister Pops

Sure ye wouldn't want help from America during a war, with all their 'friendly' fire
You may quote me on that.

The Prodigal

Quote from: Richmond Clements on 15 October, 2012, 08:21:01 PM
Quote from: The Prodigal on 15 October, 2012, 08:16:47 PM

Cheers

Jim

This.

And Nigel Farage's.

We have never been seen together. MOTWYW.

TordelBack

While in the grand tradition of this thread I find myself opposed to his political opinions at almost every turn, I'd probably vote for CF himself given half a chance.  Fine appreciation of cultural heritage and its curation, and he certainly made the minibuses run on time. 

Stan

Quote from: Richmond Clements on 15 October, 2012, 06:27:37 PM
Quote from: Stan on 15 October, 2012, 06:18:19 PM
Quote from: Richmond Clements on 15 October, 2012, 03:41:45 PM
QuoteI would say it's primarily all about not wanting to be ruled by 'unelected' imbeciles in Europe

Except, of course, that they are not unelected, are they?
Remind me... UKIP hvae no MPs..? But they have elected memebers sitting... where is it again..?

The EU parliament is a talking shop. I just prefer UKIP doing the talking. B|

You say a talking shop, CF says they're our unelected leaders... I would suggest that in cannot be both.
Out of curiosity though, can anyone tell me anything - anything at all - that UKIP have actually achieved in their infiltration of the European Parliament?

Besides annoying people I can't really think of anything spectacular off the top of my head. If all they're doing is just relaying the opinions of other EUskeptics then I'm fine with that, for now. Some of these people (ie. Barroso) need to be slapped around every once and a while, and I can't very well do it from my armchair!.

JOE SOAP

Brussels is where they make all the evil.

COMMANDO FORCES

I heard that the only place on earth that can legally produce sprouts, is Brussels!