Main Menu

The Political Thread

Started by The Legendary Shark, 09 April, 2010, 03:59:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Hawkmumbler

Quote from: Mister Pops on 09 July, 2016, 03:41:48 AM
Quote from: Hawkmumbler on 08 July, 2016, 09:35:13 AM
Fucking hell! You go to sleep an iver night Dallas becomes a war zone!

The worst of it is the horrible inevitability.

Unjustifiable but inevitable.

Shooting people never solved anything.
Let's be frank, who needs a sub machine gun? Who needs a sniper rifle? Who even needs a freaking hand gun? People say they carry them for self defense...against other gun owners. This can all be rectified by amending the second amendment and confiscating everyone's guns.

Modern Panther

The founding fathers intention was that people should have access to front loading single shot muskets, in case the king showed up and wanted them to pay taxes.
We now take that to mean that people should have unregulated access to assault rifles and sniper rifles.
If that's okay, then why can't you also have surface to air missiles, plutonium and weaponised anthrax?

Hawkmumbler

I think the debate is actually over at this point. Once America realised it could live with the deaths of children on it's hands, it was over.

The Legendary Shark

Ordinary human beings cannot be trusted with any kind of weapon, from knives up. However, take any ordinary human beings and elevate them by means of a popularity contest every four or five years and they can have access to these,

[move]~~~^~~~~~~~[/move]

Hawkmumbler

You can't conficate knifes, Sharky. Unlike guns, knifes have every day uses. Also, it's a hell of a lot easier to deffend yourself frim someone with a knife than someone with a gun.

The Legendary Shark

Sure knives can be confiscated. If you don't believe me, try carrying one down the high street*.

*Actually, don't try that at all - you might end up shot! :-/
[move]~~~^~~~~~~~[/move]

Hawkmumbler

I do. It's my boot knife and line cutters used in diving.

I wouldn't be at any risk of being shot. I'm white.

Jim_Campbell

Quote from: Hawkmumbler on 11 July, 2016, 08:23:48 AM

Unless that knife has a folding blade less than 3in long, you're breaking the law.
Stupidly Busy Letterer: Samples. | Blog
Less-Awesome-Artist: Scribbles.

JamesC

Don't chefs carry sets of knives around in those leather pouch things all the time?

Old Tankie

They would have a reasonable explanation for having a knife.

Jim_Campbell

Quote from: Old Tankie on 11 July, 2016, 09:22:07 AM
They would have a reasonable explanation for having a knife.

Yes. My bad. I omitted that caveat from my reply to Hawkmumbler because I'm fairly sure he's not expecting to have to free himself from any line-based entanglements on his high street.
Stupidly Busy Letterer: Samples. | Blog
Less-Awesome-Artist: Scribbles.

Old Tankie

Don't have a pop I am agreeing with you! :)

Hawkmumbler

Quote from: Jim_Campbell on 11 July, 2016, 08:27:15 AM
Quote from: Hawkmumbler on 11 July, 2016, 08:23:48 AM

Unless that knife has a folding blade less than 3in long, you're breaking the law.
Both are 'T' formated 2 inch blades, perfectly legal to be carried on my person. They're stored in my dive dry rucksack which I use as an every day back as well. The point i'm making is theres always a reason to carry a sharp cutter or knife, but never a reason to carry a fire arm.

The Legendary Shark

I carry a Swiss army knife all the time. I've carried it for so long that putting it in my pocket is automatic. It was taken off me when I went to court, presumably in order to prevent me corkscrewing the magistrates to death. Nobody seemed to consider the fact that if one of the magistrates had got a stone stuck in their hoof I would not have been able to help.

You're not allowed to carry a gun around, or a proper survival knife, however, unless authorised to do so by people assuming - because they've won a popularity contest - the right to arm or disarm whomever they desire. If nobody is allowed to carry a gun, where do the politicians get the right to decide that some can but most can't?

As someone far wiser than me once said, if only the police are allowed to be armed, who will protect us from the police?
[move]~~~^~~~~~~~[/move]

Theblazeuk

The difference between walking down the street and being in court is pretty evident... so why even make the comparison.