Main Menu

Football and comic

Started by Proudhuff, 08 August, 2003, 06:18:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Proudhuff

pre-emptive retaliation... a thread for mindless chatter aboot boys and their balls..

Public Service Provider Huff
DDT did a job on me

Tex Hex

I recall liking Roy of the Rovers when I was a nipper. It was never anything to do with football, he would travel to a foreign country, be attacked by a "werewolf" scooby doo style and then survive to score the winning goal in the game the following day. Brilliant!

Mudcrab

Splendid, well done. I was thinking the same. As long as we don't spawn loads of Premiership, SPL, Old Firm, Highland League, Referees, Transfers, Champions League and Euro2004 threads a la Big Brother 2000adonline. Then we'll be in for it :o)

Hopefully we can all remain fairly calm thoughout the season too (yeah, sure), seeing as most of us support different teams.

Perhaps we can push for more football related content in tooth, drawn by Ian Gibson of course! Or perhaps some classic footy strips in the Meg :o) My brother always used to get Roy of the Rovers and Tiger, while I got 2000ad and Starlord/Tornado/Speed/Eagle or whatever.

I've been converted to football relatively recently, been going to see the Dons for about 4 years now.

So Huffster, which Edinburgh block are you fighting with? Or is this you shoving us football fans out of the Prog 1352 thread?
NEGOTIATION'S OVER!

La Mer

must.fight.partisan.feelings......
Looking ofrward to the season, even tho im a villa supporter!!
Roy of the Rovers - remember billy's boots, and hot shot hamish, cor, now im going to have to go to me da's and get em out the loft.....
Its this time of year when i lose time to premiership manager - the excitment gets too much!!

Mudcrab

Good stuff, my sister's a Villa fan, after Aberdeen of course for some unknown (even by her) reason. I've yet to firmly decide on an English team to 'support'. I've got a mate that stays in Hackney, so Arsenal might be a good bet, but that also feels like cheating :o) I'd say Liverpool but I need time to forgive them for stuffing Aberdeen the other night!

Hot-shot Hamish! Excellent, I'd forgotten about that. I'm not sure if my brother's stil got his comics. I doubt it really, but I imagine they'd be worth something if he did, probably not as much as others but worth keeping nonetheless.

As for games, I need to start Pro Evolution again so I can this year's team in :o)
NEGOTIATION'S OVER!

La Mer

as for football sims, Im waiting for Club football from codemasters - the midlands version is the Villa (Yay!!), its supposed to be club-centric with the players of the particular team digitised and the ground is an accurate version.... so maybe ill see the villa whupping THAT team from Manchester after all......
Hot shot hamish - ended up as i remember, teaming up with the 'hard man' and mighty mouse, one of the last stories i remember is them playing rovers, and beating them.....

Mudcrab

Yeah, those games look good, but they're only doing the 'evil' teams from Scotland :o)
NEGOTIATION'S OVER!

Slippery PD

Mighty Mouse and Hot shot Hamish in the smae thread...  Blimey.  Id forgotten about these strips.......  Takes e bakc to the days of travelling round Scotland playing football with a copy of Roy of the Rovers and 2000ad in the back of the Mini Bus as a teenager.

Yer "Mon The Ton" Slips

nick_coyle

As a Chelski fan I am looking forward to the new season. Not sure how we will do but it will be a fun journey (unless we get knocked out by Zilina in the Champions league qialifiers next week). Good Luck to whichever team you support for the new season!

Has football ever featured in 2000ad or the meg? I can remember 2 examples: Wotta Lotta balls starring Big Dave and a story from a JD yearbook from about 1994 in black and white. can anybody think of anything else?

test 4 echo

Robohunter, the world cup robot footie story, it was brilliant!

AIEEEEEEEE!!!!! blakie pentax!!!!

Slippery PD

Yes the classic Robo Hunter, where he is hired to protect robot players Kev, trev and kev.  Which has the immortal line in it Blakee Pentax.......

Yer Slips

Proudhuff

Not shoving, no, ushering with a good hearted smile in the way of crowd control stewards everywhere...

oh and if I had to chose it would have to be Tranent Juniors ;)

play nice now no biting, scratching, name calling or dirty tackles, they should be kept for the 'Underware' thread

Huffsta

DDT did a job on me

Queen Firey-Bou

Dounreay

Speaking of Roy of the Rovers, here's how to hold yer own in a pub footie trivia test.

"Who's the only player to have scored three goals in the second half of extra time to win a cup final?"

Allow trivia experts to simmer for about ten minutes as they run through every goal scorer know to man, then triumphantly declare "Roy of the Rovers" as you run for the door.

Alternative Scottish version "Who has played for both Rangers and Celtic in more cup finals than anyone else?". Strathclyde Police Pipe Band obviously.  

Slippery PD

As our season started this week Im gonna brag,  were top of the league!!!!

GD PTS
1 Morton 1 1 0 0 3 1 0 0 0 0 0 2 3
2 East Fife 1 1 0 0 3 2 0 0 0 0 0 1 3
3 Dumbarton 1 0 0 0 0 0 1 0 0 2 1 1 3
4 Forfar Athletic 1 0 0 0 0 0 1 0 0 2 1 1 3
5 Arbroath 1 1 0 0 1 0 0 0 0 0 0 1 3
6 Stenhousemuir 1 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 1 2 3 -1 0
7 Alloa 1 0 0 1 1 2 0 0 0 0 0 -1 0
8 Hamilton 1 0 0 1 1 2 0 0 0 0 0 -1 0
9 Berwick 1 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 1 0 1 -1 0
10 Airdrie United 1 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 1 1 3 -2 0

Yer Slips