Main Menu

The Political Thread

Started by The Legendary Shark, 09 April, 2010, 03:59:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

IndigoPrime

This could come back to bite me, but in a happy piece of personal news, to counter a tiny bit of the gloom, Mrs IP heard back from the Home Office today, and was told that "a decision has recently been made on your application" and that her "citizenship paperwork will be generated in coming weeks". I'm hoping there's not some other twist in this particular (and very expensive) tale. Thanks to all those on the board who've offered well wishes and support to date—it really has been appreciated.

Funt Solo

++ A-Z ++  coma ++

TordelBack

von Boom

JayzusB.Christ

"Men will never be free until the last king is strangled with the entrails of the last priest"

shaolin_monkey

Congrats!! That must be a massive relief.

IndigoPrime

Quote from: shaolin_monkey on 10 June, 2020, 08:55:10 PM
Congrats!! That must be a massive relief.
Definitely Mrs IP was in bits earlier. It was such an outpouring of stress and relief, not least given the law recently changing on the quiet regarding citizenship and EU/EFTA migrants.

von Boom

Bolt-01

IP -- late to the party as ever, but that is fantastic news.

sheridan

JayzusB.Christ

Here's something I've been thinking about for a while.  While I believe the majority of high-ranking national leaders are to some extent sociopathic, most of them can at least emulate some kind of normal behaviour (look at Johnson, with the lovable buffoon mask that he spent so much time crafting and is only now slipping).

Trump, on the other hand, is an absolute weirdo.  He seems utterly unable to even project normality, whether it's boasting about his daughter's 'voluptuous figure', calling himself a 'stable genius'. or tweeting the kind conspiracy theories that friendless internet oddballs dredge up and think people are listening. He has publicly stated that he has no friends, and seems totally incapable of interacting with other human beings.

I don't get it. I don't understand how people can look at him and say, 'there's the man that's fighting for us, the common folk'.  It's like finding the weirdest of all the class misfits and making him the school president.  Just a thought, anyway. 

"Men will never be free until the last king is strangled with the entrails of the last priest"

Funt Solo

Quote from: JayzusB.Christ on 11 June, 2020, 08:58:50 PM
I don't get it. I don't understand how people can look at him and say, 'there's the man that's fighting for us, the common folk'.

The anti-abortionists vote for him because he promises them what they most desire: complete control over women's lives. He's well on his way to providing them their dream by shifting the supreme court to the "Christian" right.

The white supremacists vote for him because he plays to their wants and mores: a wall to keep out the Mexicans ("rapists"), a rally in Tulsa on the anniversary of the race massacre of 1921, support for white supremacist demonstrations ("very fine people"), support for racist flag-waving ("our heritage") & denigration of black victims of police violence ("not a good person").

The dyed in the wool Republicans vote for him because he provides them with power: because he won the primary and then won the election, and then when in power provided them with tax breaks.

Struggling small business people and blue collar workers felt like he promised them economic recovery with his mythic status as a savvy business mogul. (In stats, the economy has done quite well, but it was on an upward trajectory driven by Obama's policies prior to Trump taking office. We're yet to see the effects of Trump's trade wars and isolationism.)

Edit: a certain portion of the lackadaisical also seem fond of him. Think of young, white, male millennials who haven't navigated their way well through the challenges of mental health, education and the forming of meaningful relationships. They're frustrated - and he promises change. This segues into the organization of deliberately misogynistic groups who feel that they're owed sexual companionship.

(See also: transphobes & homophobes.)

And all of those folk - they make up something like 46% of the population of the US. The corrupt electoral system gave them a win.
++ A-Z ++  coma ++

JayzusB.Christ

Couldn't really ask for a more comprehensive answer than that. Thanks, Funt.  Though I despair for the future of the world.

Funt Solo

Yeah, sorry: I'm a real bummer sometimes.

On a positive note, the US military quite often distances itself from Trumpet Scunthorpe Cockatoo Wristwatch.
++ A-Z ++  coma ++

sheridan

Quote from: Funt Solo on 11 June, 2020, 09:48:47 PM
a rally in Tulsa on the anniversary of the race massacre of 1921, support for white supremacist

Just as a point of order - the Tulsa massacre (and not race riot as the right-wing would have you believe) was on the 31st of May and 1st of June 1921 - i.e. has just had it's 99th anniversary.  Trump's having his Nuremberg rally on the site, on the anniversary of the abolition of slavery in the united states.

p.s. anybody who saw the recent Watchmen series - it was the massacre at the beginning of one of the episodes.