Main Menu

Ultimate Fantastic Four

Started by Mr D, 24 July, 2004, 12:20:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mr D

I was perusing Amazon earlier today (well yesterday, but am having trouble sleeping....) and I noticed the first trade of UFF is due for release in September. I've preordered it, as I'm curious. What's it like?

I've never read any FF but I used to devour the 'Marvel Action Hour' cartoon. I loved ULTIMATE SPIDERMAN and have mostly enjoyed ULTIMATE X-MEN. THE ULTIMATES wasn't bad, but I didn't like Millar's Hulk at all.

Anyone been reading this? I haven't even got round to the ULTIMATE MARVEL TEAM UP so I've never even seen the UFF.

Marbles

I just read 1-8 & am glad I didnt shell out for it - the first few episodes are fun but it gets a bit dull after that.
Remember - dry hair is for squids

Bico

Hard to give an objective overview on UFF, to be honest - the first few issues, where the characters were introduced and the backstory for future issues put in place, were pleasant enough, if not groundbreaking (Bendis is lousy at writing plots, but great at characters), but then it all drags on a bit with a 'molemen' thing that takes up about three issues.  Warren Ellis took over the writing chores recently, turning Doom into some kind of bag lady with metal for skin and an army of robot insects at his command and I'm starting to lose interest, but the tpb would probably be worth getting for the first few issues, and the molemen thing maybe reads better in one go.

Mr C

I read the first issue and didn't like it at all.
Get the Essential FF books, first 60 issues. Stan and Jack at their best.

Megadeth

I've bought every issue so far but have only read half of them. I will get round to them but.....

Although the first trade may be worth getting just for the truck of chickens incident :)

DavidXBrunt

I concur with Mr C. Essential F.F. is a great read, it's got imaginative plots, fun character moments, everything you could hope for. 500 pages for about ?12.

You might also want to try the more recent comics, the Waid and Weiringo books 'Imaginauts' and 'Unimaginable'. These are perfect examples of how a modern comic should be. Fond and proud of the characters and their history but forward looking and creative. Funny, dramatic, tense, sweet comics that make you realise just how Fantastic these Four can be. Hugely recommended.

In fact, if you buy either Essential F.F. or 'Imaginauts' and don't like them I'll swao them for something you've not got or buy them off you for a decent price. Can't say fairer than that, and I'm that confident.

starscape

Skip Essential FF 1 though - it's not that bad, just 2 and 3 really start to show Stan and Jack at their best.  In fact I wish they would get a move on with these.  My favourite FF was the Gabriel/ Overlord saga and that must be around Essential 6!!!

Still Essential Iron Fist is out soon.  John Byrne at the height of his powers (although that height lasted a good deal longer than most what with his wonderful run on the FF in the Negative Zone).

But Ultimate FF is pretty good.  Still finding its feet but who isn't looking forward to Ultimate Thing v Ultimate Hulk or the Coming of Ultimate Galactus!!!

Link: http://www.superherostore.co.uk" target="_blank">Superhero Store

Max Kon

i'm not reading the ultimates. its hard enough to keep up with one marvel universe, but two with the same characters, i don't think so.

paulvonscott

As someone who is interested in comics, not really that bothered about superheros, do people think I should check out these essential books (maybe borrow a few) just to see what this marvel nonsense is all about?

thinky

As someone who is interested in comics, not really that bothered about superheros, do people think I should check out these essential books (maybe borrow a few) just to see what this marvel nonsense is all about?

absolutely... the essential X-men is the best (imho), but i've also got the Essesion Uncanny X-Men (early stan & jack), Avengers, Fantastic 4 and Wolverine

if you want to borrow any, then give me a shout

the apologist (formerly thinky)
you think this isn't me? that's so sweet...
//http://www.adverseCamber.co.uk

starscape

You could probably do without the very early Marvel.  They are probably a bit too simple for an introduction.  I'd recommend Essential Silver Surfer or Essential FF vol.3.  Shame Essential Thor has stalled at issue 1 as these were pretty poor stories (great for kids though) but Kirby really progressed with these more than any other I think. The Black Galaxy saga probably being more readable in the 80s/90s than at the time when most readers were teens at the oldest.

Marvel Treasury #21 features Gabriel the Air-Walker/ Silver Surfer/ Galactus returns saga and is quite simply sensational.  In fact most of the early Galactus involved comics were as the FF could never hope to beat him so the desperation, futility and bravery were always high.

Oddboy

the apologist (formerly thinky)

I like the way that you're including that "formerly thinky" bit - almost as if you're constantly apologising for changing your name!
Better set your phaser to stun.

thinky

I like the way that you're including that "formerly thinky" bit - almost as if you're constantly apologising for changing your name!

sorry about that :)
you think this isn't me? that's so sweet...
//http://www.adverseCamber.co.uk

Marbles

pvs, for the best of marvel nonsense check out frank millers run on 'daredevil' (elektra et al - the basis for the film) and also Walt Simonsens run on 'Thor'.
Remember - dry hair is for squids

DavidXBrunt

Just bought and read books 3 & 4 of the Waid run. Book 3 rather impressivley has Howard Porter as the fill-in artist and sees the 4 attempt to bring freedom to Latveria now that Doom is no longer there to 'lead' them and book 4 sees the 3 that survive head into the hereafter to rescue the soul of the departed one. And when they meet their creator it's sweet, funny, and just right.

I don't really like the expression but these are true 'joycore' comics. Comics with a sense of fun, and wonder like Jack and Stan used to make.