Main Menu

Prog Sizes

Started by Mr D, 06 April, 2004, 08:36:50 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mr D

I've been a bit odd recently, and started a large number of on-topic threads compared to off topic (mainly to keep good folk like Logan here, and to make sure they don't hate me!!)

This is no different. I quote from 2000ad Review:

Although it?s only been three months since the beginning of 2004, there have already been changes aplenty at the Galaxy's Greatest Comic. The first of these was the change in the size of the comic, although considering the number of times this has happened over the years perhaps people shouldn?t have been all that surprised. I have to say that, for myself, I was always slightly unnerved when I returned to the pages of 2000AD to find that it was now more approximate to the size of an American comic book. Perhaps it will only appeal to fans of a certain age, but I always liked the size and shape of 2000AD in the eighties, and I always thought British comics seemed better with their own style rather than trying to ape the American style of production. It also seems, to me at least, that the change in canvas sizes gives the artists involved more room to experiment and fit in their actual work. Alongside the size of the comic, the artists and writers credit boxes changed as well. Just as soon as you?ve gotten used to something?Ah well, I'm sure I'll get used to it soon enough.

Well, how do you fine folk feel about the size of the prog. I was never TOO bothered, but if I'm honest I prefer the more 'American' size. It just fits in my hands easier, and feels more like a comic for me. Ok, ok, and the 80s style don't fit in my bloody scanner...

Thoughts?

Floyd-the-k

I`m with 2000adreview on this one. I liked the old 80s size too. I liked that it was bigger than the American comics. The art looked better, they could put the odd thrill sucker in the margins.
    It`s not a huge deal, but it would be nice to have an input page I could read.

Steamboy

My main problem with 3 size changes since I started collecting is all my comic piles are now getting dangerously wonky. Aside from thatI;m not fussed although I must sayeveryone american comics must be bigger than mine because the prog has always been way bigger than the yank comics we get here.

CU Krestel

moly

i do prefer the 80's size progs but really just wish theyd make the minds up

Queen Firey-Bou

i don't give a flying flick, as long as they fit into the size poly bags i have to hand.

Max Kon

i don't care about the size, and all the US coics i've seen are A5

Oddboy

The similarities to US comics people are mentioning relate not to the actual size, but to the proportions of the height-to-width ratio.

Not too bothered either way myself.
The artists on the panel at DreddCon 4 were split in opinions...
Dom Reardon: likes the taller, skinnier pages.
Steve Yeowell: likes the shorter, fatter pages.
Ian Gibson: didn't notice that they'd changed.
Better set your phaser to stun.