Main Menu

The Strangeness of Brendan McCarthy

Started by ming, 15 May, 2012, 10:20:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Richmond Clements

Definitely Not Mister Pops

Missed that.

Strange indeed. It has nothing to do with him, and yet he feels like he's some sorta victim?
You may quote me on that.

CrazyFoxMachine

Proof if proof is needed that if people see an unexplained link they won't click on it! ;)

Because it's worthy of comment, although I don't think this pegs him as a full-blown racist it is good old fashioned regurgitation of unsubstantiated buzzphrases and it is ugly.

I am, however, not friends with either David Hine or Brendan McCarthy, or indeed any of the commenters on that article on Facebook and this is something that's taking place on there between them, to screenshot their conversation and share it strikes me as a little invasive. If Brendan had written a blog post "the hipster liberal elite and why I don't trust 'em" I'd feel a little more inclined to backlash.

Richmond Clements

I dunno - he said that shit it public, so it's fair game.

JayzusB.Christ

Quote from: CrazyFoxMachine on 08 November, 2013, 03:58:26 PM

I am, however, not friends with either David Hine or Brendan McCarthy, or indeed any of the commenters on that article on Facebook and this is something that's taking place on there between them, to screenshot their conversation and share it strikes me as a little invasive.

Not sure if I'd go along with you there, CFM.  If it's posted publicly it's not a private conversation, and in my opinion is open to discussion by everyone who sees it.  The way I see it making someone's personal message public would be invasive, but a public message in my book is fair game.
Personally I'm not sure if he's racist, but I found Brendan's comments narrow-minded and mean-spirited. (It doesn't take away from the quality of his work, though.  It's quite a different situation from, say, Frank Miller's, whose work takes away from the quality of his work.) 
"Men will never be free until the last king is strangled with the entrails of the last priest"

CrazyFoxMachine

Again, that's a different version of "public" than a blog post or something searchable like that, sure David Hine's profile is public so I can see the status and the comments but Brendan's isn't at all and he seems only friends with other artists rather than any of the fanbase like some droids. Leading me to believe that what he does on Facebook he doesn't intend to be seen by anyone but friends and his comment is possibly not INTENDED to be public statement of opinion.

However being a bleeding heart hipstery agenda-pushing wimp that's just the kind of excuse-mongery I'd come out with isn't it? - if some great brute invaded my home I'd probably be all like "this human being has every right to share my property, I love him." I MAKE MYSELF SICK.

TordelBack

People say stupid things sometimes, we all do it and we always have: it's just now we do it in writing in a permanent public medium. 

Sometimes we say stupid things because we haven't thought through our opinion, sometimes it's because our opinion is based on poor information or unexamined sources, sometimes because it touches on a personal hobby-horse* and we just can't let ourselves back down from a stupid particular for fear we are undermining our wider belief. 

Is this tendency to say stupid things a major factor in the ongoing existence of racism?  You betcha. 

Does doing it make you a racist?  Not necessarily.  You could just be one of those people who said a stupid thing.

Which is, after all, all of us.

*e.g. a perceived agenda-driven reporting bias in the media, as in this case.

Fatboydale

Quote from: Richmond Clements on 08 November, 2013, 03:28:55 PM
Quote from: Richmond Clements on 08 November, 2013, 08:04:16 AM
http://imgur.com/VlmA8ig

Well, I thought this counted as strangeness, seems nobody else does...

Whats it got to do with his art ... pretty pathetic posting it here , if you had a problem with any of his views address them directly to him or made a different thread , this just seems spiteful ...

You should know better Richmond ...     

Richmond Clements

Quote from: Fatboydale on 08 November, 2013, 05:06:28 PM

Whats it got to do with his art ... pretty pathetic posting it here , if you had a problem with any of his views address them directly to him or made a different thread , this just seems spiteful ...

Careful on that horse.
The thread is entitled the strangeness of... I think this absurd outburst qualifies as such. I'm sorry if you disagree.

Fatboydale

Quote from: Richmond Clements on 08 November, 2013, 05:21:10 PM

Careful on that horse.
The thread is entitled the strangeness of... I think this absurd outburst qualifies as such. I'm sorry if you disagree.

Think you well know this thread is mainly about his art and his creative side , not about his personal views ...
His comment had nothing to do with the 2000ad forum or this thread , only you took offence and wish to make something of it .....

As a mod you should know better ....

And i sit well on my Horse thank you .... unlike some .

Richmond Clements

Quote from: Fatboydale on 08 November, 2013, 05:32:37 PM

Careful on that horse.

Think you well know this thread is mainly about his art and his creative side , not about his personal views ...
His comment had nothing to do with the 2000ad forum or this thread , only you took offence and wish to make something of it .....

You don't get to decide what people post. If you don't like it, either ignore it or report it.

Fatboydale

Quote from: Richmond Clements on 08 November, 2013, 05:40:11 PM

Careful on that horse.

You don't get to decide what people post. If you don't like it, either ignore it or report it.

True , i will report it to you .... 

It is not a valid addition to the thread and it does not involve 2000ad forum ...

I think its just a personal defamation attack ... no other reason to post it ...

blackmocco

Quote from: Richmond Clements on 08 November, 2013, 04:10:11 PM
I dunno - he said that shit it public, so it's fair game.

Respectfully disagree. It's not a public conversation. He's clearly having a discussion with his peers, not broadcasting as a statement for everyone else to join in. I don't particularly agree with his opinions either but that's neither here or there. He's certainly entitled to them, even if they seem out-of-sync with some of us.

Also, I would agree with Dale. This thread's not really the place for this. Brett Ewins got a thread all to himself when he got into bother with the police. If you really want to finger McCarthy as a racist, you should probably start a new thread titled that.
"...and it was here in this blighted place, he learned to live again."

www.BLACKMOCCO.com
www.BLACKMOCCO.blogspot.com

Dark Jimbo

I have to agree. Don't see what it has to with him as a creator. And I've always thought the 'if it's online it's fair game' line is a pretty shabby argument - okay, if someone puts something out there into the public domain they should be prepared to defend it and to see it shared, copied and bandied about ad infinitum, but it still feels awfully akin to rifling through somebody's bins for gossip, particularly when it's got nothing to do with his artistic career.

I'd be pretty miffed if a thread about my artwork was suddenly derailed by an out-of-context snippet of conversation from another website, by people I'm not even 'friends' with on that website, to be picked apart and discussed at length and have people being invited to imagine what kind of person I might be in day-to-day life. Poor show, IMO, but then that seems to be the online world, for better or worse.
@jamesfeistdraws

Professor Bear

This place is bizarre sometimes - it's the only place on the web I've seen a moderator being slagged by a commentator to stick to the point of a rather hazy thread title whose purpose he has personally decided, along with what is acceptable debate.