Main Menu

Prog 2346 - Maximum Thrill-Boost!

Started by Colin YNWA, 19 August, 2023, 01:51:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Richard

QuoteThe Future Shock was OK. I'm not sure the attempt at satire landed, in the sense of people being protected from the law when they are the law. And liability shifting when you're no longer employed doesn't make a great deal of sense. That's beyond even Dredd-style dystopia. Page four should have had the protagonist at least agree to taking down the protesters. It's just inferred, which isn't enough for what follows.
My impression was that the whole point of this story is that the robots don't do as they're told, the human conscience is just a PR lie, and any whistleblowers get shat on from a great height.

QuoteThing is, create something good for the kids, and there's a good chance we're going to like it anyway. 
Exactly.

IndigoPrime

It looks like the upcoming US edition of the first book will be HC. But it's been a bit random with the British ones. Machine Mayhem got that treatment, but Multiverse Mix-up didn't. Impossible Pig will, though, as will next year's Bunny Bonanza. Natch, I didn't buy my own Machine Mayhem, though, and that's now hardly available anywhere. I'm still wavering. (I'd sooner grab them all in paperback than have a mix of formats on the shelves. But I'd MUCH prefer HC volumes.)

norton canes

Not much to add except to say Joe Currie's artwork was absolutely to die for, more from this droid please.

Link Prime

RE: Clownborn High - At 20 pages a pop, isn't it likely that it was originally commissioned as a standalone series?
Probably shunted off to Regened when the sales projections made Tharg's Rosette of Sirius turn Daz white.

Link Prime

Quote from: Colin YNWA on 19 August, 2023, 01:51:08 PMSo disappointing.

Considering you'd probably give Manchester United: The Comic (written by Piers Morgan) a 2.5/5 score, that's some ice cold commentary.

Colin YNWA

Quote from: Link Prime on 29 August, 2023, 04:53:01 PM
Quote from: Colin YNWA on 19 August, 2023, 01:51:08 PMSo disappointing.

Considering you'd probably give Manchester United: The Comic (written by Piers Morgan) a 2.5/5 score, that's some ice cold commentary.

Now come on my critical chops ain't that bad. That's a 2 max!

Richard

Finally read Lowborn High. 20 pages long and yet it still doesn't tell a complete story, opting instead to end on a cliffhanger that won't be resolved for ten weeks.

I did like the panel where a child was flying on a Hoover instead of a broomstick.

IndigoPrime

Judging by one of the comic books I occasionally visit over on Facebook, this issue has gone down well with a couple of people. Notably, they are lapsed readers. Perhaps there's something in that, or it may just be a coincidence.

Woolly

For what it's worth I think having a 20 page strip in each issue is a canny editorial idea, given that Regened only gets 4 or 5 issues a year.

Lowborn High isn't the way to go though.

Proudhuff

Quote from: scrotnig on 20 August, 2023, 08:19:04 PMI am a supporter of the Regened project but all this year's have left me cold.

This was a decent enough Dredd but nothing else works. How long is this "20+ pages of Lowborn High" going to go on for? Looks like same again next time. Is it because it's cheap to do, or is it genuinely hugely popular and we are all missing something?

I'm rarely this negative. I've loved many of the earlier Regened progs but this isn't doing it for me. I accept I'm not the target market, but is "low grade Harry Potter rip off" *really* what young readers want? I'd be delighted if they do and I'm just a deluded old fuddy-duddy.

This^^^^
DDT did a job on me

nxylas

Quote from: scrotnig on 20 August, 2023, 08:19:04 PMI accept I'm not the target market, but is "low grade Harry Potter rip off" *really* what young readers want? I'd be delighted if they do and I'm just a deluded old fuddy-duddy.
Is it just a Harry Potter rip-off, though? My knowledge of modern manga is limited, but from talking to my teenage nephew, I understand that Naruto and My Hero Academia are both very popular, and have similar setups to Lowborn High.
AIEEEEEE! It's the...THING from the HELL PLANET!

scrotnig

Quote from: nxylas on 31 August, 2023, 05:07:45 PM
Quote from: scrotnig on 20 August, 2023, 08:19:04 PMI accept I'm not the target market, but is "low grade Harry Potter rip off" *really* what young readers want? I'd be delighted if they do and I'm just a deluded old fuddy-duddy.
Is it just a Harry Potter rip-off, though? My knowledge of modern manga is limited, but from talking to my teenage nephew, I understand that Naruto and My Hero Academia are both very popular, and have similar setups to Lowborn High.
It feels like one to me, but I fully accept I'm not the target market and there has to be a reason Regened has turned into a Lowborn High Comic with a handful of backup strips. I am assuming it's because Lowborn High is popular and I'm an out of touch old fart. I can accept that.

maryanddavid

Dredd, story is fine, art is brilliant, reminded me of FM on Ronin, lovely. I enjoyed Renk, the story made sense, and got to its point Nice art and an interesting world.
The rest all readable, but not for me, and maybe that's the rub, its not aimed at me. I dunno.
Having  over the years tried to get my kids to read (my) comics, I've never had much success, but Robusters, Early Stront, Computer Warrior and Doomlord have always went down a storm. Never Dredd, by my youngest (12) is currently lapping up The EE edition of PJ Maybe, he loves him! Dunno what that says:)
I reckon the missing adventures of PJ, and Wolfie Smith too could be a good option to add to Regened, teenage tearaway psychic!

IndigoPrime

Curious but possibly coincidental that PJ is of a similar age. Mini-IP has enjoyed a few classic strips from 2000 AD stablemates, such as the Misty books and Sweeny Toddler.I don't recall her reading any classic 2000 AD as yet, mind, but she's perhaps a bit young. Plus I'm not sure she'd be that interested anyway.

AlexF

As ever I'm late to a Prog debate, but for whatever reason I enjoyed this Regened Prog more than usual. The Dredd was decent, the Future Shock had fun art that felt kinda weird and actively futureish, which I like, and Renk is plain fun, and I love the art style. Lowborn High I have never enjoyed before, but this episode I felt like I finally understood what the point was, even if it makes no sense.

My children continue not to have the slightest interest. Joko would need to either buy in a popular Manga to reprint (hey, remember when the Megazine ran Preacher - why not try that again..?) or else run a football-themed story, ideally one sponsored by an actual Premiere League star.

Might I also say, writing for kids is HARD! There's a reason Wagner and Mills trained on kids stuff then spent the rest of their lives writing for teens/adults, rather than the other way around, and it's not because there's more money in adult fiction.